Holiday Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

The trick is not minding
The Muppets Christmas Carol

Dickens classic told with a muppet twist. And the result is both funny, amusing, and a tad too silly. But that’s to be expected by a children’s movie as told by the muppets.
Michael Caine does an impressive enough performance as Scrooge. He helps catch the grumpiness of Scrooge and does a decent job with the emotional transformation he undergoes.
But really, this is about the muppets.
Gonzo is our host as Dickens and accompanied by Rizzo the Rat.
The spirits are done well, and memorable. Especially the Spirits of the past and future. Spirit of the past in particular is creepy with a ethereal appearance and childlike voice.
The Marleys are pretty funny in the brief but important role. And probably provide the best song.
And of course it’s sentimental with the scenes involving the Cratchit’s and Tiny Tim’s ultimate demise.
This is a personal fave that I come back to every now and then and I hope you consider this strongly in your ballots or you too will be visited by the spirits!

Now You know Dasher and Dancer
And Prancer and Vixen
Comet and Cupid
And Donner and Blitzen
But do you recall
The most famous reindeer of all. . . . . .

let's not forgot this holiday favorite thanks to the creators of MADtv..

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Year Without a Santa Claus

I had never heard of this. I see people referencing Rankin Bass movies which I honestly have to say I have never heard of. I'm not sure I've watched a single one. So I was not coming at this from a position of nostalgia at all.

I spent the first fifteen minutes of this wondering "what on earth am I watching?". It grew on me, though. At first I didn't like the style of animation or the character design, but I got used to it, and then there were a few nice touches like the lady's scarf turning into an angry cat. The songs were OK.

I can't say that this is going to be a film I would rewatch every year, but it was not without its charms.

I can't even imagine not growing up watching the Rankin Bass movies every December. (and I don't even celebrate Christmas because I'm Jewish. )

The trick is not minding
The Bishop’s Wife (stocking stuffer!)

David Niven plays a Bishop who has forgotten his ideals and neglected his family in a misguided attempt at getting a cathedral made. Cary Grant plays an Angel named Dudley who has come to give him guidance, and maybe remind him what matters most.
Grant is the star here, always smiling and dispensing advice and using his magic to help others. Everyone seems to like him immediately. The Bishops maid and assistant both have crushes on him it seems, and it’s amusing to watch them smile and stare at him as he enters a room.
Nivens a bit stiff at times, and is overall pretty weak. I attribute that to a poorly written character though, as I felt his depth was lacking.
Loretta Young is his wife, and unwillingly becomes a point of content between Bishop and Dudley when Dudley unexpectedly falls for her. Her and Grants chemistry is apparent and they have some of the best scenes in the movie together.
The special effects used when Dudley performs his magic is well done. Such as when he puts the ornaments on the Christmas Tree.
It’s a good movie. I had hoped it would have been nominated here, as I had been eying it for months now but I always planned to watch it regardless.

I'm guessing Loretta Young isn't up to Blake Lively territory

Cool that you liked it, I might have to check that out before Christmas rolls around.

Rise of the Guardians (2012)

I liked it and it fit perfectly with the theme of this HoF. Loved the world building and wow did the CG look great! Very three dimensional, especially the cityscapes. I like the way the cars had their roof lines drawn low & sleek. My favorite scenes were in the Bunny's underground Easter domain with all the walking eggs, how cute! (did I just say how cute)...The stone head eggs like the heads on Easter Island were way cool too.

No complaints at all, the voice acting was great. I recognized Jude Law as Pitch but didn't recognize the other stars until the credits rolled. The characters and concepts were cool. I'm not big on superhero fighting, so those scenes didn't do much for me, but I know it's popular so can't fault the film for that. Good Holiday nom!

The trick is not minding
I'm guessing Loretta Young isn't up to Blake Lively territory

Cool that you liked it, I might have to check that out before Christmas rolls around.
Definitely see it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Bishop's Wife IS a good film. Been a few years since I last saw it, but definitely a good holiday film to enjoy.

I think I'll be watching Nightmare next as well.
I do have some stocking stuffers to write up: Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town and the 3 versions of The Grinch which will be written in one comparative review. Along with one I'm in the middle of watching on Netflix; Klaus.

BTW, really liked your write up on Guardians, CR. It's got me looking forward even more to watching it.

David Niven plays a Bishop who has forgotten his ideals and neglected his family in a misguided attempt at getting a cathedral made. Cary Grant plays an Angel named Dudley who has come to give him guidance, and maybe remind him what matters most.
Grant is the star here, always smiling and dispensing advice and using his magic to help others. Everyone seems to like him immediately. The Bishops maid and assistant both have crushes on him it seems, and it’s amusing to watch them smile and stare at him as he enters a room.
Nivens a bit stiff at times, and is overall pretty weak. I attribute that to a poorly written character though, as I felt his depth was lacking.
Loretta Young is his wife, and unwillingly becomes a point of content between Bishop and Dudley when Dudley unexpectedly falls for her. Her and Grants chemistry is apparent and they have some of the best scenes in the movie together.
The special effects used when Dudley performs his magic is well done. Such as when he puts the ornaments on the Christmas Tree.
It’s a good movie. I had hoped it would have been nominated here, as I had been eying it for months now but I always planned to watch it regardless.

