"Getting To Know You" Song Tournament

Tools    

ROUND 3 - DAY 2:

John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - Summer Nights vs. Hyperplush - Truly Blonde (Alternate Link)

Sammy Davis, Jr. - I've Gotta Be Me vs. Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Madness - Our House vs. Imogen Heap ft. Jeff Beck - Blanket

Gary Jules - Mad World vs. The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good vs. Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode

Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
vs. Eminem - Lose Yourself

Weird Al Yankovic - The eBay Song vs. The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash

Jim Croce - One Less Set of Footsteps
vs. Sniff 'n the Tears - Driver's Seat

Ted Nugent - Fred Bear vs. The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

As as few of you guessed, Dirty White Boy was my nomination. Although I don't listen to Foreigner as much as I did in my teens, they're still a band that I love. It was the final song I decided upon for this tournament; it doesn't make me feel something like my other nominations, but I do identify with the lyrics-

Hey baby, if you're feeling down, I know what's good for you all day
Are you worried what your friends see
And will it ruin your reputation loving me?

've been in trouble since I don't know when
I'm in trouble now and I know somehow I'll find trouble again
I'm a loner but I'm never alone
Every night I get one step closer to the danger zone

Cause I'm a dirty white boy, yeah a dirty white boy, a dirty white boy

My eliminated nominations-

Bob Seger-Ramblin Gamblin Man

Foreigner-Dirty White Boy

Styx-Too Much Time on My Hands

Guns N' Roses-Ain't it Fun

Head East-Never Been Any Reason

ROUND 3 - DAY 2:

John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - Summer Nights vs. Hyperplush - Truly Blonde (Alternate Link)

Sammy Davis, Jr. - I've Gotta Be Me vs. Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Madness - Our House vs. Imogen Heap ft. Jeff Beck - Blanket

Gary Jules - Mad World vs. The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good vs. Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode

Golden Earring - Twilight Zone vs. Eminem - Lose Yourself

Weird Al Yankovic - The eBay Song vs. The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash

Jim Croce - One Less Set of Footsteps vs. Sniff 'n the Tears - Driver's Seat

Ted Nugent - Fred Bear vs. The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
These are the winners and the losers of ROUND 3 - DAY 2. If your song is in the losers list, now is the time to tell us that it's your nomination. It would also be nice if you would tell us why you chose that particular song as one of your nominations. What makes that song so special that you chose it for this tournament?

ROUND 3 - DAY 2: - WINNERS!

John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - Summer Nights
Men Without Hats - Safety Dance
Madness - Our House
The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I
Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode
Eminem - Lose Yourself
The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash
Sniff 'n the Tears - Driver's Seat
The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

ROUND 3 - DAY 2: - - LOSERS

Hyperplush - Truly Blonde (Alternate Link)
Sammy Davis, Jr. - I've Gotta Be Me
Imogen Heap ft. Jeff Beck - Blanket
Gary Jules - Mad World
Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good
Golden Earring - Twilight Zone
Weird Al Yankovic - The eBay Song
Jim Croce - One Less Set of Footsteps
Ted Nugent - Fred Bear

I've just noticed I've lost my last nomination. Again SC saw that Nobody Does It Better was mine, as did a couple of others, I think. I've had this dedicated to me on two occasions and, while it's egotistical, it also feels pretty damn good.

Of course, this is also my favourite Bond movie and Barbara Bach was, I think, my first movie crush, so this song has always meant something to me.

ROUND 4:

Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back vs. The Rolling Stones - Jumpin Jack Flash

The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I vs. The Beatles - Penny Lane (Alternate Link for U.S.)

Michael Jackson - Rock With You vs. Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
vs. Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Sniff 'n the Tears - Driver's Seat vs. The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

After the Fire - Der Kommissar vs. Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode

Bobby Bland - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City vs. Madness - Our House

Johnny Cash - San Quentin vs. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up

Eminem - Lose Yourself vs. John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John - Summer Nights

How many songs did we each get? I submitted 9 to JayDee I'm thinking one of them was cut as we only got 8?

Everyone was supposed to submit 8 songs. JayDee forwarded the right number of songs to me, so if you submitted 9 songs, then he must have cut one of them.

I think most people made their guesses in the first round. I'm more concerned that people have stopped admitting which songs are their nominations after they're out.
Easy to understand why though imo.
You can just stop right there if you're trying to blame it all on me.

Ahh, and that explains it. Yes it was my mistake of course. I was just going nuts thinking I hadn't heard my own song, then I went and counted and I had 9....told ya math wasn't my strong point

If anyone is interested my 9th song was

Get A Job-The Silhouettes

Anywhere care to guess why I choose that song?

As some of you guessed, this was my nomination. I'm generally not a fan of Weird Al Yankovic, but this song just fit me too well to pass it up. I buy and sell on eBay. I started out on eBay as a buyer over 15 years ago, and I've been selling on eBay for almost that long too. I can't look around the room without seeing stuff that I've bought on eBay. And it's all the type of collectibles that he sings about in the song.

ROUND 4

The Yardbirds - You're A Better Man Than I vs. The Beatles - Penny Lane (Alternate Link for U.S.)

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun vs. Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Sniff 'n the Tears - Driver's Seat vs. The Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want

Originally Posted by Chypmunk
Easy to understand why though imo.
You can just stop right there if you're trying to blame it all on me.
I don't blame you for all of it SC. Others have done 'mischief' in this thread too. I do think that's why Derek said this:

I think I'm ready for a break too MoFo's... Take care guys
And he hasn't posted since, my guess is somebody said something to him he didn't like and he left the site. I think those who live in glass houses shouldn't be hurling accusations of wrong doing at others.

Somebody said something to Derek? Well, I don't know what happened, but I am surprised - no - SHOCKED - that Derek actually stuck to his word and hasn't continued to participate here. He's always been an important part of these tournaments and it's not the same without him. I hope he's just taking a short break and will be back.

Well two more of my songs got eliminated. Then again I am shocked as hell Lone Justice made it past the first round so I am happy there.

The other one was Aerosmith's The Other Side. It is my favorite Aerosmith song, and is the song that I most connect with my college years. Especially my very early college years. Like my first summer semester. Used to play it all the time. It was my first time away from home and living on my own. Kind of a big step. That is a song that I still can listen to and feel all nostalgic about.

If these are the final songs then I still have a two left. I will reveal them as they are eliminated or if one wins.

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun vs. Garth Brooks - Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)

Why do they have to be? I'm tired of everybody thinking we all need to explain our songs, we all need to open up and be SO REVEALING.
Why shouldn't they? I thought that'd kind of become the point. I'm not saying it has to be an in depth, detailed account of why, but something. If you're tired of it, don't read it. Skip to the next post.

Sometimes people are mysterious by nature. Let 'em be. Don't ask others to change just to get to know them. Let us be what we are. That's knowing somebody.
Wait? You're including yourself as mysterious?

No one's asking anyone to change who they are. Jesus, man. Get hold of yourself.

ROUND 4: