The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
I do like how the design of the entries points out how a given film's ranking has changed since the last version of the list. I did the same thing when I redid my personal top 100.

Anyway, I didn't vote for either of these films. Cabaret is certainly a classic but I've only seen it the once and haven't gotten back to it to see how it holds up (have been meaning to,though, especially since I dug All That Jazz even more). Enter the Dragon is fine enough, though my preferences regarding martial arts films have always skewed a little differently to what Bruce Lee was offering, whether it was Jackie Chan's slapstick, the Shaw Brothers' stylish ensembles, or the over-the-top craziness of Riki-Oh. In any case, I can't really fault its placement here.

Thrilled to see the first one from my ballot show up and see Bruce Lee's legacy carry on through this list. I'll post some more about this legendary film later but for now high five honeykid and all the other voters!

seen: 2/100

watchlist:
Suspiria, The Seventh Seal, The Castle of Cagliostro, A Man For All Seasons, Irreversible, Army of Darkness, The 10th Victim, Malena, Sunday in New York

Ballot
6. Enter the Dragon 1973 (97)

De Niro counter:
I

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Cabaret is decent enough, but I hope if this makes it some other good musicals will.

Not seen Enter the Dragon. Seems to be a Mofo favorite.

I do like how the design of the entries points out how a given film's ranking has changed since the last version of the list. I did the same thing when I redid my personal top 100.
I think TUS suggested that, and yeah, I felt super dumb for not thinking of it myself. It's arguably as interesting as any of the other information on there, save for the number of lists.

Speaking of, there's at least one big dropper from last year's list coming up later this week...

Reminder that the other clue I posted in advance was about a film with ZERO tagged reviews in our database (assuming my database query is correct) coming up this week, too. Maybe not the BEST clue, but still one I did a double-take at.

Musicals and martial arts: Two genres I don't like.

I watched Cabaret back in 2014 and gave it a
.+ I must have been feeling really generous that day because I did not like that movie. Reading my comments from back then, it seems it wasn't the music that I disliked but rather the characters.

I know I've seen bits and pieces of Enter the Dragon when my dad has watched it on TV, but I don't think I've ever seen all of it and I have no desire to.

My Ballot:
25. Clay Pigeons (One-Pointers)

I definitely get a "I like all music except hip hop and country" vibe re: martial arts films. I'll just say, watch that video I posted at the top of this thread page (here). I think you'll all find it utterly charming. Maybe not enough to want to watch the film, but it's worth a try. Lee's charisma is palpable.

I've seen neither Cabaret nor Enter the Dragon, so I can't say anything on them. In terms of Bob Fosse though, I hope All That Jazz makes it on this list. It's one of my personal favorites.

Not had one film on my 25 yet.
I hope All That Jazz makes it on this list.
This is always the agony of waiting for the list to be unveiled: every film that isn't on your list simultaneously makes it more likely it'll be higher (yay!) and that it'll be excluded completely (oh no!). It's a weird process.

Everyone hits that moment where they go "nope, too high, it's probably missing it entirely." But now and then you get the utterly delightful feeling of thinking the list has gone too high and it's never showing up...and then it does.

Fun.

I definitely get a "I like all music except hip hop and country" vibe re: martial arts films. I'll just say, watch that video I posted at the top of this thread page (here). I think you'll all find it utterly charming. Maybe not enough to want to watch the film, but it's worth a try. Lee's charisma is palpable.
*Watches clip* *Is not charmed*

Sorry Yods, the only thing that did was make me think of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think TUS suggested that, and yeah, I felt super dumb for not thinking of it myself. It's arguably as interesting as any of the other information on there, save for the number of lists.

Speaking of, there's at least one big dropper from last year's list coming up later this week...

Reminder that the other clue I posted in advance was about a film with ZERO tagged reviews in our database (assuming my database query is correct) coming up this week, too. Maybe not the BEST clue, but still one I did a double-take at.
I'm sure there's plenty of possibilities, but I believe I have one of these figured out! I won't guess until we know what day.

I mean, what can you say to someone who doesn't even smile when he chomps down on "heaven-ly glorrrr-yyyyy"? I give up.

Also, this thread's coming up on 800 replies and we're four films into the list. Probably gonna set a new thread size record for countdowns, and I'm not sure it's gonna be close. I think it legit might double the old mark. We'll see.

I haven't seen Enter the Dragon for a few years, but there were glaring mistakes. Bruce Lee's character had little development, the plot was thrown together, the face punches were obviously fake, and the ending made no sense.
WARNING: spoilers below
How do a bunch of drunked prisoners beat a bunch of their healthy slave masters?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I haven't seen Enter the Dragon for a few years, but there were glaring mistakes. Bruce Lee's character had little development, the plot was thrown together, the face punches were obviously fake, and the ending made no sense.
WARNING: spoilers below
How do a bunch of drunked prisoners beat a bunch of their healthy slave masters?
Cause Bruce softened the guards the night before, then both Bruce and Roper had already sorted out the best of the rest.

Neither in my list. Seen the movie with Jackie Chan but haven't watched Cabaret.
I do rate Enter the Dragon highly. It is campy in parts but real good fun. I particularly found John Saxon's karate skills a bit laughable, but he was probably the best actor of the cast. Jim Kelly was Mr. Cool.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Cabaret is my #9.
Cabaret (Bob Fosse, 1972)

Liza Minnelli follows in her mom's (Judy Garland's) footsteps by giving one of the greatest female performances ever in my vote for the greatest movie musical. The film tackles family relationships, the rise of Naziism in early 1930s Germany, sexuality, self-delusion, transplanted people having a difficult time in their new environment, Bob Fosse choreography, whether a woman can stand up to pee, the joys/dangers of a ménage à trois, the comparison/contrast between Jews and Nazis, the idea that a musical can be a totally honest, believeble film, etc.

Except for one chilling scene, all the musical numbers take place in the cabaret, so this is a film which won't let you criticize it for somehow being unrealistic. All the songs in the cabaret, comment, often shatteringly, about what's going on in 1931 Germany and what kind of moral climate could possibly propulgate it. The song sung outside the cabaret is the show-stopping Nazi hymn, "Tomorrow Belongs to Me", sung at an outdoor hofbräuhaus where the citizens get a little... shall we say... carried away with their nationalism.

Director/choreographer Bob Fosse comes up with so many incredible images that your jaw should be in a constant state of dropitis, plus he elicits incredible performances by Liza, the masterfully-hateful-yet-cool M.C. (Joel Grey), the vulnerable English teacher (Michael York), the doomed, yet somehow hilarious couple (Marisa Berenson and Fritz Wepper), and the wealthy married man (Helmut Griem) who can afford to dally with multiple lovers. They all add to the power and entertainment of Cabaret, a truly mature, hilarious and moving movie musical. I will guarantee you that you will be surprised by it.

Enter the Dragon is an American-financed kung-fu extravaganza that doesn't take itself too seriously and shows how Bruce Lee could have been a big star if he had survived.

I haven’t seen Cabaret (unless that episode of Schitt’s Creek counts) but Enter the Dragon is damn good.

Could we possibly have an index on the first page of all the films which made this list? Since it looks like this thread will get thousands of replies, an index will make it easier to keep track of the films.