Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I've only seen these two. Didn't expect for you to be a fan of The Avengers.
@Mr Minio is 1000% against any films based on a comic book. They aren't artsy enough for him.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
@Mr Minio is 1000% against any films based on a comic book. They aren't artsy enough for him.
Watchmen is actually pretty good. And then, there are Japanese movies.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Watchmen is actually pretty good. And then, there are Japanese movies.
You only watched it to see Dr Manhattan's butt!

Here are some movies that might make my ballot:

The House That Drips Blood on Alex (2010)
Strippers vs. Werewolves (2012)
The Avengers (2012)
Moms (2013)
Asian School Girls (2014)
Gun Self-Defense for Women (2016)
Lady Bird (2017)
Las hijas del fuego [The Daughters of Fire] (2018)
Suspiria (2018)
Incel (2018)
Unplanned (2019)
The Boy Who Cried Nazi (2019)
It took me until Unplanned to figure out this was a joke.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I had a quick look at the movies you guys had talked about in this thread and came up with a list of similar quality that fits identical criteria. Oh, it's actually a list of my least favorite films of the 2010s.

Doesn't have two-page-long sentences in speech bubbles. Fake.
You only watched it to see Dr Manhattan's butt!
Don't measure others by your own standards!
It took me until Unplanned to figure out this was a joke.
Well, ain't you slow. Slow but steady. TIGER MAFIA!!!
I think The Avengers is the only one he's joking about

Here are eleven more worth checking out that I'm pretty sure haven't been mentioned yet:

A Field in England - I wasn't sure what to make of this when I first watched it, but it has aged like a fine wine in my brain since. It's one of the decade's best mind**** movies and the stuff you could go down a YouTube essay rabbit hole into.

Bad Education - I'm a little biased because white collar crime stories are very fascinating to me, but the direction is like a Swiss watch and Logan notwithstanding, it may feature Hugh Jackman's best performance.

Bernie - Richard Linklater's true crime tale that is one reason why I think Jack Black is much better in dramatic roles than comedic ones.

Boy - Fans of Taika Waititi's Jojo Rabbit should definitely check this one out, which features what I think is an even better story about the dark side of hero worship.

Byzantium - This (surprisingly) didn't get great reviews, but it may be my favorite serious vampire movie of its decade, not to mention one of my favorite Neil Jordan movies.

Killer Joe - A pitch-black Coen-esque noir that along with Frailty proves that Matthew McConaughey can be pretty darn terrifying.

Minding the Gap - A documentary about hard luck teenagers in the decaying city of Rockford, Illinois who bond over skateboarding. It will bring you joy and heartbreak, but be prepared for it to make you angry, too.

Shirkers - Up there with Exit Through the Gift Shop in one of the decade's great unusual documentaries. It's about a film school in Singapore, a lost potential masterpiece and a very, very disturbed film professor.

The Double - Richard Ayoade's curious, 1984-like dark comedy that's highly recommended for fans of his and for those whose appreciation of Jesse Eisenberg faded after watching Batman v Superman.

The House at the End of Time - A Venezuelan haunted house movie I took a chance with on Netflix one day that ended up being one of my most pleasant surprises on the service.

The Edge of Seventeen - A movie I'd describe as the Ghost World of the 2010's about a misfit teenager's senior year from Hell, it features great work from Hailee Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson as her irascible and unwitting ally.

Here are eleven more worth checking out that I'm pretty sure haven't been mentioned yet:

A Field in England - I wasn't sure what to make of this when I first watched it, but it has aged like a fine wine in my brain since. It's one of the decade's best mind**** movies and the stuff you could go down a YouTube essay rabbit hole into.

Bad Education - I'm a little biased because white collar crime stories are very fascinating to me, but the direction is like a Swiss watch and Logan notwithstanding, it may feature Hugh Jackman's best performance.

Bernie - Richard Linklater's true crime tale that is one reason why I think Jack Black is much better in dramatic roles than comedic ones.

Boy - Fans of Taika Waititi's Jojo Rabbit should definitely check this one out, which features what I think is an even better story about the dark side of hero worship.

Byzantium - This (susprisingly) didn't get great reviews, but it may be my favorite serious vampire movie of its decade, not to mention one of my favorite Neil Jordan movies.

Killer Joe - A pitch-black Coen-esque noir that along with Frailty proves that Matthew McConaughey can be pretty darn terrifying.

Minding the Gap - A documentary about hard luck teenagers in the decaying city of Rockford, Illinois who bond over skateboarding. It will bring you joy and heartbreak, but be prepared for it to make you angry, too.

