21st Hall of Fame

Tools    

For the record, while I don't think this particular film should've passed muster from a legal standpoint, I'm not in favor of automatically banning films with child nudity, or any other objectionable content, from the HOF.

There are a lot of films that I, under other circumstances, will refuse to watch. In particular, I object to films that contain actual acts of animal cruelty and normally avoid them. However, I understand that there is a risk of having to watch such films in order to participate in the Hall of Fame. I handle this by avoiding HOFs where that risk is increased (such as Horror and Western specialty HOFs) and by giving them an automatic last place ranking on my ballot when they are nominated in general HOFs.

I will likely do the same for Pretty Baby here.

Along the same lines, one film I am considering nominating down the line is A Clockwork Orange. I can only imagine how Divisive that will be!
Oh no. F***ing Kubrick.

A Clockwork Orange is also something I’ve considered nominating. It’s an amazing movie.

Wow, lots of Pretty Baby talk... not sure if I should comment or not.

I'm surprised there are no movies pre-1978. There seems to be a lot of recentcy bias to the HOFs lately
If I had joined I guess there would've been one earlier film nominated since the two I considered were both noirs. I didn't get a chance to rewatch either though, which is why I'm just loitering in the thread.

I won the 13th HOF with Dances With Wolves. The theatrical cut of that is 3 hours long, but at least one participant watched the 4 hour extended cut, which even I haven't seen.
I watched the extended edition for the HoF, and most of my favourite parts were only in that version. So you should definitely check it out at some point, provided you have the time.

I watched the extended edition for the HoF, and most of my favourite parts were only in that version. So you should definitely check it out at some point, provided you have the time.
I'm definitely going to rewatch Dances with Wolves before the western countdown, and it's going to be the extended edition (only seen the theatrical cut before).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
If I had joined I guess there would've been one earlier film nominated since the two I considered were both noirs. I didn't get a chance to rewatch either though, which is why I'm just loitering in the thread.

I'm definitely going to rewatch Dances with Wolves before the western countdown, and it's going to be the extended edition (only seen the theatrical cut before).
I was another who watched the extended version. Love this movie and I actually waited til I could locate a copy of the extended and was so very happy that I did.

Moonstruck (1987)

I'd seen this once before but totally forgot it...that's my life's story, ha. So it was good to rewatch and I liked it, I guess. I certainly don't have any big complaints or anything. I haven't seen Cher in much of anything so I was surprised at just how good she was and how much I liked her in this. I liked Nicolas Cage too, he even had hair here. Olympia Dukakis was good of course. Though, I thought Vincent Gardenia as her husband was a poor casting choice. He had no screen presences. Danny Aiello's character didn't do much for me either. But I did like John Mahoney. Mahoney was great in every scene he was in.

The other thing I liked about Moonstruck was it didn't try to go to big, or for to many laughs. Instead it took an even pace. It was also a big plus seeing the sights and streets of New York, and the way this was filmed made it feel like a personal story.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	1517843-1576940663.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	59419  

Moonstruck (1987)

I'd seen this once before but totally forgot it...that's my life's story, ha. So it was good to rewatch and I liked it, I guess. I certainly don't have any big complaints or anything. I haven't seen Cher in much of anything so I was surprised at just how good she was and how much I liked her in this. I liked Nicolas Cage too, he even had hair here. Olympia Dukakis was good of course. Though, I thought Vincent Gardenia as her husband was a poor casting choice. He had no screen presences. Danny Aiello's character didn't do much for me either. But I did like John Mahoney. Mahoney was great in every scene he was in.

The other thing I liked about Moonstruck was it didn't try to go to big, or for to many laughs. Instead it took an even pace. It was also a big plus seeing the sights and streets of New York, and the way this was filmed made it feel like a personal story.

She hasn't starred in much but she was really great. Check out Mask if you haven't already.

She hasn't starred in much but she was really great. Check out Mask if you haven't already.
I seen Mask when it came out, and yeah it was great. I seen her in the Witches of Eastwick but that too was so long ago I don't really remember it.

The trick is not minding
I seen Mask when it came out, and yeah it was great. I seen her in the Witches of Eastwick but that too was so long ago I don't really remember it.
There’s also Silkwood, Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean, and Mermaids to consider. I have not seen them yet, so I couldn’t tell you how good they are

Pride (Matthew Warcus, 2014)
Imdb

Date Watched: 01/04/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 21st MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by TheUsualSuspect
Rewatch: No.

Somehow I don't think I'd ever heard of this film prior to its nomination here. As a general rule, I try to avoid live-action films that can be described as "heartwarming." I'm all for emotional movies, but I favor the ones that make me cry from sadness, not joy.

