Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

The Man from Nowhere - Takoma will probably throw this as well, and it was also featured on a HoF. Great action film a-la John Wick..
I'll third the recommendation for this one. Really enjoyable movie.

I'll post some additional recs of my own when I get off work.

I guess I'll mention my top comedy ballot entries from the 2010's (plus the one I just completely blanked on when thinking about my ballot):
  • [1] It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
    [5] World of Tomorrow (2015)
    [8] Sorry to Bother You (2018)
    [10] The Death of Stalin (2017)
Forgot Greenberg (2010)

I'm in my vague pre-Halloween viewing and October's going to be my pure Halloween viewing, so I suspect I'll take my time on this.
I've been meaning to watch the following and they could conceivably be considered for a list I'd put together, so I'd like to get them in before submitting:
  • Columbus
  • Tower
  • Son of Saul
  • Songs my Brothers Taught Me

From all of those BFI lists, I'd strongly recommend the following pair of movies if you haven't seen them:
The Act of Killing
The Look of Silence

I'd like to revisit Moonlight, Anomalisa, and The Lobster.

I tried putting together an off the cuff, top-x list of the decade a year or two back, but some movies I've seen since then that I now need to consider if I'd shuffle them into a top 25 for the decade:
First Cow
Asako I&II
Phoenix
Ain't Them Body Saints
The Rider

Other than that, we got some notable PTA movies, a few Coen brothers movies (one of which I particularly love, but don't consider it a comedy), and a decade that saw a rise of art-house horror movies and A24 (both genre and non-genre films). Plus Kelly Reichardt had Meek's Cutoff in the beginning of the decade and Debra Granik's Leave No Trace close to the end of it.
And I'm sure A Ghost Story will be very touching for some and utterly lame for others.
If someone were to ask me to describe some of my highlights for the decade, it'd probably be that.

Oh, I forgot the "very good movies, that probably won't be on my ballot, unless I do a serious 'last minute reconsideration', but did happen that decade, and wouldn't be a shame other people voted for them," group:
  • Amour (2012)
  • Certified Copy (2010)
  • A Separation (2011)
  • Like Someone in Love (2012)
  • The Assassin (2015)

Some recommendations:

The Great Beauty 2013 ‘La grande bellezza’ Paolo Sorrentino
Uncut Gems 2019 Josh Safdie, Benny Safdie
The Hunt 2012 ‘Jagten’ Thomas Vinterberg

The Man from Nowhere 2010 Lee Jeong-beom
(Glad to see the love for this one has grown around here, I'll fourth this recommendation. It's probably a lock for me.)
Mud 2012 Jeff Nichols
The Raid 2 2014 ‘Berandal’ Gareth Evans

I posted this in gbgoodies' thread, but figured I'd repost it here:

https://www.listchallenges.com/top-2...s-of-the-2010s

This will likely change quite a bit for me though once I reassemble my ballot.
Good list. I've seen 22 of those. The ones I haven't seen are Cameraperson, Burning, and Exit Through the Gift Shop.

The Man from Nowhere - Takoma will probably throw this as well, and it was also featured on a HoF. Great action film a-la John Wick.

Four Lions - This one got one of my lower spots on the recent Comedy Countdown. Starring Riz Ahmed, among several others, it tackles the subject of terrorism, Islam, etc. with intelligent and thought-provoking humor.
Yes, big fan of both of these!

Okay, so there are quite a few big name films from the decade I haven't seen. I do not intend to watch all of them, but if you had to pick 3-5 from the following list as essential, what would they be? Films with a * are already of interest to me. Films with a ^ are not of interest--convince me.

HELP ME!  

Yes, big fan of both of these!

Okay, so there are quite a few big name films from the decade I haven't seen. I do not intend to watch all of them, but if you had to pick 3-5 from the following list as essential, what would they be? Films with a * are already of interest to me. Films with a ^ are not of interest--convince me.