Shirkers - Up there with Exit Through the Gift Shop in one of the decade's great unusual documentaries. It's about a film school in Singapore, a lost potential masterpiece and a very, very disturbed film professor.

The Double - Richard Ayoade's curious, 1984-like dark comedy that's highly recommended for fans of his and for those whose appreciation of Jesse Eisenberg faded after watching Batman v Superman.

The House at the End of Time - A Venezuelan haunted house movie I took a chance with on Netflix one day that ended up being one of my most pleasant surprises on the service.

The Edge of Seventeen - A movie I'd describe as the Ghost World of the 2010's about a misfit teenager's senior year from Hell, it features great work from Hailee Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson as her irascible and unwitting ally.
I've seen Bernie, Boy, and The Edge of Seventeen and would second those recommendations. The other ones you mentioned sound interesting.

Here are some films I've seen from 2016 which might make my ballot:

Split (haven't thought about this much since watching it, so it likely won't make my ballot, but I remember thinking it was pretty good)
Your Name (haven't thought much about this either since watching it, but I remember it being pretty good as well)
10 Cloverfield Lane (probably won't have room for this on my ballot, but it's a really good film; also, unlike some people, I think the ending is pretty great)
Hell or High Water (this one might make my ballot; I really enjoyed my time with it and found the characters memorable)
Hush (not sure this will make my ballot, but it's a very good horror film)
Silence (might not make my ballot, but it's one of Scorsese's best films of the 2010s)
Paterson (might not make my ballot, but I really enjoyed the poetic structure of this film)
Dangal (I might have room for this one; regardless, it's very good and should be brought up around here more)
I Am Not Your Negro (a very strong documentary which likely won't make my ballot)
The Death of Louis XIV (haven't thought about this one since watching it, so it likely won't make my ballot, but it's still really good)
David Lynch: The Art Life (probably won't make my ballot, but it was an enjoyable documentary)

Also, I already posted Sight & Sounds' top 10's of each year of the 2010s upthread, but I decided to assemble them into a list to use as a watchlist until I submit my ballot:

https://www.listchallenges.com/sight...from-2010-2019
Hmm, 29/100 for me. A lot of stuff I've been meaning to catch up.

Hey! I'm back. Don't have power yet, but since I'm at work, I guess I can continue with my "left field" recommendations, now for 2017...

Wajib - A very simple, but very well acted story about a son that returns to his hometown in the midst of Israel/Palestine for his sister's wedding, but finds himself having to deal with past issues with his father. Really loved this.

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts - Perhaps one of my highest recommendations for this, along with Wajib. This is an Indonesian film that follows a widow that's assaulted in her remote home, and then sets out to seek justice against her attackers. A bit of a slow burn, but gorgeously shot and one that has stuck with me. Love it.

The Ballad of Lefty Brown - Bill Pullman stars as a rather meek and aging cowboy that still decides to seek revenge for the murder of his leading partner. Another that's a bit of a slow burn, but still well acted and well shot.

Bad Day for the Cut - I swear this wasn't planned, but this is yet another revenge thriller, but set in modern day Northern Ireland... the lead character is a middle-aged farmer that still lives with his mother. When she gets killed, he sets out for revenge.

The Beguiled - Perhaps this is a more notable one, but rarely see it mentioned. Sofia Coppola's take on the story of women that take on an injured enemy soldier, and how his arrival affects all of them in different ways. Really interesting gender dynamics here.

The 12th Man - Based on a true story of a Norwegian anti-Nazi mission, follows the sole survivor as he tries to escape Nazi territory, while being pursued by a relentless Nazi general.

The Cured - This is one I have very mixed feelings about, not necessarily because it's bad, but mostly because I thought it could've been way better. It's set in an alternate universe in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse where zombies have been "cured". However, they are now victims of discrimination and segregation. I thought that was a really unique premise, but the script doesn't really delve too much into it and resorts to a couple of stereotypical conflicts. Still, wanted to put it out there in case anybody wants to check it out.

Anna and the Apocalypse - Speaking of unique premises that aren't fully exploited, this is another one... and coincidentally one that's set in a zombie apocalypse. In this case, a horror musical that follows a group of high school students. It was fun, but I don't think the story took as much advantage as it could to be *fun*.

Tuftland - Finnish "horror" film about a design student reeling in from a breakup that accepts a summer job at an isolated village where she stumbles upon all kinds of weird stuff. This is mostly low budget, and cheap-ish, and has a lot of Midsommar vibes, but it was released previously, so I thought it was an interesting watch to contrast with.

Hey! I'm back. Don't have power yet, but since I'm at work, I guess I can continue with my "left field" recommendations, now for 2017...

