Hotseat! Grill a MoFo: rufnek

Tools    

Where were you born?

Do you have any siblings?

How many wives have you had?

How many other people's wives have you had?

Would you have more than one wife if legally possible?

If so, why?

Would you ever live anywhere besides the United States?

If so, why?

Have you ever stolen anything?

Have you ever spent any time in jail?

If so, how many times, for how long, and what for?

What is your favorite food?

What is your favorite dessert?

What's your favorite ice cream?

Can you cook and/or bake?

What is your favorite restaurant?

What is your least favorite restaurant?

Have you ever been to a concert before, and if so, who all have you seen?

What is your favorite song?

What is your least favorite song?

What is your favorite music genre?

What is your least favorite music genre?

Do you prefer board games, or computer games?

What is your favorite sport?

What is your favorite hobby, besides watching movies?

What is your favorite TV show?

What is your least favorite TV show?

What is your favorite theater snack?

Theater, or home theater?

If you had to throw away all your movies but one, which one would you keep?

Do you avoid watching certain movies, simply because of an actor that is in them?

Name 5 actors you would love to meet, and why. What would you want to do to, or with them?

How many new movies do you watch per year?

Name the movie you hate the most.

Name the oldest movie you've seen.

Name the newest movie you've seen.

What is your favorite movie genre?

Who is your favorite action star?

What is your favorite decade of movies?

What is your favorite movie for each genre . . .

Horror?
Sci-fi?
Suspense Thriller?
Comedy?
Action?
Drama?
Musicals?
Westerns?
Martial Arts?
War?

If you could look like anyone famous, who would it be?

Do you share a birthday with anyone famous?

If so, who all do you share that day with?

I am half agony, half hope.
If you could run the country for one day, what would you hope to accomplish?

Who's your best friend and how long have you known him/her?

Can you recite anything from memory besides the Pledge of Allegiance?

Would you consider camping in a tent or staying in a budget motel to be roughing it?

Johann von Goethe

I wouldn't ask Rufnek too many questions. He makes his responses to things quite lengthy.

You ready? You look ready.
Wisest thing you learned during pot usage:

Dumbest thing you learned during pot usage:
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Why will Citizen Kane never change its position in your #1 favorite spot?

If you'd be a leader, you'd preferring leading a _______?

Your occupation?

Shotgun or Machine gun?

5 music artists you can't stand?

1 movie that MoFos speak too highly of, but you hate it.

Why do you not have an avatar at the moment?

Where were you born?

In East Texas, near Longview, in the great East Texas Oil field, then the biggest in the nation

Do you have any siblings?

3 younger brothers, including one--named after my dad's wartime buddy--who died just after birth when I was about 6. I was staying with my maternal grandmother that day and my dad telephoned the news. I remember her hanging up the phone and telling me and Don (18 months younger) that the baby died. I remember instantly bursting into tears, but I also remember thinking at the time, "Why am I crying? I didn't even know him." Don and I didn't attend the funeral, but they took pictures of the baby in the coffin. They used to do that. He's buried in a small East Texas grave yard where my maternal grandparents were later buried, and I've visited the grave a couple of times. My youngest brother, Jerry, was born later and is roughly 7 years younger than me.

How many wives have you had?

How many other people's wives have you had?

Ahh, you remembered my joke about "counting my own?" ! I've been married 3 times and am still married to the third. I'm her fourth husband, so the odds should be greatly against us, yet we're still going strong after about 22 years together. (Second marriage lasted about 24 years.

As for other loves, it's not gentlemenly to keep count! But there was a period where I had a run of married women. Talked to one of them just this morning--it's been at least 20 years since our affair but we still talk on the phone every few months and sometimes go to lunch together. And I still want her each time I see her. There was another married lady who used to call each New Year's when my office was closed to say she was thinking of me. Never would leave a phone number where I could call back. The calls stopped 4 years ago; wish I knew why. She was one of the great loves of my life. Just guessing, I'd say I've had affairs with about six women who were married to someone other than me at the time. That's not counting a couple of cases where we had affairs and then some years later connected again. It's usually a mistake to try to capture what you once had. One of the funniest things is that the guy my first wife ended up marrying (after I refused to let her come back the last time) later told her I was not to come into the house any more when I came to pick up my daughter! He didn't know I wanted nothing to do with her, but it tickled me to know that she was now his worry!