Pride had me shedding tears of both kinds and it did warm my bitter little heart. As per usual, I'm not at all familiar with the actual history behind this story and I don't really care to know. What I do know and what I do care about is that it features some very heartfelt and funny performances and a really engaging story.

It's not without its flaws though as it does get pretty silly at times - even to the point where it's a bit difficult to suspend disbelief - but overall it succeeds admirably in telling a sweet and easily relatable story of love, acceptance, and an unlikely alliance.

+

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Pixote - nom'd Cricket
Child Bride - nom'd Pahak

I would like a no underage nudity rule in future Hall of Fames, this is the third time it's happened in the last 18 months
come on Siddon don't over react. So far nothing illegal has ever been nominate, if it was I'd be the first to say it should be disqualified.

I don't think @Siddon is overreacting. I've said before that there should be limitations on what can be nominated in some of these HoFs, but I was bashed so hard for suggesting this that I ended up leaving the forum for a few months to get away from the pummeling that I got.

People should realize that there are movies that just shouldn't be nominated in certain HoFs, even general HoFs. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be nominated at all, but there's a right and wrong place and time to nominate certain movies. If someone wants to nominate a movie that has been banned in some countries, maybe they should start a Banned Movies HoF, and let the people who are interested in watching those movies join that HoF. Nobody should ever be required to watch a movie that isn't suitable for the general public, or just doesn't belong in a specific genre HoF.

And now, since I didn't join this HoF, I'm done adding my opinion. I'm not going to respond to any rude or obnoxious replies to my opinion because I have no interest in this becoming another knock-down brawl. I just wanted to add my thoughts because I think Siddon should know that he's not alone in his belief that these types of movies don't belong in a general HoF.

... I think Siddon should know that he's not alone in his belief that these types of movies don't belong in a general HoF...
If Siddon, or anyone else is offended by a R rated mainstream movie nomination, that was released nation wide in America and is currently available from Amazon and other legit streaming sites, then they should just drop out.

I mean people drop out all the time anyway. But if they are going to drop out for ethical reasons, then they need to do so at the beginning of the HoF and tell everyone that they have dropped out. Under those circumstances I wouldn't complain if some one chose to quit for ethical reasons.

The trick is not minding
Pixote - nom'd Cricket
Child Bride - nom'd Pahak

I would like a no underage nudity rule in future Hall of Fames, this is the third time it's happened in the last 18 months
come on Siddon don't over react. So far nothing illegal has ever been nominate, if it was I'd be the first to say it should be disqualified.

I don't think @Siddon is overreacting. I've said before that there should be limitations on what can be nominated in some of these HoFs, but I was bashed so hard for suggesting this that I ended up leaving the forum for a few months to get away from the pummeling that I got.

People should realize that there are movies that just shouldn't be nominated in certain HoFs, even general HoFs. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be nominated at all, but there's a right and wrong place and time to nominate certain movies. If someone wants to nominate a movie that has been banned in some countries, maybe they should start a Banned Movies HoF, and let the people who are interested in watching those movies join that HoF. Nobody should ever be required to watch a movie that isn't suitable for the general public, or just doesn't belong in a specific genre HoF.

And now, since I didn't join this HoF, I'm done adding my opinion. I'm not going to respond to any rude or obnoxious replies to my opinion because I have no interest in this becoming another knock-down brawl. I just wanted to add my thoughts because I think Siddon should know that he's not alone in his belief that these types of movies don't belong in a general HoF.

I have yet to watch it, so I can’t comment on it myself, but I really hope we don’t resort to banning certain films due to subject matter.
I agree discretion should be exorcised when nominating a film, however. Problem is, I’d hate for limits to be implemented, but I’d also hate for some people to not join as a result of a controversial nomination that made them uncomfortable.
Maybe something can be done in the future to help curtail this before hand? I’d hate for this to divide the HOF and lead to non participation.
Rather then dismiss each other’s opinions, take it into account and learn for future HOFs. Maybe check with someone, like the host and think about if it’s worthwhile. There’s a lot of other, worthy films out there afterall.

There's always been movies that have irked people or been controversial. It's not going to be a problem and it's not dividing anyone and HoFs will go on, actually it's good to have some conversation for a change. If anything repetition and boredom is more of a problem.

The trick is not minding
There's always been movies that have irked people or been controversial. It's not going to be a problem and it's not dividing anyone and HoFs will go on, actually it's good to have some conversation for a change. If anything repetition and boredom is more of a problem.
My next nomination will Garbage Pail Kids the Movie. Everyone suffers.