I think The Bishop’s Wife is a very underrated movie. it's interesting to note that originally Cary Grant was cast as the Bishop, and David Niven was cast as the Angel. Their roles were switched when they changed directors. I think the casting change was a good one because Cary Grant was great as the Angel.

Now that I'm done with my list for the MoFo Countdown, I have to clear some movies and TV shows off the DVR, then I'll get back to watching the rest of the movies for this HoF. (I've already seen all the noms that I haven't reviewed yet, but I want to rewatch them before writing my reviews.)

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Jack Skellington: [singing] There's children throwing snowballs / instead of throwing heads / they're busy building toys / and absolutely no one's dead!

One more from the Yearly Traditional Holiday Watching bracket.
I've loved this since I first saw it at the movie theater. Tim Burton taking his own spin on so many beloved Rankin/Bass TV shows by using both Stop-Motion animation (superbly done I must say) and a host of catchy, memorable tunes - god bless you Danny Elfman!! Creating something magical for Christmas via a Halloween vehicle. And yes, Burton did not Direct but simply wrote the story and created the characters; BUT just like Tarantino did for True Romance this is very much a Tim Burton film.

Jack, the Pumpkin King has grown tired of "the same ole thing" and while meandering in the woods, comes across a circle of trees with very special doors. Entering one with a Christmas Tree on it, he discovers, to his utter delight, Christmas Town. And decides, THIS is what he wants to do. In an excited delirium, he shares the idea with the denizens of Halloween Town and they commence to make toys, kidnap Santa, so that they can make Christmas their very own.
And the results of their truly good intentions? Well. . .

The dark humor is delightful. The world is beautiful and enchanting, the characters and the voice talents are wonderful. In fact, it's truly hard to pick out favorite characters without simply going through the entire cast. And as I've mentioned, the songs are just f@ckin great!
This film, for me, is an excellent tip of the hat to those TV Specials I still continue to watch since childhood. Touching my heart with equal joy as they do with every viewing.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

This is another film I could watch every year, and often do! Not quite as often as Scrooge and the Muppets, but I do love it.

The songs are catchy without being obvious - I will often have 'What's this?' going around in my head at random times. All credit to Danny Elfman, who also provides Jack's singing voice.

I love that this is a Christmas film that is also a Halloween film and it somehow works without compromising on either side; it doesn't fall somewhere in the middle, it does both well. And it means you can watch it even earlier than some of the others!

I love Sally, and Jack, and I enjoy the oddball characters who live in Halloween town. I love the look of it, the animation is great and the whole style and atmosphere of it. The kidnapping of Sandy Claws sometimes goes on for too long, but overall the film doesn't outstay its welcome.

Even though I nominated this, it might not top my ballot as there is strong competition from some of the other nominees, especially the other ones I was considering nominating!

This is another film I could watch every year, and often do! Not quite as often as Scrooge and the Muppets, but I do love it.

The songs are catchy without being obvious - I will often have 'What's this?' going around in my head at random times. All credit to Danny Elfman, who also provides Jack's singing voice.

I love that this is a Christmas film that is also a Halloween film and it somehow works without compromising on either side; it doesn't fall somewhere in the middle, it does both well.
And it means you can watch it even earlier than some of the others!

I love Sally, and Jack, and I enjoy the oddball characters who live in Halloween town. I love the look of it, the animation is great and the whole style and atmosphere of it. The kidnapping of Sandy Claws sometimes goes on for too long, but overall the film doesn't outstay its welcome.

Even though I nominated this, it might not top my ballot as there is strong competition from some of the other nominees, especially the other ones I was considering nominating!
Same here with "What's This?" And quite the pleasure when it does.
Though this time around the Mayor humming "This Is Halloween" is pleasantly bobbing in and out, now and again.

In fact, as I type. lol

mm, mm, mm, mmhmm Hmm hm. . .

VERY much agree regarding the blending of, without diluting two Holidays so very well.

Right with you regarding "characters, the style, and atmosphere.
I Love Lock, Shock, and Barrel. (The evil lil she-its). And a BIG fan of the Evil Scientist; I just frickin love William Hickey's voice in this.
And so on, and so forth. All the way through, well, everyone, basically. lol

Sometimes I use "What's This?" as my ringtone around this time of the year.

The trick is not minding
Sometimes I use "What's This?" as my ringtone around this time of the year.
I’ve been singing “What’s this?” Around my apartment since I’ve watched this.
The song has taken up residence in my head.
No regrets.