HELP ME!  
There's a lot of great films on that list! If I had to pick five, I would pick:

Mother! Mother! is delightfully demented, brilliantly twisted and blazingly original. Lawrence and Bardem are both excellent and Michelle Pfieffer and Ed Harris give strong supporting performances. Love it or hate it, this is one Mother! you won't soon forget.

Wolf of Wall Street- Brilliantly directed by a legendary filmmaker with a fantastic performance from Leo DiCaprio, this is a wildly entertaining film. A must see.

Uncut Gems- Sandler gives an excellent performance in this intense and satisfying gem.

Tree of Life- An absolute masterpice and a beautiful, ambitious, profound experience. One of the greatest films of all time.

Shame- An exceptionally well made film with fantastic performances. Intelligent, powerful, and satisfying.

Wolf of Wall Street- Brilliantly directed by a legendary filmmaker with a fantastic performance from Leo DiCaprio, this is a wildly entertaining film. A must see.
I know it's mostly how a film is about it, not what it's about, yadda, yadda, yadda. But, ugh, white collar criminals . . .

These would be my top recommendations.
Boo, I say. Boo!

Interstellar
The Gentlemen
Hacksaw Ridge*
The Martian
The Social Network
Uncut Gems
Nightcrawler
Sicario
The Hateful Eight
Flight
12 Years a Slave
Incendies*
Bone Tomahawk
Place Beyond the Pines
127 Hours
Foxcatcher
Brooklyn
Sully
Straight Outta Compton
Captain Phillips
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Descendants
Tree of Life
A Separation*
Fences
Inside Llewyn Davis
Free Solo*

I think all of these ^ are worth a watch! Deadline is December, good luck..

edit; underlined 6 fav/best ones..

Wolf of Wall Street^
Three Billboards
Nightcrawler
Zero Dark Thirty^

The Lobster*
Birdman*
The Fault in Our Stars
Death of Stalin
Straight Outta Compton

Captain Phillips
The Descendants
Free Solo*

These are worthy.

This list will be a travesty if The Florida Project doesn't make it

The Florida Project
Sean Baker's The Florida Project is an innovative film, brilliantly bringing the audience into the lives of the poor American. This ain't a blue collar film, or one of the working class, this film portrays the no collar. A minor, but aesthetically familiar, subgroup of American culture. However the film is effectively portrayed through a lens that's the any person has seen life through, regardless of class, the innocent perspective of a young child. There's no overbearing message the film tries to push on the audience, but there's a key lesson to take away on simplifying people. Moonee's mom, Halley, really fits the look of an irresponsible impoverished single mother who whores herself out. And she is, she's hotheaded, self-centered entitled, petty,a poor role model, and edges negligent. On the other hand she's social, appreciative, a hustler, and she cares about those close to her. She's no supermom but it's clear that she loves her daughter. Baker doesn't care about the poor decisions Halley undoubtedly made to get in this position, or the unfair outstanding circumstances in her life. The film looks at none of this, it's truly just a glimpse in the life of Halley and her daughter through a hot Florida summer.

Brilliantly the film puts as much focus, and same style, on the significant moments and the daily events surrounding the summer. A house burning down and 3 kids getting ice cream gets the same attention, and focus on detail. It's shot- well like, life itself. No unnecessary dramatization. Similarly Baker didn't follow a trend that's common in realism works like this one. The film covers many dark topics and their consequences, but none of these are glamorized with graphic on screen sex, or abuse, or violence. It's all in the implications, and the subtle human emotion surrounding these events.

I reckon most audience members relate most to Bobby, brilliantly portrayed by WIlliam Dafoe, since most audience members are Bobby. A caring observer with only so much power. Baker doesn't ask you to judge, or critique, or understand the characters. Just like Bobby this film drags you in to the lives of these characters as an observer, who will smile, laugh, and maybe cry with them. And just when you feel like you've known these people your whole life, poof their gone, their story will continue out of your sight (Just like with Bobby).

A uniquely human piece, that accomplishes so much while doing so little.

Nightcrawler and The Florida Project are both great and deserve to make the list, although they likely won't make my ballot.