The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ikiru was the first Kurosawa film I ever saw and I instantly loved it. It used to be a top 30 film for me, but it's been a while since I last saw it, so it has faded a bit over time. Nevertheless, it's an undeniable masterpiece.

With The Searchers I have a different relationship. After I first saw it I remember liking it but not necessarily being in love with it. But after a while I caught myself rewatching clips and listening to the film's music. Now I regard it as one of my favorite westerns. Just look at the colors, listen to the great music and feel the sincere sentiment the film breahtes during its final moments... The film's beauty can't be denied:

Seen: 6/6
From my list: 1/25

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Finally 2 films I've already seen and two masterpieces. The Searchers is the first Ford I've seen and while I was not as impressed by it as with other of his films I still liked it a lot. And Ikiru is probably my favourite Kurosawa. It didn't make my list but I'm glad it's here!

A system of cells interlinked
Do you see Kurosawa more as a singer, or a guitarist? I see him as a synth player
Ha!, that's what I get for juggling MoFo with Dark Tranquillity's discography page while I work!

The first six films here (plud honorable mention) bode really well for the rest of the list. I wish I could remember what I put on mine.

The first six films here (plud honorable mention) bode really well for the rest of the list. I wish I could remember what I put on mine.
Did you look in your message sent folder? If not there maybe @TheUsualSuspect still has your list and can PM it back to you.

Now for that hint, I can't wait to see what it is

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I think just one more for Kurosawa. It's a loaded field. I expect Hitch or Kubrick to lead the way. Hopefully not Tarantino.
He only had 2 on the last list, I expect the same. I would like to see Bastards instead of Reservoir but don't think so.

Kubrick and Hitch, 3 each? I think. Shining, 2001, Clockwork, Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window

What do you think

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
He only had 2 on the last list, I expect the same. I would like to see Bastards instead of Reservoir but don't think so.

Kubrick and Hitch, 3 each? I think. Shining, 2001, Clockwork, Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window

What do you think
I think Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut may have a shot.

I think you are right on Hitch, but I'd like to see more.

I'm actually surprised about how different this is from the old list, and I'm glad for it.

I didn't care that much for The Searchers, but I'd be re-missed to not acknowledge that iconic ending.

Have yet to see Ikiru.

Did you look in your message sent folder? If not there maybe @TheUsualSuspect still has your list and can PM it back to you.
Yeah, I looked, but I hadn't clicked the save sent messages button. If they can send it to me great but it's not a big deal, I'm happy to just follow along.

What do you think
Kubrick-wise, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any or all of Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove and Paths of Glory on top of the three you mentioned. I'd like to think Barry Lyndon has a shot as it's by far my favourite but I don't know how realistic that is.

As for Hitchcock I'd love to see North By Northwest and it has a good chance IMO, considering where it landed on the last list.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Yeah, I looked, but I hadn't clicked the save sent messages button. If they can send it to me great but it's not a big deal, I'm happy to just follow along.
Sent.

Suspect's Reviews

Kubrick-wise, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see any or all of Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove and Paths of Glory on top of the three you mentioned. I'd like to think Barry Lyndon has a shot as it's by far my favourite but I don't know how realistic that is.

As for Hitchcock I'd love to see North By Northwest and it has a good chance IMO, considering where it landed on the last list.
Yeah, Strangelove for sure. Felt like I was whiffing on a Kubrick. So my guess is 4.

I think NBNW is a good call as well. I don't like that one so I forget about it. I will stick with 3 for Hitch...for now

All of these would be worthy.

None of them on my list.

Honestly, anything by Kubrick, with the exception of Killer's Kiss (which is also pretty good) wouldn't be out of place.

As for Hitchcock, it would be nice to see one of his early films make it, but I'm not expecting it. Shadow of a Doubt or Notorious would be wonderful, but again, not holding my breath. Frenzy? I won't even waste any of your time.

Finally 2 films I've already seen and two masterpieces. The Searchers is the first Ford I've seen and while I was not as impressed by it as with other of his films I still liked it a lot. And Ikiru is probably my favourite Kurosawa. It didn't make my list but I'm glad it's here!
Definitely made mine. Forgot about The Searchers, it should have.

Yeah, Strangelove for sure. Felt like I was whiffing on a Kubrick. So my guess is 4.

I think NBNW is a good call as well. I don't like that one so I forget about it. I will stick with 3 for Hitch...for now
Re: Hitchcock, I think that Strangers on a Train and even The Birds could be considered longshot possibilities.