Would you have more than one wife if legally possible?

Not on your life!!! Men who are into polygamy are basically losers who have to have some weird religion help them get a wife. Women have to have low self-esteem to become part of a harem as it were, and I've always preferred women with spirit. Now running around is one thing, but I think it's just rude to make out with one wife in front of others. I prefer to compartmentalize, that way I can pay attention to the one I'm with and be in love with her at that moment, and then switch my attention and love to another when we're apart. I fell in love with every woman I ever romanced, but there still were a certain few I'd stand up some of the others to be with. You can't love them all the same, so why give them all equal status as a wife?

Would you ever live anywhere besides the United States?

I was in Germany for 1 1/2 years and I choked up when the troop ship pulled into New York harbor and I saw the Statue of Liberty in the dawn's first rays. I'm American, through and through! Three weeks abroad and I'm itching to get back to Texas for some Tex-Mex food and Shiner beer. I love visiting places like London, Scotland, Paris, the Middle East, Bucharest, and South Africa, but they ain't home to this ol' country boy!

Have you ever stolen anything?

The usual kid stuff. As a preteen, I swiped some girly magazines from the pharmacy magazine rack--it was a stupid thing to do, a bad risk, and I've always regretted it. Had a cousin from San Antone, 6 months younger than me, who lived on the bad South Side and that sucker would steal a red-hot stove if you didn't watch him. The SOB even stole from me--minor stuff--but you don't steal from family! My little brother once took the blame for his stealing (Don wasn't 100% innocent, but our cuz got him into it). Since then, I hate a thief more than anything!

Have you ever spent any time in jail?

Well, you might say I've spent a lot of time in jail but I've never been incarcerated. When I was working the cop-shop as crime reporter, I was often in the city and county jail areas. Was once in the Huntsville, Tex., prison, but just working, not serving time.

What is your favorite food?

I get hungry for Tex-Mex anytime I'm some where I can't get it. Start craving enchiladas and tacos in Paris, then come up and drive right by Tex-Mex restaurants on my way home from the airport. It's the not being able to have it that makes me want it so much--guess my love life used to be something like that, too!

I like the cheesecake you get in NYC, where it tastes like cheese and is not as sweet as they make it here in the South. On the other hand I like unsweetened Southern cornbread where you can taste the corn, not the too-sweet corn-cake they try to pass off in most places. When ordering home delivery, I prefer Chinese or Japanese food over pizza. Love sushi (especially eel), oysters on the half shell, and escargot. I've eaten chitlins and have had scrambled eggs and calf brains for breakfast.

One of my favorite meals is a bowl of beans (pinto, butterbeans, or blackeye peas), cornbread, buttermilk and a big slice of onion that bites back at each bite.

If I had to pick one city for food, it would be New Orleans with the cajun, Southern, and seafood mix. But the best two Chinese meals I ever had was in Johannesburg and Aberdeen.

But what I like most of all is gourmet food of all types at expensive restaurants, preferably when someone else is paying for it. Places where you pay not only for the food but for the ambiance, and there're no little kids making noise (I love children, but I don't want to dine with them, especially when they belong to someone else and I can't correct them.)

What is your favorite dessert?

Hot or cold! I'm a sucker for sweets. Cheesecake I've already mentioned. Love pralene candy, especially from Naw 'Leans. Love the really good Italian cakes you get in good Italian restaurants, none that I can spell, much less pronounce. Also Italian ice cream. Love a really good pecan pie that isn't as sweet as most you buy in stores. It shouldn't put you in a sugar coma at first bite. Also love coconut cream pie, and anything chocolate.

