Bram Stoker's Dracula

→ in
Tools    

I was doing karate late one night in an historic cemetery near where I lived with a sparring partner from the dojo. Before we started training he gave me a spliff and totally messed me up; had to basically carry me home. My husband, then boyfriend, was having a boys' night so I sat at home rewatching this. OMG most terrifying night of my life. I tried to crawl to the phone to ring boyfriend to come and get me but unfortunately for me I couldnt even move enough to get the remote control and turn it off. Havent smoked since.
Dani ur a woman, sorry but i don t know..?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Does it matter when I watch Dracula, Bond?

This might just do nobody any good.
Did... did everyone ignore the “karate in a historic cemetery” part?

Does it matter when I watch Dracula, Bond?
No but u said ur husband, so i guess ur a woman because dani gave me the impression first that ur a man...

No? No one? Karate. In a cemetery. A historic one, at that.

So is dani a man or a woman...?

We need to address more important matters here, ram my boi.

Isn't, like, Karate in an old cemetery, like, in every martial arts movie, like, ever made?
I’m picturing something like Mortal Kombat.

@Dani8, can confirm?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
This thread is better than I expected it could ever be.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Isn't, like, Karate in an old cemetery, like, in every martial arts movie, like, ever made?

@Dani8, can confirm?
Yes, I can confirm that karate is in every movie about karate since, like, forever.

I meant more about being in an old cemetery being in every Karate movie.

Kickboxer
Mortal Kombat

And others.

Rm@Dani8, can confirm?
Urmm I did but it's either in another thread or chris/admin saw it necessary to remove.

@Dani8, can confirm?
My bad, it was just a question to dani, anw it s fine back on track with he thread

I like women s input on the forum, i guess not many women comment here, i know stirckley is a woman, and i think Dani8 aswell,since :i saw writen:" my husband", i thought dani was a man xd

I was watching this the other day with the commentary on... apparently Oldman had some input on a few scenes, like where Dracula was hanging upside down in the form of a bat, and being a bat creature in other scenes...

Then when Coppola said "We'll get the makeup team to do some measurements for a rubber bat costume", Oldman's face dropped.
Coppola basically said "Well it was your idea, man" and Oldman then agreed to be put in a rubber outfit
One thing I love about the film though, is the sets and photography.
They filmed it as if it was a stage play and in some scenes like when Dracula's eyes appear in the sky outside the train, they used rear-projection so it was all in-camera.
Watching again with commentary on
Missed this before, but along with all the strange and wonderful camera tricks like filming stuff backwards and using mime artists to make Oldman's shadow move all weird... they even had moving sets.

The scene where Dracula is helping Harker to shave because the mirror has broken, the camera pans down toward them, and you can see the walls behind them slide closer and closer.

I think apart from Reeves' accent... Oldman's acting, the camera trickery, old-school techniques and the aesthetic choices, the movie close to being a masterpiece.

Watching again with commentary on
Missed this before, but along with all the strange and wonderful camera tricks like filming stuff backwards and using mime artists to make Oldman's shadow move all weird... they even had moving sets.

The scene where Dracula is helping Harker to shave because the mirror has broken, the camera pans down toward them, and you can see the walls behind them slide closer and closer.

I think apart from Reeves' accent... Oldman's acting, the camera trickery, old-school techniques and the aesthetic choices, the movie close to being a masterpiece.
I love all of the old-school "analog" FX in that movie, especially those unnerving backwards shots and backwards voices, which seem very suited to a nightmare. Among all of the various Dracula attempts that have been made over the years, I think BSD is by far the best. It's also the one that comes closest to the book. Even where it takes liberties and inevitably condenses the plot to fit into the run-time, given that audiences in our era need more to arouse them than Victorian book-readers, I also think it's by far the closest to the feel of Stoker's book. Stoker could not have gotten away with narrating the bare-chested female vampires doing their work, but today's viewers would not expect anything less.

It's my favorite Halloween Special.

Decided to pop this in last night as it had been a while. It feels like a product of that early 90s MTV genre. Everything seems good enough as a whole. I kept trying to get angry at Keanu's accent like I was suppose to but I just went with it. It feels like it fits in with Coppola's work post Apocalypse Now.