Holmes & Watson

→ in
Tools    

Holmes & Watson

What a absolute swing and miss of epic proportions. This is one of the worst comedies and movie in general that I have ever seen. Which is a shame because it had so much potential. You would figure that one of the writers behind Idiocracy, Tropic Thunder, and Men in Black 3, and the combo of the once genius John C Reilly and Will Ferrell, would at least be decent. But this movie is a far cry decent. Hell I would even take this movie being just bad. Instead this ****ing 90 car pile that somehow just keeps getting worse with each passing minute. One of the few good things I guess is that this movie is in fact only 90 minutes. Its still a real tough 90 minutes to suffer through though. The urge to turn this off after 10 minutes was strong but im a idiot so I sat through this ****ing ****fest of a movie. As much of a train wreck as this movie is, there was at least one good thing in it.All ****ing hail John C Reilly. He is the only reason that I even remotely smiled during this movie. Not even he could make this **** script funny but he at least tried. This man deserves a award for even getting a smile because it was ****ing miracle for that accomplishment. I wish I could say the same for Will Ferrell
I don’t know what happened to this man but man was he ****ing unfunny in this. Between his over the top facial expressions and basically everything else he offers here, he is the just one of the many reasons of this movie being unwatchable. I cant tell if his version of Sherlock is a raging moron or actually smart. So much **** that he does seems like the actions of a idiot rather than some sort of master detective. I cant give specific examples because I have already begun the process to delete this movie from my memory. Apparently Sasha Baron Cohen was supposed to star in this instead of him and man that would have been so much better. Again this movie would still be bad because of the atrocious script but it wouldnt be this level of awful.
Now the real reason for this movie being the worst is Ethan Cohen. He wrote and directed this dumpster fire of crap. I cant even describe the plot of this movie because there really isnt one. It really just moves from one unfunny joke to the next. He must have been drunk when he wrote this or he made a bet that he could make the most unfunny movie in history. A bet that he should have easily won. The “jokes” werent even good ideas they were just ****ing awful and I don’t see where he thought they would be funny. Jokes such as taking selfies with the queen, how women cant be doctors or the dreadful Titanic joke he made in the end. This movie did sink faster then the Titanic though. Im well aware of how awful that joke was but its still better then Cohen’s which was how it was the safest mode of travel and a couple others about waiting for the female doctors to send letters once they get home. Oh **** there is also a completely unfunny and unnecessary musical section. I have no idea why they put it in the movie but I wish I had that 5 minutes of my life back. He did a terrible job writing this movie and I now question how much of those other great movies did he actually have input in.
Overall this movie is a trainwreck of a movie and its not even a fun watch. Some movies are so bad that they are fun but this one is so bad I cant fathom how any one thought that this was a good idea. There really isnt much of a difference between watching this movie and slamming your head against a wall. They both kill your brain in about the same manner. So **** this movie don’t ever watch it. And with that now I can delete this movie from my memory. 2/10

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't understand all the hate about this movie...it's no Blazing Saddles, but it did make me laugh.

I didn't laugh, which is a shame considering the talent involved.

A 2/10 is being hella generous to this steaming pile of horse manure.

I haven't seen the picture, and have no desire to. But it seems to me that classically the Holmes & Watson partnership is much larger than life anyway, so it's hard to lampoon.

I think the Cumberbatch and Freeman treatment was able to get away with a few jokes, but they were kept brief and spaced.

Otherwise I don't think the Conan Doyle stories really lend themselves to comedy.

I haven't seen the picture, and have no desire to. But it seems to me that classically the Holmes & Watson partnership is much larger than life anyway, so it's hard to lampoon.

I think the Cumberbatch and Freeman treatment was able to get away with a few jokes, but they were kept brief and spaced.

Otherwise I don't think the Conan Doyle stories really lend themselves to comedy.

In which case, I would recommend checking out Without a Clue with Michael Caine & Ben Kingsley. That was a fun spin on it.