What's your favorite ice cream?

Wow! where to start--anything produced here in Texas by Blue Bell Ice Cream, I guess. Like their Mocha and love their Mango ice cream. Ever tried Watermelon sherbert??? GOOD stuff! As is their Peaches and Cream and Strawberries and Cream. Again, I like most chocolates, but not chocolate mint or strange things like Moose Tracks or that have candy bits of any kind in it.

When I was a kid, we use to make our own ice cream at home, with us kids taking turns sitting on top of the machine to hold it down while our dads and uncles too turns cranking the machine by hand. That was the best ice cream, I think. I used to make some great peppermint ice cream using 3-4 cans of Eagle Brand milk, plus a gallon or more of regular milk. I was making some one summer day for my daughter and sons. When I opened the ice cream machine, I was puzzled that it was only about half full. But I went ahead and dipped out big bowlfuls for the kids and then one for myself. I noticed they were setting on the couch with odd expressions after the first bite, but they tentatively took a second bite. So I take a bite of mine, and gawd, it was nothing but that cloyingly sweet Eagle Brand Milk and peppermint flavor. So sweet you'd have to lick the toilet seat of a dirty Texaco station to get the taste out of your mouth! Oh, it was gawd-awful, and my kids were so loyal, they took two bites of that foul stuff.

Can you cook and/or bake?

It's been awhile but I used to bake a mean upsidedown cake for family occasions. My mom was such a bad cook that my brothers and I had to learn to cook in self defense. We used to joke that mom was once in a cooking contest and Army won!

What is your favorite restaurant?

This is one of my weak points--I can never remember the names of restaurants. For years, sources have taken me out for lunch and they always would ask where I wanted to go, and I never could remember the name of a restaurant. Mostly I like seafood, real Mexican food (better than Tex-Mex), Cajun. Maybe it would help to know that at Disney World, my 3 favorite eateries are Mama Mia's Restaurant in the movie backlot area where you can get real Italian dishes while listening to Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett; The rotating restaurant in the Land Pavillion of Epcot Center, where they serve basic American in family servings, and the Mexican restaurant in the Mexico pavillion where they serve real Mexican food from inside Mexico. (On the other hand, in my younger days, I'd eat enchilladas off the street wagons in Juarez in the small morning hours after a night of drinking).

What is your least favorite restaurant?

Any of the cheap "eat all you can stand" chain restaurants. Standing joke between me and other family members is, "The food isn't very good but there's so much of it!"

Have you ever been to a concert before, and if so, who all have you seen? Gawd, who haven't I seen! Ray Charles, Simon and Garfunkle, Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams (the original, not his son or grandson) Dave Brubeck and his quartet, Henry Mancini and his orchestra, Stan Keaton and his orchestra, Cannonball Adderly, Roberta Flack, Reba McIntire, Ernest Tubb, George Strait (he was singing at the Houston rodeo and Lois and I were dancing when I proposed to her), George Jones, Johnny Rodriguez, Johnny Gimble, Willie Nelson, Johnnie Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristoferson, Bette Midler, Tom Jones, Carlos Montoya, Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers, Clint Black, k.d.lang, Ray Price, Hank Thompson, the "Hag," many others I can't even recall at the moment.

Funny thing is I really don't like concerts, in the sense of sitting and listening to a singer. If that's all you're gonna do, might as well stay home and listen to his or her CDs. If you're going just to see the singer or group, you've accomplished that the minute they walk out on stage.

But dancing to a live performance, now that's worthwhile. Used to when we'd go to the Houston rodeo and were sitting out in the lower part of the Astrodome, as soon as the singer came out, we'd get up and go to the aisle outside the seating area and dance to the music which was piped out there too. You don't have to see the singer and the band--he's there, you know it, but you're dancing to his music, and that's what really counts.

