Most Overrated Foreign Movies?

Tools    

As for my personal pick, I might go with Fitzcarraldo; I mean, it was fine, but nowhere near the "GOAT" movie that I've seen some people build it up as, in my opinion.

Victim of The Night
I'm not a huge fan of the term "overrated", but these are some foreign films that are generally acclaimed that I wasn't a huge fan of, at least not as much as most people...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000, Taiwan/China)
I just re-watched that the other night, will be doing a writeup soon, and that writeup will be saying that this movie needs to never be forgotten, it is too wonderful. I'm a 49 year-old man who has seen a lot of people die and I still cried like ****ing baby. Again.

Victim of The Night
I'm not a huge fan of the term "overrated", but these are some foreign films that are generally acclaimed that I wasn't a huge fan of, at least not as much as most people...

Breathless (1960, France)

Again, most of those I liked. I just wasn't as big of a fan as most people
Really?

I just re-watched that the other night, will be doing a writeup soon, and that writeup will be saying that this movie needs to never be forgotten, it is too wonderful. I'm a 49 year-old man who has seen a lot of people die and I still cried like ****ing baby. Again.

Forget the loud minority of haters, man!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
As for my personal pick, I might go with Fitzcarraldo; I mean, it was fine, but nowhere near the "GOAT" movie that I've seen some people build it up as, in my opinion.

Another one I would agree with.. "Aguirre" had great atmosphere, but I was a bit underwhelmed.

Yeah, not sure if I mentioned it on another reply, but I haven't seen it since 2000. Been meaning to get back to it. Maybe my 20-something self wasn't ready for it at that time, but I remember I didn't hate it. I do remember having some issues with the middle act, I think. Not sure. Barely remember it.

This one I saw recently and yeah. I know I'm in the minority, but I just didn't connect with the characters. I do acknowledge and appreciate its place in the filmmaking pantheon, though.

Nothing really is overrated, but I was quite disappointed with Rules of the Game and The Three Colors Trilogy. I still do not know why Renoir’s movie is so highly lauded as a masterpiece over every other foreign film out there. I do not get why a ton of people think Red should have won the Palme D’or and not Pulp Fiction. I think Pulp Fiction is “overrated” as well, but I still thought it was the better movie than Red in my book.

Di je Karlo?
Not really one film, but a very overrated topic in foreign film discourse are the "dictator bad" movies. The Fifth Seal, from Hungary, is a good example. There's just not enough substance to justify their self-absorbedness; it's always just "we wuz victims n shiiet".
They can be really repetitive too. Biblical metaphors. Indoctrinated children. Weary middle-aged men. Smirking secret police officers. So boring.

The trick is not minding
Not really one film, but a very overrated topic in foreign film discourse are the "dictator bad" movies. The Fifth Seal, from Hungary, is a good example. There's just not enough substance to justify their self-absorbedness; it's always just "we wuz victims n shiiet".
They can be really repetitive too. Biblical metaphors. Indoctrinated children. Weary middle-aged men. Smirking secret police officers. So boring.

You’re confusing unoriginal stereotypes with over rated.
It’s a stereotype for a reason however, because those themes you mentioned are quite often prevalent in actual instances of dictatorships. You’re going to have secret police types, and men who are seen as martyrs, and indoctrinated children (subvert them while they’re young!) because it actually happens.