Directors you still haven't seen

Tools    

My personal fav of the three is probably The Apartment, they're all great though. I still want to see Wilders The Lost Weekend and Double Indemnity.
Double Indemnity is amazing. For me, if you watch it, it might very well beat Apartment for you!

Since you didn't mention it, in the previous three, i did not mention it. DI and Sunset Blvd would tied for #1 for me, then the Apartment, then Some like it Hot. I haven't watched Lost weekend, the plot did not excite me somehow!

Jean Renoir
Yasujirô Ozu
Luis Buñuel
Fritz Lang
John Cassavetes
Peter Greenaway
Pedro Almodóvar
Kenji Mizoguchi
Michelangelo Antonioni

...and the anime guy.

Guapo, you so crazy...
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Kenji: Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff, Ozu: Noriko trilogy

And while I'm at it

Jean Renoir - Grand Illusion, Rules of the Game,
Luis Buñuel - The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Belle de Jour
Fritz Lang - Metropolis, Dr. Mabuse trilogy
John Cassavetes - Faces, Woman Under the Influence
Peter Greenaway - The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, A Zed and Two Noughts
Pedro Almodóvar - Talk to Her, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Michelangelo Antonioni - Red Desert, L'Eclisse

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
For Mizoguchi I would recommend Sansho the Bailiff and The Story of Late Chrysanthemums. For Ozu (it's so hard to choose), Woman of Tokyo, Late Spring, Early Summer, and Late Autumn are my favorites, but there's so many Ozu films I think are perfect.

His favorite comedies are No Country for Old Men and PMMM film version...
PMMM is no comedy. Its an science fiction horror thriller dark fantasy art blockbuster action tragedy character study. Hence, the best movie in each of these categories.

PMMM is no comedy. Its an science fiction horror thriller dark fantasy art blockbuster action tragedy character study. Hence, the best movie in each of these categories.
Oops

Shame! You're missing quite possibly the two greatest directors of all time!
In a poll in japan in 2010 miyazaki had even more movies in the top 100 than mizoguchi and ozu. Though still far from Kurosawa. Still mizoguchi and ozu are certainly among the best directors. though i find the more modern japanese stuff to be more in line with my 21st century sensibilities.

In a poll in japan in 2010 miyazaki had even more movies in the top 100 than mizoguchi and ozu. Though still far from Kurosawa. Still mizoguchi and ozu are certainly among the best directors. though i find the more modern japanese stuff to be more in line with my 21st century sensibilities.
Thanks for more meaningless data. My sensibilities (yes, even as a millennial) fall right in line with Ozu, I don't think its a zeitgeist thing, more what you're familiar with and exposed to. Mizoguchi is fairly humorless and I don't always find him as poignant as Ozu, but both directors have examined the mise en scene of their respective stylistic choices (long, sustained and moving shots for Mizoguchi, even, geometric framings for Ozu) to a greater extent than any other director I've seen, that's why I consider them among the best.

Ozu: Tokyo Story, Autumn Afternoon, Late Spring
Mizoguchi: Sancho the Bailiff, Ugetsu
Miazaki: Mononoke, Spirited Away, Nausicaa (his other films are less accessible)
Fritz Lang: M
Almodovar: his movies are funny but not powerful

(long, sustained and moving shots for Mizoguchi, even, geometric framings for Ozu) to a greater extent than any other director I've seen, that's why I consider them among the best.
I see. I consider them among the best because i found their films to be extremely powerful (for me). I don't try to analyse movies that much though.

I see. I consider them among the best because i found their films to be extremely powerful (for me). I don't try to analyse movies that much though.
Forgive my incessantly technical brain, I bring engineering sensibilities to film. When I watch a film, I can't help but notice the formal side of it.

Directors I still haven't seen:

Andrey Tarkovskiy - I will watch Stalker soon, thanks to Guap, as he nominated it for the Hall of Fame tournament. I'm also looking forward to seeing Solaris.

Yasujiro Ozu - I will watch Tokyo Story in the near future.

Fritz Lang - I have M and Metropolis both on DVD, so I'll watch one of those two first.

François Truffaut - All recommendations are welcome!

Luis Bunuel - All recommendations are welcome!

Jean Renoir - All recommendations are welcome!

There are more of course, but these are the most important at the moment.

Almodovar: his movies are funny but not powerful
I don't know if that's true. Which of his films have you already seen?

François Truffaut - Shoot The Piano Player, Jules and Jim
Luis Bunuel - The Exterminating Angel, That Obscure Object of Desire
Jean Renoir - I'll stand by the same from above for you (unless you like musicals, he has a trilogy)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Belle de jour was the only Bunuel I truly loved.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Cobpyth you should watch The 400 Blows and if you like it there's 3 sequels.

Since I'm a young movie fan there's many rgreat directros that I haven't seen anything

Fellini
Ozu
Jarmusch
Tarkovsky
Bunuel
Herzog
Godard
Renoir
Antonioni

and I've only seen 3 movies pre 1940 so I need to catch up on those lol