The Paul Verhoeven Club - Master Thread

Tools    

I'll definitely be here for Starship Troopers, because I've been wanting to see that again for a long time. I don't think I've seen the ENTIRE movie, either - I was a kid when I saw it, and my dad made me leave the room during the scene with boobs. Damn him!!! That was probably integral to the storyline!

Paul does like his bobs
Total Recall even had 3 of them.

I love ST.
You making the Robo 30th Weekend?
It's hard to commit to something so far into the future. If I can, and I can remember to, then I probably will!

Full schedules for MoFo Weekends can be found here... posting this schedule here as well though seeing as this is the Master Thread.

Saturday, July 15th, 2017
The RoboCop 30th Anniversary Celebration
3 showings for the movie to be sure everyone gets a fair shot

6am - Central USA
12 noon - British Time
1pm - European Time
9pm - Central Australia

12 noon - Central USA
6pm - British Time
7pm - European Time
3am Sunday - Central Australia

4pm - Central USA
10pm - British Time
11pm - European Time
7am Sunday - Central Australia

OMG I'm off that weekend, but Opeth's playing a festival close by so I MAY be kidnapped on the day. There's no way of telling right now.

Woooooohooooooo!!!!!

Already own Hollow Man, Starship Troopers, RoboCop and Total Recall so I went out and bought Basic Instinct the other day... they never had Showgirls in stock though. Ordered it though, and just got a text message to say it is in the shop now ready for collection

i have to say watching the fourth man i felt the same feeling as in watching basic instinct, this movie was a very good i have to say full if intense moments and renee soudentijc is very sexy in it.

News in on PV.

I reported in the first posts that his next project would possibly be a WWII movie...

Turns out, his next project is called "Blessed Virgin".
It's the true story about a Gay Nun in the 17th century (1600s) called Benedetta Carlini, who was initially seen as a prophet, but was later accused of fabricating miracles and was tried for homosexuality, eventually being imprisoned for over 30 years.

He'll be teaming up with Virginie Efira, the Oscar nominated supporting actress he worked with on Elle (2016).

Sounds like something PV was made for tbh. Themes of sexuality versus the oppression of religion? With Verhoeven at the helm? I'm there.

Gonna repeat this here (already posted it in Rate The Last Movie thread)...

Elle (2016)

Not your A-typical Verhoeven movie.
Well... ok... it kinda is.
It's a Verhoeven movie in that it's brave, unflinching and solidly written and shot.

But it's not a satire, nor a dark comedy, even though some critics who were probably expecting a satirical movie, they actually called it a "rape-satire".
Sure there's a couple scenes here and there with some humour in them... but it isn't a satire nor a comedy. It really isn't.

Verhoeven goes totally against type, and has created a borderline art-house movie, filled with ambiguous characters (ambiguous in love, sex, and even with basic emotions)... and wrapped the whole lot into a brooding thriller which kinda reminded me of Basic Instinct a couple times.

Now, the movie has Verhoeven's stamp all over it with sex and violence, including some blood and gore within the rape scenes too, a thriller-ish atmosphere... but I think the most effective thing with this film, is that is but PV has held it all back to create what is basically a drama backed up by brave and unflinching imagery and acting.

Basically the message with this film, is about life-choices, and just how f*cked up everyone's lives actually are.

Isabelle Huppert also gives a powerhouse performance.
Gladly, she was recognised as well and won Best Actress in something like 50 or 60 different awards ceremonies

Very strong film... and in technical terms of screenwriting, acting, shooting and overall finished product, I'd say it was Verhoeven's strongest movie to date.

++

I'm also going to add Elle to the Movie Of The Month schedules... check page 1 of this thread for the list.

Addition to the thread...

Turning 81 next month, Paul has recently been undergoing hip surgery.
He was due to release Benedetta this year, but had to halt shooting and post-production.
Benedetta is now due in 2020.