Nicolas Cage...what gives?

Tools    

Registered Creature
He's not an awful actor, but he's pretty boring. I hate the way he shakes his head when he talks, it's kinda distracting.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
He's not an awful actor, but he's pretty boring. I hate the way he shakes his head when he talks, it's kinda distracting.
I wouldn't go so far as to say he's boring. He's more predictable than anything else. No matter what film he's starring in, he acts the same exact way. Watching The Family Man, and you'd swear you were watching Stanley Goodspeed.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Registered Creature
Exactly why he's boring, because he's predictable.

Aswell as acting the same in every single one of his films, he does that annoying shaking of the head when he talks. GRR.

Registered Creature
Con Air was huge fun.

"This is a situation that needs to get unf-cked, right now!"
I can't believe that it actually contained that very line of dialogue. Don't think Cage was the one who said it, though...

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Con Air was huge fun.

"This is a situation that needs to get unf-cked, right now!"
I can't believe that it actually contained that very line of dialogue. Don't think Cage was the one who said it, though...
No, it wasn't him. I want to say it was Colm Meaney, or however you spell his name.

Registered Creature
It would have sounded better if Cage had said it.

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.
I think Nicholas Cage is a really good actor. I mostly enjoy all of the movies he has been in, and don't mind his acting style at all.

Exactly why he's boring, because he's predictable.

Aswell as acting the same in every single one of his films, he does that annoying shaking of the head when he talks. GRR.
I haven't noticed that, I'll have to look at his head next time i watch a movie of his.

I think Nicholas Cage has his moments, and I've liked a lot of his movies: Raising Arizona, Honeymoon in Vegas, The Rock, Con Air, Matchstick Men...even guilty pleasure like National Treasure. I'm looking forward to a couple of his movies - G-Force, Bad Lieutenant, Sorcerer's Apprentice, Astro Boy....

There seems to be a running joke amongst film fans these days about how bad Cage is, but it really only applies to the last five years or so, which does obviously constitute a totally terrible stretch in terms of a talented actor picking a long string of turkeys for his dinner. But this is a man who gave a truly searing performance in Leaving Las Vegas, and has done stellar work in other films as well.

Having said all that, I've been working on a theory over the last few years: I don't think he knows what film he's in anymore. I think he shows up and reads some dialogue, goes off and does whatever drugs he's into right now, and would probably be hard-pressed to tell you the title of whatever picture of his is opening this weekend. I think it's just one long shoot for him, and hey, money plays.

I really do not think he is a good actor at all. And don't like him. Cage is one of those that if you could picture him as a normal guy, he would be that guy that all your friends try to avoid. That being said.. I LOVED Lord of War.

Wicker Man was pretty bad.

Guilty Pleasures: National Treasure, Next.

Everything else: CRAP! If you don't believe me, just watch Bangkok Dangerous. Just go ahead. I dare you.

Everything else: CRAP! If you don't believe me, just watch Bangkok Dangerous. Just go ahead. I dare you.
No thanks. I'll just stick to Leaving Las Vegas, Wild At Heart, Raising Arizona, The Weather Man, Matchstick Men, and Adaptation, all of which are good-to-great films with good-to-great performances by Cage.

I think nicolas cage is alright...

gone in 60 seconds is nice

And how could I have omitted Bringing Out the Dead? He's excellent in that also, and it's certainly one of Scorsese's better films.

The sad thing about Nicholas Cage is he has shown superior talent before. I thought he was terrific in Face Off . He completely upstaged John Travolta before AND after the whole body swap thing. He was also good in Leaving Last Vegas and Matchstick Men . But he has gone down hill from there. He seems to be all about the benjamins now and phones in most of his performances.

He's made a couple of good movies Leaving Las Vegas is probably the stand out, although in Bringing out the Dead he also gives a decent performance. The similarity with both roles is that in each the character is pretty out of it, one (*spoiler starts*) he's drinking himself to death and the other he's depressed and cant sleep (*spoiler ends*). I think recently he seems to be riding the wave of popularity he has gained through roles he has undertaken in the past. Now, he seems quite content to ride around on motorcycles and wear cool looking leather in movies that have barely any plot and no character development whatsoever.

He should really get back to the out of it roles he was playing before he became a "movie star" because as of this moment as a person who has seen Ghost Rider and Knowing, what little confidence I had in Nicholas Cage as an actor is fading fast. Were those performances in Leaving Las Vegas etc really any good or has he always been this bad? I cant really tell anymore, the steaming pile of dung that is his recent movie choices far outweigh anything even remotely good on the list.

After Knowing I vowed never again to pay to go and see a Nicholas Cage film, I think I actually made the same vow after I paid to see Next, but for some reason I backed out on that vow, maybe it was for a lady ... who knows But as of now I plan to stick to that promise because it just isnt worth the effort.

Nicholas Cage = a wooden, mess of a film.

Another thing, as I'm on the subject; is that he has a face that is void of expression. I'm not sure if he is a fan of that new botulism treatment everyone is raving about or it is something he was born with and it's only now that I'm noticing it because of all the crap out there. But you need your lead actor to be able to express his/her self to convey to the audience their overall emotions at that point of the film. With Cage you do not get that, is he angry, scared, tired, constipated? What is he trying to convey here? He's the male equivalent of Cher.

I fear I am rambling so I'll stop now

Well over 5 years ago Sean Penn said Cage hasnt acted since Leaving Las Vegas. Hes right. On the other hand though Adrian Brody would love to have Nicholas Cages' career right now.

Someone once asked Sir Laurence Olivier when he was up in years, and had made one awful movie after another...
"Lord Olivier?! Why do you soil your reputation with these awful movies youre in?"

He replied simply "Why for the money dear boy!". Really what did Olivier have left to prove?!
Still it would be nice to see Cage act again. Im sure at this point he'll never worry about money.

Mig
I think Nicolas Cage gets way too much ****.

I personally like him, with the exception of National Treasure, I haven't seen him in a bad movie.

Of course this is largely due to the fact that I'm not prone to watching movies I don't expect to be good.

I thought National Treasure was gonna be fun and adventurous the same sort of way Indiana Jones was.

I've seen him in: Family Guy, The Weather Man, Leaving Las Vegas, Snake Eyes, Lord Of War, Pay Off, City Of Angels, Con Air, Bringing Out The Dead, Matchstick Men, The Rock, and Adaptation.

I enjoyed all of those.
Out of those I saw the action movies when I was younger, so I'm not sure how they'd hold up, but I have fond memories of Face Off, The Rock, and Con Air.

I don't think any of those would have been better without Cage, in fact I think quite a few of them would have been worse.

Based on what I've seen of Cage, I'd say he's a very solid yet predictable actor.

Robert De Niro is quite predictable as well as an actor, yet he is considered one of the great actors in this world, and I think rightfully so.