October '15 Movie of the Month: SINISTER (2012)

Tools    

Excellent review! False Writer. You really give your reader a feeling that the film is creepy, scarey I also like the way you mention your own personal likes and even the few small things that you thought were horror cliches. It will be interesting to see if other people notice those to. Well done.

d*mn this is a great review and glad you appreciate it that much !! I wish I could make review like that
Excellent review! False Writer. You really give your reader a feeling that the film is creepy, scarey I also like the way you mention your own personal likes and even the few small things that you thought were horror cliches. It will be interesting to see if other people notice those to. Well done.
Thank you both! Yeah I don't do a lot of reviews so when I do I want to make sure they're decent.

Also yeah I am hoping a few more people will join in, but hey it's only been 4 days. We have plenty of time left!

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I've never seen a movie with such a strong message

WARNING: spoilers below
for the adoption of birth control.

Favorite line of the movie:

Ellison Oswalt: So, you don't believe in any of that otherworldly stuff, right?
Deputy: [panicked] Are you kidding? I believe in all that stuff, I...I wouldn't sleep one night in this place, are you nuts?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
As most of you already know, I'm not a fan of horror movies, but I like a good thriller if it's not too graphic, so I did a quick search to find out what this movie was about. I didn't want to read too much because that would just spoil the movie, but I noticed that Wikipedia listed it as "Thriller/Mystery", not "Horror", and it stars Ethan Hawke, so I decided to give it a chance, so I watched this because it's the "Movie of the Month".

I have to admit that it was much better than I expected it to be. It is somewhat graphic, but it's not just blood and guts for the sake of being disgusting. (It's more creepy than disgusting.) This is an intelligent movie with a good story, a very creepy feel throughout the movie, and it was interesting enough that it held my attention throughout the movie, (which wasn't easy because I expected to hate the movie).

Believe it or not, I'm glad that I watched this movie. It definitely has some horror elements to it, but it's close enough to a mystery/thriller that even non-horror fans can enjoy it. (Although I have to admit that I looked away a little bit while he was watching the home movies because I knew that something bad was going to happen, and I didn't want to see the gory stuff.)

On a side note, the boy desperately needed a hair cut. I thought it was a girl until they said it was her "brother".

I never thought that I would say this about this movie, but great choice Derek.

hell yeah!! Way to gbg glad you like it

I've never seen a movie with such a strong message

for the adoption of birth control.

Favorite line of the movie:

Ellison Oswalt: So, you don't believe in any of that otherworldly stuff, right?
Deputy: [panicked] Are you kidding? I believe in all that stuff, I...I wouldn't sleep one night in this place, are you nuts?

Lol! Yeah you can definitely see it like that. Also I agree that was a pretty funny line. Even though I didn't think the supporting cast was great the Deputy was probably my favorite one.

As most of you already know, I'm not a fan of horror movies, but I like a good thriller if it's not too graphic, so I did a quick search to find out what this movie was about. I didn't want to read too much because that would just spoil the movie, but I noticed that Wikipedia listed it as "Thriller/Mystery", not "Horror", and it stars Ethan Hawke, so I decided to give it a chance, so I watched this because it's the "Movie of the Month".

I have to admit that it was much better than I expected it to be. It is somewhat graphic, but it's not just blood and guts for the sake of being disgusting. (It's more creepy than disgusting.) This is an intelligent movie with a good story, a very creepy feel throughout the movie, and it was interesting enough that it held my attention throughout the movie, (which wasn't easy because I expected to hate the movie).

Believe it or not, I'm glad that I watched this movie. It definitely has some horror elements to it, but it's close enough to a mystery/thriller that even non-horror fans can enjoy it. (Although I have to admit that I looked away a little bit while he was watching the home movies because I knew that something bad was going to happen, and I didn't want to see the gory stuff.)

On a side note, the boy desperately needed a hair cut. I thought it was a girl until they said it was her "brother".

I never thought that I would say this about this movie, but great choice Derek.
Real glad you liked it gbgoodies! Knowing that you're not a huge fan of horror movies yet gave it a shot and ended up liking it is awesome!

I agree that it is disturbing, but not in a "blood and guts" sort of way. There are some pretty violent images but it's more in the way they're carried out than them actually showing bloody slasher-style killings. Also yeah I also think it's definitely as much a thriller/mystery as it is a horror film.

Thanks for participating! Both of you!

I'm glad you gave a horror movie a chance, GB. Sorry it had to be that one though.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

It was obvious the parents hated the boy.

Lol! Yeah you can definitely see it like that. Also I agree that was a pretty funny line. Even though I didn't think the supporting cast was great the Deputy was probably my favorite one.
James Ransone as The Deputy So&So did an awesome job and give a very nice performance and Ethan Hawke is amazing as usual (It's my favorite performance from him with The Before Trilogy)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm glad you gave a horror movie a chance, GB. Sorry it had to be that one though.

I'm glad that it was that horror movie that I gave a chance to. It makes it more likely that I might give the next horror movie a chance. Maybe?

Did not see that, soon will be updated with a review... just wait.

Did not see that, soon will be updated with a review... just wait.
Cool! Looking forward to it.

First watched Sinister in the theater with my horror-loving bestie and had lots of fun. Second time watching tonight and while I still enjoyed it, the big part of horror that I love is not knowing how it ends. Liked the villain and wished we got a little more on the history of Buhguul but maybe that's in the sequel? Creepiest parts were the Super 8 bits. Least favorite part and biggest criticism is the makeup used on the kids- felt more costume than undead. Perhaps it's just me, but one scene in particular looked like the makeup was applied to their faces but not on the exposed arms and legs. Favorite part of the movie was with Buhguul and the power of imagery and would love to see that developed more in the sequel and or other horror films. Probably won't watch again, but overall I'd recommend to someone looking for some scary fun.