I prefer going to a honky tonk where a country band is playing and dance there. But if we're in a concert genre and we're the only couple up dancing and everybody is watching, gawd, I love that!

What is your favorite song?

My kids claim that when I'm listening to a classic country or classic rock & rool radio program, every song that plays is "one of dad's favorites." They heard them all growing up.

When it comes to jazz, I guess Paul Desmond's Take 5 is probably my all time favorite. I saw the Dave Brubeck perform that shortly before Desmond died. That's the ultimate cool jazz tune, I think, although I like Johnny Griffth's Offering Time, Thelonius Monk's II BS, and Holt and Young's Girl Talk... See what happens? I mention one tune and then start thinking of all the other's I like.

Rock 'N Roll--I like the rock of the 1950s when it was still had a rockabilly flavor to it, like Elvis' up-tempo version of Bill Monroe's bluegrass classic of Blue Moon of Kentucky. I liked the Everly's tight country harmony. Loved Chuck Berry's beat that always matched the motion of a car. But there were two singers who, the first time I heard them, it was one of those stop-the-car-and-dance in the street moments. One was Little Richard. There had been other black rock singers but none that had the full throttle shouts of a black man like I used to hear on a black blues program that came on about midnight Saturday nights out of Shreveport, La. We'd listen to the current country tunes of people playing the Louisiana Hayride in Shreveport, and then as the Hayride ended, the all black blues program came on with people like Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, and Bobby "Blue" Bland. My folks and grandfolks would holler at me to turn of that "n----- music" but I'd turn down the radio and close the door and listen to a whole different world out there.

The other person who personified rock and roll to me was Jerry Lee Lewis, the Killer! Hearing him rip through Great Balls of Fire, Rocking at the High School Hop, and country tunes like You Win Again--man, I loved the rawness of his sound. Lewis was the real stuff, not pretty-boy Elvis. I like anything Killer ever played.

But lord help me, I love country music best of all, because you can hold the girl while you dance to country! George Strait was singing This Man Will Always be in Love With You and we were dancing when I proposed to my wife. And I love George Jones songs like He Stopped Loving Her Today, which is just cut-your-throat blue. Even better although less well known is his Cold Hard Truth; guess it gets to me because it could be about my own cheating ways. I love the big band sound of Bob Willis and his western swing even more than I love Glenn Miller's big band.

Hank Williams always gets to me, especially his breakthrough Love Sick Blues. I had an uncle who used to sing that so much that I thought at one time he must be Hank Williams! The only names I ever heard on the radio growing up was Hank Williams and Jesus, so one night when I and my family were at the Louisiana Hayride because another uncle was on the bill that night, I couldn't believe it when they announced Hank Williams and his long lanky frame staggered to the mic. Man, the roar that went up from that crowd must have lifted the top of that hall by 3 feet! I've never seen anything like it before or since.

But if I had to pick the absolute one song I can't do with out, it would have to be an old Bob Wills favorite, Faded Love by anyone who ever played it. In fact, I've thought of burning a CD with nothing but all the different recordings of Faded Love. My granddad used to sing that song, so it has always been special to me.

What is your least favorite song?

Anything rap--it sounds like people talking in a noisy place, not like music and singing to me.

What is your favorite music genre?

Country

Rap

Do you prefer board games, or computer games?

It depends. I play board games with my grandkids but computer games by myself.

What is your favorite sport?

Rodeo: it's unique in that your "opponent" outweighs you usually by hundreds of pounds, is stronger than you, faster than you and can really hurt you bad if you let your guard down. Yet you pay your fee to participate and furnish your own gear. And if you get hurt, you pay your own hospital bills. That I think makes it the ultimate American sport. I used to know the stats on all the top rodeo contestants. I never rodeoed myself although I've run with a few who did. I used to admire the ropers, which is one of the few things in a rodeo that people still do on a ranch. But I haven't the hand-eye coordination for it, and I don't like getting thrown by the rough stock--that hurts! Still, the first wage work I ever did was at an East Texas rodeo when I was 9 years old carting buckets of ice and bottle drinks (back in the days before cans) up and down the stands. I think my right arm is still an inch longer than my left because of that.

