Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Killer (1989)

-

One of those movies I've always wanted to see but just slipped through the cracks. Probably a top 10 action for me. I had only seen some of John Woo's American films and wasn't impressed, including the much loved Face Off. This was on a different level and I'd like to try Hard Boiled next. The only thing is that I think this movie, and Woo, have been pretty influential and I'm not a big fan of where action movies have gone. Too much stylish slo-mo crap now.

The Killer (1989)

-

One of those movies I've always wanted to see but just slipped through the cracks. Probably a top 10 action for me. I had only seen some of John Woo's American films and wasn't impressed, including the much loved Face Off. This was on a different level and I'd like to try Hard Boiled next. The only thing is that I think this movie, and Woo, have been pretty influential and I'm not a big fan of where action movies have gone. Too much stylish slo-mo crap now.
Hard Boiled > The Killer for me, you're going to love it for sure!

Both rather good.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Spirited Away (2001) - Rewatch on Blu-ray

Gone Girl (David Fincher, 2014)
+
#Believe

Alien Code 2017

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Founder

There Will Be Blood but with burger patties and Michael Keaton.

Really.

I Drink Your Powdered Milkshake!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Good Boys (2019)

This movie ended up like I expected, where the foul mouthed kids gag works until it doesn't. The jokes are mostly funny only because of their age, and their screams from running or fighting got old quick. It will still leave you laughing uncontrollably from the shock element at some parts though.

The Hero (2017)

I 've always liked Sam Elliott ( really , who doesn't?) but know him more as a character actor in supportive , not starring, roles. And I've had a generally favorable impression of Nick Offerman, though quite frankly, my view came mostly from seeing the beautiful woodwork he showcased on the old Letterman show-but, man, can that guy build an oar.

So when I heard that these two men were in one movie, even though it was based on a not too sanguine theme, I decided to give it a go. Alas this is one movie that seemed to turn out to be less than the sum of its parts.

Briefly, the conceit of the film is that Elliott plays an actor named Lee whose last successful roles are decades behind him. Once a star of Westerns, ( his most iconic role titled The Hero) he's now reduced to using his deeply resonant and pleasing voice to sell barbecue sauce. He's also estranged from a daughter that he apparently paid no attention to for most of her life, and spends his golden years in a wasteful, pointless haze of getting zoned out on drugs. Nick Offerman plays his former costar and current drug dealer, and who also introduces Lee to a beautiful young woman with whom he embarks on a unlikely romance.

The crux of the film is that Lee has received a severe medical diagnosis, which is
the ( depressing) driving wheel of the meager plot. There's not a lot of substance to this story, and the characters are not really fleshed out or dynamic enough to gain much of our empathy. There are also some Western flavored dream sequences, which add little to the story except a benign confusion.

Questions about life are sketchily asked, but do we really want to wait around to find the answers? Will Lee find a way of reconciling with his daughter? Will he get the role in a movie, which he has been lying about already having obtained - supposedly to boost his ego or to keep from facing his fate: the viewer isn't exactly sure why. Actually, there are a number of inconsistencies in this movie, which I will not detail , except to say there are times when the viewer cannot suspend disbelief at the actions of the characters.

The film also moves along at a slow lugubrious pace. It is not as slow as the way time moves, say, when having root canal - but it IS as mercilessly slow as waiting to have root canal, when the dentist is an hour late (or in this case, an hour and a half, which is the length of the film).

There are a few highlights, which flash briefly on the screen, as we trudge through the plot. There are some moments when Lee shows himself as the consummate professional he once was - reading his lines with a passion born from his own self, or treating his starry eyed fans with a gentle kindness that shows us the man could be a class act. Most of the time, however he is a selfish, self indulgent wastrel and we question why he's even on good terms with his ex wife (Katherine Ross) - or, in fact, why we should care about him at all.

