The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I thought he was only in the dub, which is why I didn't include that one. Nice!
Yeah, he's voiced by Takehiko Ono in the sub, so that makes sense.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I had both LOTR:FOTR and No Country For Old Men on my list. LOTR is a certified epic and classic while No Country is a modern masterpiece.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
2. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
4. Amélie (2001)
5. The Royal Tenenbaums (2001)
6. The Pianist (2002)
7. There Will Be Blood (2007)
8. Memento (2000)
9. Zodiac (2007)
10. City of God (2002)
11. Mulholland Drive (2001)
12. No Country for Old Men (2007)
13. Lost in Translation (2003)
14. Sin City (2005)
15. Hot Fuzz (2007)
16. Up (2009)
17. WALL·E (2008)
18. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
19. The Departed (2006)
20. Battle Royale (2000)
21. Spirited Away (2001)
22. Oldboy (2003)
23. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
24. Kung Fu Hustle (2004)
25. American Psycho (2000)

my full list:
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
3. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
4. Mulholland Drive (2001)
5. No Country for Old Men (2007)
6. Synecdoche, New York (2008)
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
8. The Squid and the Whale (2005)
9. The Incredibles (2004)
10. Finding Nemo (2003)
11. Mysterious Skin (2004)
12. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)
13. Children of Men (2006)
14. Ocean's Eleven (2001)
15. The Yards (2000)
16. Elf (2003)
17. Monsters, Inc. (2001)
18. Up (2009)
19. Shrek (2001)
20. We Go Way Back (2006)
21. Devils on the Doorstep (2000)
22. Zombieland (2009)
23. About Elly (2009)
24. Zodiac (2007)
25. Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
criticker

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
my full list:
4. Mulholland Drive (2001)
5. No Country for Old Men (2007)
6. Synecdoche, New York (2008)
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
8. The Squid and the Whale (2005)
9. The Incredibles (2004)
10. Finding Nemo (2003)
11. Mysterious Skin (2004)
12. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring (2003)
13. Children of Men (2006)
14. Ocean's Eleven (2001)
15. The Yards (2000)
16. Elf (2003)
17. Monsters, Inc. (2001)
18. Up (2009)
19. Shrek (2001)
20. We Go Way Back (2006)
21. Devils on the Doorstep (2000)
22. Zombieland (2009)
23. About Elly (2009)
24. Zodiac (2007)
25. Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
Great list but added kudos for Shadow of the Vampire. We quote that anytime we're out taking photos and someone is in the shot. "Albin, there is a native in my shot!"

my full list:
Wow. Some coincidence they're all next to each other in your rankings eh?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Long Live Napoleon Dynamite!

1. The Prestige (2006)
2. No Country for Old Men (2007)
3. Mulholland Drive (2001)
4. Batman Begins (2005)
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
6. Zodiac (2007)
7. Hot Fuzz (2007)
8. The Lives of Others (2006)
9. The Bourne Supremacy (2004)
10. Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
12. Oldboy (2003)
13. Downfall (2004)
14. American Psycho (2000)
15. Collateral (2004)
16. Sunshine (2007)
17. Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
18. Sexy Beast (2001)
19. A Prophet (2009)
20. X2: X-Men United (2003)
21. Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (2003)
22. United 93 (2006)
23. Battle Royale (2000)
24. Black Hawk Down (2001)
25. Sideways (2004)

Haven't seen the black and white version of The Mist. I suspect it would work, though.

I guess it's time to reveal the films that didn't show up from my list:

24. Lorenzo---This Disney short was literally a last minute choice. It came while watching the laundry. Strong animated short about an arrogant cat and a curse placed on him which leads to some interesting situations over 5 minutes or so. At one point, the newly dominant tail insists on dragging Lorenzo through a tango.

23. Priceless---Again with this film (it also made my foreign list which I'll get to soon). But it highlights the ethereal beauty of Audrey Tautou who plays a grifter who falls in love with older men. As the naive man who gets shown the ropes, Gad Elmaleh proves to be a quick study. A romcom for people who don't necessarily love romcoms, there's some good comedy and some things to pick up on even as the film goes to its conclusion.

18. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father---This documentary is at times infuriating and at other times touching as it reveals the life history of a good man using videos and interviews to bring depth to his character. Sounds like a lot of biopics, yes? Well, as the title reveals, it's meant for his son as we learn the truth about what happened to the father and who was behind it. This gives it a breathtaking immediacy. Feel free to check out The Legacy of Dear Zachary on YouTube afterwards which serves as a more uplifting postscript.

17. 500 Days of Summer---Speaking of relationship films that take unusual turns, here's one dealing with a hopeless romantic who tries to place why his longtime girlfriend recently dumped him. Much like Pulp Fiction and Memento, it doesn't tell its tale in a straight line. But it does have things to say about how we prioritize the good times in a relationship and sometimes miss the warning signs until it's too late. Well acted by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel and directed sharply by Marc Webb.

12. March of the Penguins---Nature documentary from National Geographic Films focuses on emperor penguins and the challenges they face as they try to breed in Antarctica. The harsh conditions, hungry predators and the increasing distance to get food for the baby penguins and the parents prove to make the task difficult. Throw in the dulcet tones of Morgan Freeman as the narrator and you got a fascinating science lesson with a gripping story.