However, I saw one of the alltime rodeo greats ride that night, Casey Tibbs!

Do you avoid watching certain movies, simply because of an actor that is in them?

Name 5 actors you would love to meet, and why. What would you want to do to, or with them?

Horror?
Sci-fi?
Suspense Thriller?
Comedy?
Action?
Drama?
Musicals?
Westerns?
Martial Arts?
War?

If so, who all do you share that day with?

favorite reporter movie (not including citizen kane), favorite movie reporter?
least favorite reporter movie, least favorite movie reporter?

how come on all of the above?

I really haven't a hobby, although at various times I've enjoyed gardening, making stained windows, reenacting.

Don't know if you can call it a hobby--used to be more a way of life--but I loved running the honky tonks and dancing to western bands.

I've like all of the British mysteries on public TV over the years. But my favorite series at the moment or when it comes back on in February is Justified. I've known hard-ass country boys just like the folks in that series.

Any supposed "reality" program dealing with UFOs, the Burmuda Triangle, the Kennedy Assassination, or any kind of supernatural things. Don't watch those "survivor programs" or sitcoms in which there are children, teens or 20-somethings. (There was one exception many years ago, but I can't recall the name of the program now.)

There's a theater grill in the neighborhood where I can have a good salad and ice tea while watching a film. But there's always the risk they'll preview something like How to Eat Fried Worms while you're having supper.

I haven't a home theater like my son had built in his home, but I prefer to watch movies at home than in a theater.

Oh, I can't imagine anyone mean enough to force me to throw away anything of mine, but if you mean what's my favorite, there's only one answer--Citizen Kane.

Yes, there are many modern actors and directors that I'd rather crawl through broken glass than watch their work.

Most of the interesting actors are long dead and gone. Still, I would have liked to have visited with Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in WWII. I used to know an old rodeo hand who used to work as an extra in some of Audie's westerns, and from his stories and others, Murphy was one hell of a tough and rowdy guy. He had a big gambling problem trying to match the emotional highs of combat. He also was quite a ladies' man in real life. And a fellow Texan.

John Huston would have been an interesting conversation.

Years ago, under special circumstances, I would have loved to encounter Kim Novak, Rita Hayworth, and Mae West.

It varies, but not nearly as much as some in this forum. If you talk about going to the theater to see, probably 3-4 at most, but I see some interesting things on TV.

Too much competition among new films, but the remake of 3:10 to Yuma would pretty well stand in for the rest.

Haven't counted the rings on the reels, but probably Edison's film of the train robbery, Birth of a Nation, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Greed and the Chaplin and other comedies have to be among the oldest.

The King's Speech

Film noire

Errol Flynn

1939-1949

Horror? The original The Haunting. It's the only really adult horror film I know of. After that Abbot and Costello Meet Whoever.

Suspense Thriller? Not sure what this encompasses, but Rear Window or Rope I guess.

Comedy? The Great Race and The Odd Couple

Action? Not sure what this encompasses. Flynn's Adventures of Robin Hood film?
Drama? Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Best Years of Our Lives, The Hill, All my Sons (may not have the title correct, with Robinson, Lancaster, Howard Duff), Night of the Hunter, The Next Voice You Hear, lots of others

Musicals? Mama Mia! Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Chicago,

Westerns? Shane, The Searchers, Yellow Sky

Martial Arts? I'm not much into martial arts, but some of Jackie Chan's stuff is funny.

War? 12 O'Clock High, The War Lover, Sands of Iwo Jima, Gettysburg, All Quite on the Western Front (the movie), Pork Chop Hill (the one about Korea starring Gregory Peck), lots of others. The most realistic war film and one of my favorites is A Walk in the Sun.

I've never understood wanting to look like someone else. Guess I like me too much. I've done pretty well just as I am, even if I've gotten overweight at times.