Wajib - A very simple, but very well acted story about a son that returns to his hometown in the midst of Israel/Palestine for his sister's wedding, but finds himself having to deal with past issues with his father. Really loved this.

Marlina the Murderer in Four Acts - Perhaps one of my highest recommendations for this, along with Wajib. This is an Indonesian film that follows a widow that's assaulted in her remote home, and then sets out to seek justice against her attackers. A bit of a slow burn, but gorgeously shot and one that has stuck with me. Love it.

The Ballad of Lefty Brown - Bill Pullman stars as a rather meek and aging cowboy that still decides to seek revenge for the murder of his leading partner. Another that's a bit of a slow burn, but still well acted and well shot.

Bad Day for the Cut - I swear this wasn't planned, but this is yet another revenge thriller, but set in modern day Northern Ireland... the lead character is a middle-aged farmer that still lives with his mother. When she gets killed, he sets out for revenge.

The Beguiled - Perhaps this is a more notable one, but rarely see it mentioned. Sofia Coppola's take on the story of women that take on an injured enemy soldier, and how his arrival affects all of them in different ways. Really interesting gender dynamics here.

The 12th Man - Based on a true story of a Norwegian anti-Nazi mission, follows the sole survivor as he tries to escape Nazi territory, while being pursued by a relentless Nazi general.

The Cured - This is one I have very mixed feelings about, not necessarily because it's bad, but mostly because I thought it could've been way better. It's set in an alternate universe in the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse where zombies have been "cured". However, they are now victims of discrimination and segregation. I thought that was a really unique premise, but the script doesn't really delve too much into it and resorts to a couple of stereotypical conflicts. Still, wanted to put it out there in case anybody wants to check it out.

Anna and the Apocalypse - Speaking of unique premises that aren't fully exploited, this is another one... and coincidentally one that's set in a zombie apocalypse. In this case, a horror musical that follows a group of high school students. It was fun, but I don't think the story took as much advantage as it could to be *fun*.

Tuftland - Finnish "horror" film about a design student reeling in from a breakup that accepts a summer job at an isolated village where she stumbles upon all kinds of weird stuff. This is mostly low budget, and cheap-ish, and has a lot of Midsommar vibes, but it was released previously, so I thought it was an interesting watch to contrast with.
Haven't seen any of those. I may keep an eye out for a couple of them.

Also, stay safe

Good to see you posting. I was stalking your Twitter to make sure you weren't underwater.

Might have a nasty one headed my way next week.

Good to see you posting. I was stalking your Twitter to make sure you weren't underwater.

Might have a nasty one headed my way next week.
Thankfully I live in a relatively safe neighborhood, but driving through and from work is like going through a disaster zone. We are still without power, but hopefully it will come soon.

Stay safe, whatever it is headed your way.

Here are some 2017 films I've seen which may make my ballot:

Get Out (this one might make my ballot; it's a great horror film)
Logan (probably won't make my ballot, but it's one of the only superhero films I consider myself to be a fan of)
Coco (probably won't make my ballot either, but it's a good animated film)
Lady Bird (probably won't make my ballot, but I really enjoyed it)
Phantom Thread (this one might make my ballot; it's very good)
You Were Never Really Here (this will probably make my ballot; it's a truly powerful thriller)
It Comes at Night (not sure I'll have room for this one, but it's very good, even if it has, like, zero chance at making the countdown)
A Ghost Story (this made my ballot last time and will surely do so this time as well; here's hoping it makes the countdown)
Faces Places (this might make my ballot; it's a very moving documentary)
Zama (not sure this has been brought up in this thread yet, but it's very good, even if it may miss out on my ballot)

Here are some 2017 films I've seen which may make my ballot:

Get Out (this one might make my ballot; it's a great horror film)
Logan (probably won't make my ballot, but it's one of the only superhero films I consider myself to be a fan of)
Coco (probably won't make my ballot either, but it's a good animated film)
Lady Bird (probably won't make my ballot, but I really enjoyed it)
Phantom Thread (this one might make my ballot; it's very good)
You Were Never Really Here (this will probably make my ballot; it's a truly powerful thriller)
It Comes at Night (not sure I'll have room for this one, but it's very good, even if it has, like, zero chance at making the countdown)
A Ghost Story (this made my ballot last time and will surely do so this time as well; here's hoping it makes the countdown)
Faces Places (this might make my ballot; it's a very moving documentary)
Zama (not sure this has been brought up in this thread yet, but it's very good, even if it may miss out on my ballot)
I've seen 7 of these. One of them is guaranteed to make my ballot. I hope at least 3 or 4 of them make the countdown.