This is not to say that an audience cannot be thoroughly engaged by a character that has little moral center or purpose- Five Easy Pieces, one of my favorite movies, asks us to be invested in such a man. And we are- but that is a movie that is both funny and tragic, with unforgettable performances and sly twists of storyline - and as well crafted and finely polished as a rare diamond.

And there are times when this film rises above being a Hallmark movie for potheads - and manages to resonate the universal dilemma of how we view the journey of our lives, how fate can force us to reflect on our mistakes, and how we might seek to correct them in what seems like the final hour.

But unfortunately, the film as a whole doesn't explore these issues in a new or meaningful way, and we are left with the prospect of admiring a man who is not all that admirable. In fact, I found myself more invested in Sam Elliott, who can still command the screen at 70+ years, than the character he portrays.

I don't know if Sam is just meant to be a great supporting actor, but not one to shoulder a movie as the central star - or if this was just a poor choice of movie for him. As earnest as the premise may have been, and especially considering the dour theme; this movie is just a vehicle to pass the time. Slowly and not too gracefully , as does our anti - hero protagonist.

Probably would have given it even less stars, save for the still vital presence of Sam Elliott ( who still has the stuff to take on roles in better movies) and a few nice shots of the ocean.

Zandalee (1991) 2/5 Nic Cage film where he seduces the wife played by Erika Anderson, of his poet friend (Judge Reinhold). Apparently this movie went straight to video. Has small appearances by Steve Buscemi and Maris Tomei. It's one of those movies that are bad but for whatever reason I kept watching till the end.

Humoresque (Frank Borzage, 1920)

Sadly doesn't quite live up to the name imo

Soller's Point

I thought I would give this a go from the good reviews I have read here without knowing anything about it... erm, first I'm not really into movies about teenagers.. especially squinty eyed try to act cool kids, secondly the movie begins with the main kid flipping an egg about 20 times for a sandwich whilst not even looking.. then rather than eat it, makes a phone call instead.. okay time to eat now?? no, he makes another phone call... surely now any person will want to eat their sandwich. no he goes and spies on his dad who's on the phone in the yard for a few minutes... there is then a cut that seems put in just to prove the cold fried egg sandwich had to be eaten, that was enough for me

Soller's Point

I thought I would give this a go from the good reviews I have read here without knowing anything about it... erm, first I'm not really into movies about teenagers.. especially squinty eyed try to act cool kids, secondly the movie begins with the main kid flipping an egg about 20 times for a sandwich whilst not even looking.. then rather than eat it, makes a phone call instead.. okay time to eat now?? no, he makes another phone call... surely now any person will want to eat their sandwich. no he goes and spies on his dad who's on the phone in the yard for a few minutes... there is then a cut that seems put in just to prove the cold fried egg sandwich had to be eaten, that was enough for me

I'm not a fan of cold eggs. But that film sounds great.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Burn (2019)
The feature film debut of Chinese-American director Mike Gan, this is his love letter to the Coen Brothers. The film revolves around a gas station attendant who has grown tired of being overshadowed by her co-worker when a robber comes in. When the tables are turned on the robber, the once shy gas station attendant begins to understand him. Excellent performances by Josh Hutcherson (definitely against typecast) as the robber and Tilda Cobham-Harvey as the shy attendant who finds herself conflicted between doing the right thing and finding a means to break away from her humdrum life.

Welcome to the human race...
Double Impact -

what is it with Van Damme and movies where he has some kind of double

The Hero (2017)

I 've always liked Sam Elliott ( really , who doesn't?) but know him more as a character actor in supportive , not starring, roles. And I've had a generally favorable impression of Nick Offerman, though quite frankly, my view came mostly from seeing the beautiful woodwork he showcased on the old Letterman show-but, man, can that guy build an oar.

Personally, I think Sam Elliott TOTALLY carried this film and made it worth watching. I would go as far to say that if anyone but Elliott had played this role, I probably wouldn't have watched the whole thing.