Probably, but I haven't the faintest idea who. However, I once knew two other reporters and a newspaper editor who shared my day of birth although different years. So it seems Aries are attracted to journalism.

Fascinating stuff. I love eel sushi, too. The stuff about your affairs is intriguing, but I've gotta say, I wanna slap you. Cheating or being someone's mistress -- or, in your case, "master" -- isn't very nice. You sound like quite a wild animal and I would have hated being hung up on you.

Okay, questions:

1. Do you read? Do you have any favorite books?

2. Since you're such a ladies man, I've gotta ask -- have you ever been a man's man? Ever been involved with a man? Or, have you ever had men after you?

3. What alcoholic beverages do you like?

4. Who are your heroes?

If you could run the country for one day, what would you hope to accomplish?

Who's your best friend and how long have you known him/her?

Can you recite anything from memory besides the Pledge of Allegiance?

Would you consider camping in a tent or staying in a budget motel to be roughing it?
I'm tempted to say if I could run the country for a day, I'd try to do away with people wanting to "run" the country like a herd of sheep or cattle. This country is to important for that and it's problems go way beyond a one-day, one-person solution.

My best friend is my wife. She could tell you more exactly but I've known her about 22 years, since I was standing in a honky tonk drinking a beer and she came dancing by with the prettiest smile I've ever seen. She was turning her head at that moment and so looked straight at me. When I smiled back, she kept looking and smiling, so I decided I wanted to know who this lovely thing was. I had not seen her in there before, so watched her and her partner as they left the dance floor to figure out if he was a husband or what. They were with a group and when they left the floor, he went over to this stand-up table where all the guys were gathered, and she went over to this stand-up table where all the girls were gathered, and I figured, "Yeah, they're married!" Didn't stop me, however. I went over and asked her to dance. A lot of guys rather cut their own throat than approach a table full of women to ask one to dance, but I always found bold moves usually pay off. So I asked her to dance, and she did. Thing I love about country music is that you can hold a complete stranger in your arms and find out all sorts of things while you're dancing. The music ended and I just kept dancing with her until the next record came on, so we danced through a second song. She said she'd have to leave after the second song because her girlfriend drove that night and was ready to go home, so I established she was not married. Found out the group was a dance class and the guy was just one of the students. They came to that club each Wednesday after class and I made a date to see her there the next Wednesday. Walked her out to the car and kissed her without holding her close so she wouldn't think I was a wolf. But I put everything I had into that kiss--her girlfriend told me much later she told her I was a good kisser! Sunday night I went into a different honky tonk and met her just inside the door. Danced with her several times and started noticing her than just that dynamite smile--like the bluest eyes in Texas and other features. But there were things I didn't notice enough I guess. I was holding her hand and noticed the skin was soft and smooth, so I told her she had nice hands. She rolled her eyes, laughed, and said, "Now I know you're feeding me a line." She had terrible rheumatoid arthritis and her fingers were bent sideways at a pretty acute angle. I'd never even looked at her hands; they just felt soft to me.

To make matters worse, I was tired Wednesday when I came home and showered, shaved and dressed to meet her. I was running early, so I just lay back on my bed to rest for a few moments. Next thing, I was awaken by a click on my answering machine--I had the voice turned off to keep messages private from guests, but I heard the familar click when the recorder came on after the answering recording ended. So I grabbed the phone and got only a dial tone. Looked at my watch, and I'm more than an hour late. Tried to call the club but all I got was recorded advertisements, so jumped in my pickup and raced on down. She wasn't in sight when I arrived and I got one of the ladies in her group to check the toilett, but she was gone. So I explained what happened and got enough information from fellow club members to figure out where she lived. Drove to her house and rang her bell. She came to the door with her hands shoved in the pockets of her housecoat, a move I've since learned that means she's mad as hell even if she's smiling. She opened the door and I immediately went into my apology and explanation, cause I figured that was probably my last chance to make an impression. And I did. She told me later she was impressed at how well I groveled! So we've been together ever since.