10. The Visitor---A New York professor becomes aware of immigrants that have been tricked into living in his home. But he decides to let them live with him which proves to be life changing for the three of them at least until circumstances take a turn. Thanks to a great turn from Richard Jenkins and solid direction from Tom McCarty (Spotlight), it manages to follow the beat of its own drum.

7. Man on Wire---The true story of a French daredevil who risked his life and freedom to do a high-wire tightrope walk between the Twin Towers. It plays as one part heist movie as he gathers a motley crew of people to help him accomplish this and one part portrait of a fascinating man. It also serves as a reminder of what we lost in 2001, an innocence that appears to be gone with the American terrorist attacks.

Haven't seen the black and white version of The Mist. I suspect it would work, though.

I guess it's time to reveal the films that didn't show up from my list:

24. Lorenzo---This Disney short was literally a last minute choice. It came while watching the laundry. Strong animated short about an arrogant cat and a curse placed on him which leads to some interesting situations over 5 minutes or so. At one point, the newly dominant tail insists on dragging Lorenzo through a tango.

23. Priceless---Again with this film (it also made my foreign list which I'll get to soon). But it highlights the ethereal beauty of Audrey Tautou who plays a grifter who falls in love with older men. As the naive man who gets shown the ropes, Gad Elmaleh proves to be a quick study. A romcom for people who don't necessarily love romcoms, there's some good comedy and some things to pick up on even as the film goes to its conclusion.

18. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father---This documentary is at times infuriating and at other times touching as it reveals the life history of a good man using videos and interviews to bring depth to his character. Sounds like a lot of biopics, yes? Well, as the title reveals, it's meant for his son as we learn the truth about what happened to the father and who was behind it. This gives it a breathtaking immediacy. Feel free to check out The Legacy of Dear Zachary on YouTube afterwards which serves as a more uplifting postscript.

17. 500 Days of Summer---Speaking of relationship films that take unusual turns, here's one dealing with a hopeless romantic who tries to place why his longtime girlfriend recently dumped him. Much like Pulp Fiction and Memento, it doesn't tell its tale in a straight line. But it does have things to say about how we prioritize the good times in a relationship and sometimes miss the warning signs until it's too late. Well acted by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel and directed sharply by Marc Webb.

12. March of the Penguins---Nature documentary from National Geographic Films focuses on emperor penguins and the challenges they face as they try to breed in Antarctica. The harsh conditions, hungry predators and the increasing distance to get food for the baby penguins and the parents prove to make the task difficult. Throw in the dulcet tones of Morgan Freeman as the narrator and you got a fascinating science lesson with a gripping story.

10. The Visitor---A New York professor becomes aware of immigrants that have been tricked into living in his home. But he decides to let them live with him which proves to be life changing for the three of them at least until circumstances take a turn. Thanks to a great turn from Richard Jenkins and solid direction from Tom McCarty (Spotlight), it manages to follow the beat of its own drum.

7. Man on Wire---The true story of a French daredevil who risked his life and freedom to do a high-wire tightrope walk between the Twin Towers. It plays as one part heist movie as he gathers a motley crew of people to help him accomplish this and one part portrait of a fascinating man. It also serves as a reminder of what we lost in 2001, an innocence that appears to be gone with the American terrorist attacks.
Man on Wire is arguably one of the best documentaries ever made, certainly one of my favourites. I didn't know we could vote for documentaries.

I personally don't put documentaries in my lists as I just go for features but if I did, this would be near the top. It's one of a handful of films that have made me so emotional I have had to stop the video and come back to it.

Man on Wire is arguably one of the best documentaries ever made, certainly one of my favourites. I didn't know we could vote for documentaries.
Pretty much everything but TV shows was game. I think a few people asked about documentaries in the Preliminary thread. Anyway, Man on Wire is indeed pretty good. What's amazing to me is that they managed to create tension without any actual footage.

Pretty much everything but TV shows was game. I think a few people asked about documentaries in the Preliminary thread. Anyway, Man on Wire is indeed pretty good. What's amazing to me is that they managed to create tension without any actual footage.
We sit in horror at the prospect of walking a tightrope at that height with no safety equipment. Yea it's great skill that they could do that.

We sit in horror at the prospect of walking a tightrope at that height with no safety equipment. Yea it's great skill that they could do that.
Every time I think about it, it makes me shudder...

and the extraordinary lengths they went to simply to get to the stage where you step onto the rope, it's a marvel!

As was mentioned a couple of days ago, there was a minor issue with votes for films with identical titles. We managed to catch a couple of these during the voting process, confirming with voters regarding their intentions, but two got by us: one that didn't have any impact in the countdown, and another one that shifted the bottom 10 (90-100) a bit.

I will post the reveal for the film that managed to get in in a while and edit the list in the second post, and @Yoda will share the whole spreadsheet for everyone to see later. Our apologies for this and thanks for your patience and understanding.

74 points, 6 lists
Talk to Her
Director

Pedro Almodóvar, 2002

Starring

Leonor Watling, Rosario Flores, Javier Cámara, Darío Grandinetti