Most Overrated Foreign Movies?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
So many times I'll be having a conversation, and we exchange what we like, and finally end up with someone else saying, "I love foreign movies" and of course I ask what their favorites are, and then pretty underwhelmed, especially when seems to be the only foreign movies they've ever seen.

And these two selections below aren't bad movies. I think I gave the first a 7/10, and the second a 6... It's just that these movies are constantly mentioned, while some of the great non-classics are ignored.

-Cinema Paradiso
-Blue Is The Warmest Colour

The trick is not minding
Obviously it is always subjective when it comes to this, but I agree with Cinema Paradiso.

Care to tell us which foreign films you like that may be underrated?

Obviously it is always subjective when it comes to this, but I agree with Cinema Paradiso.

Care to tell us which foreign films you like that may be underrated?
He's going to say Battle of Algiers, again

I'm not a huge fan of the term "overrated", but these are some foreign films that are generally acclaimed that I wasn't a huge fan of, at least not as much as most people...

Hunger (2008, Ireland/UK)
The 400 Blows (1959, France)
Amélie (2001, France)
Breathless (1960, France)
The Firemen's Ball (1967, Chzechoslovakia)
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Romania)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000, Taiwan/China)
Godzilla (1954, Japan)
Audition (1999, Japan)
Spirited Away (2001, Japan)
Princess Mononoke (1997, Japan)

Again, most of those I liked. I just wasn't as big of a fan as most people

I'm not a huge fan of the term "overrated", but these are some foreign films that are generally acclaimed that I wasn't a huge fan of, at least not as much as most people...

Hunger (2008, Ireland/UK)
The 400 Blows (1959, France)
Amélie (2001, France)
Breathless (1960, France)
The Firemen's Ball (1967, Chzechoslovakia)
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007, Romania)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000, Taiwan/China)
Godzilla (1954, Japan)
Audition (1999, Japan)
Spirited Away (2001, Japan)
Princess Mononoke (1997, Japan)

Again, most of those I liked. I just wasn't as big of a fan as most people
There's a few of those I didn't like but I just chalk up to taste. I should like Breathless and Audition but I didn't.

There's a few of those I didn't like but I just chalk up to taste. I should like Breathless and Audition but I didn't.
At the end of the day, that's what it all boils down to. Audition seems like something right up my alley, and yet I was a bit underwhelmed. My reaction to Breathless was a bit harsher, but I understand its impact and influence. It just wasn't something I enjoyed.

Most I would mention have been mentioned

Life Is Beautiful
Cinema Paradiso
Breathless

Also, chalk me up to also hating the term overrated as it implies others are wrong in rating these movies highly. I'm fine dismissing them on my own terms and not worrying if others happen to love them. If they do, they should continue to do so.

Also, as big a Fassbinder fan as I am, eating up even his worst movies, I've never been able to even finish Effi Briest, which is consistently considered one of his best

Citizen Kane. And don't tell me it's not a foreign film, because I've seen it and it's totally in black and white.

Also, as big a Fassbinder fan as I am, eating up even his worst movies, I've never been able to even finish Effi Briest, which is consistently considered one of his best
The only one of his films I struggled to finish was Veronika Voss as its incredibly high contrast black and white looked awful.

The only one of his films I struggled to finish was Veronika Voss as its incredibly high contrast black and white looked awful.

Oh I like that one, even though I barely remember it.

Also, since a few people have mentioned it, I think I gave Cinema Paradiso a 7/10. It makes some weird narrative choices in the second half, but I still really like the first half.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Whatever foreign movies you guys have in your TOP 10s.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.