I know hundreds of song lyrics; used to know the words to Charge of the Light Brigade and the Shooting of Dan McGrew, but haven't recited either in ages. Can still recite the Lord's Prayer and some of the sexier parts of the Song of Solomon.

I haven't slept in a tent since my Boy Scout days, not even in basic training. And the other half of that song is that I never intend to. My idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service or valet parking.

What, just being critics, Sexy and Mark, but no questions???? Probably just as well--you know the areas in which I am really weak!

Wisest thing you learned during pot usage:

Dumbest thing you learned during pot usage:
I'm sitting here thinking, "What the hell is pot useage??" when suddenly I clicked on it.

The wisest thing I learned after the fact is nothing is nearly as funny as it seems to be when you're high. The dumbest thing I learned is that if 4-5 guys are sitting in a closed up VW toking away on pot with smoke hanging like a thick haze in the air, and then suddenly every one steps out into the brisk cold air of a German autumn and start walking quickly toward the barracks, one of those guys just may black out and be left lying on his butt unconcious under a tree. Guess who. Pot only pays if you sell and don't smoke it.

Why will Citizen Kane never change its position in your #1 favorite spot?
I'd never say never. There's always a chance that something better could come along someday. But at age 67, the chances are getting shorter day by day, year by year.

If you'd be a leader, you'd preferring leading a _______?
A group of women. I've always gotten along better with women than with men. I've never had longlasting friendships with men outside family bloodlines--brothers, fathers, sons.

News reporter

Shotgun or Machine gun?
In what context?

5 music artists you can't stand?
Muscians I dislike I wouldn't know the name of. The only People Magazine sort of famous Muscian whose works I never cared for but whose name I know is Michael Jackson. Didn't care for him even when he was a cute little kid in a family act. Just not my kind of music.

1 movie that MoFos speak too highly of, but you hate it.
Hate is too harsh a word. A lot of people liked Saving Pvt. Ryan but I didn't care for it. Doesn't make me right and them wrong. Just a difference of taste and opinion.

Why do you not have an avatar at the moment?[/quote]

What's an avatar? Actually someone in the forum asked me some time ago if I'd like them to make an avatar for me, since I'm basically computer illiterate. But I don't see any useful purpose for it and can't think of anything I would want to somehow represent me. Guess I just don't like being pinned down and categorized.

Do you have more than 10 toes?
Yes, I also have 10 fingers, 2 ears, 1 nose, 2 arms, 2 hands, 2 legs, 2 feet, 1...well, you get the picture. I still have all 10 toes although I once nearly severed a couple of them with a shovel when I was a kid.

favorite reporter movie (not including citizen kane), favorite movie reporter?
least favorite reporter movie, least favorite movie reporter?

how come on all of the above?
His Girl Friday, because the cast is so much better than other film versions of Front Page. The original award winning play was written by two former newspapermen, and to anyone who ever worked the police beat for a metropolitan newspaper, the plot and comedy are amazingly familar. There also is a lot of truth in Kirk Douglas's portrayal of a reporter in Ace in the Hole, also a very good film. And years ago Jack Webb did a very good newspaper film called -30-. I didn't much like the movie All the President's Men, but I used most of the techniques pictured in that film to get information on a story with the single exception of calling a secretary with a fake message to get her out of the office so you can read her files. You can wreck your sources doing things like that, plus it's basically dishonest. Watching that film was like having worked overtime at the office (plus I'm jealous that I never, ever have worked for a newspaper where an operator took telephone messages for you--you have your phone and your answering machine.

Least favorite reporter movie and reporter? Probably would be something that focused on television news--there's an old animosity between real working reporters in the print trade and the "barking dogs" of television news who know less and are much better paid, besides being better looking and better dressed. The sleze-bag TV reporter of the Die Hard movies, for instance, all ego and no brains.