"Getting To Know You" Song Tournament

Tools    

Now, see, why did you nominate that?! Sane. That is far worse and far more pathetic than Gatsby's lonely high school days song. You hear "Word Up" playing as you get your first kiss from some floozy in a nightclub (and my God, are you still a virgin? Who gets their first kiss in a nightclub?! You must have been 25 years old.) -- Anyway, you got your first kiss from some floozy in a nightclub and "Word Up" is playing AND THAT DEFINES WHO YOU ARE?

Oh, I see you have a wife. How did you manage that?! And yeah, what are you doing Facebook stalking this "Word Up" floozy that defines your life? This is sad. You people seriously needed to give much more thought to your nominations for this tournament.
At least I've kissed a girl ...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Don't tell me I made mistakes with my nominations. You have been very sassy with me this whole tournament, ya know. I didn't pick songs I heard down at the gay bars (though you probably can hear most of them there). You gotta agree it's ridiculous to define your life based on a song you heard while smooching some tramp in a seedy nightclub who dumped you via her sister on the phone a few weeks later, who you are still Facebook stalking years and years (or is it only a couple of months?) later. What if this was Hubby? You'd be horrified.

I didn't say that you made mistakes with your nominations, but I'm getting tired of hearing you complain about other people's songs just because you don't like their stories.

This tournament isn't supposed to be songs that "define your life". It's songs that you relate to somehow. It's human nature to link specific songs to specific memories. Several people chose songs that were linked to their memories, and they had the guts to talk about them here.

We've all had relationships that didn't work out, and those are some of the most emotional times of our lives. It's very rude for you to dump all over people when their opening themselves up to tell us about their pain and hardships.

I very nearly nominated a song about a very bad breakup, but the only thing that stopped me was the thought that someone would say hurtful things and make it worse. That's exactly what you're doing, and I'm tired of watching you go out of your way to hurt people's feelings. (I thought you would have learned after last night, but I guess I was wrong.)

Are we not allowed to discuss anything?!

Discussion is allowed, and even encouraged, but what you're doing is just hurtful. Did you already forget that you made Gatsby delete his post last night? He almost dropped out of the tournament because of your comments.

SC's just mad because Sane didn't share the picture of that naked, hairy man he "accidentally" liked on Facebook.

Big deal. I would have caused one person to leave. YOU SCARED AWAY SEVERAL! Raul, Derek Vinyard, almost me until I came back.... Sci-Fi Slob. Who else is there? It seems like people are dropping out of this every day.

I didn't scare anyone away. Anyone who left the tournament did so for their own reasons. It had nothing to do with me.

You seem to be going out of your way to say hurtful things to people when they're the most vulnerable. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Who says everybody's vulnerable? Captain Spaulding, I think, doesn't feel particularly vulnerable. Right? I don't think vulnerability is a requirement for this. I certainly didn't wanna be vulnerable -- and I see nothing wrong with that. I'm not trying to win an Oscar here.

No, vulnerability wasn't a requirement, but some people chose songs that were very personal to them, and their stories made them vulnerable. Just because you chose to play it safe doesn't mean that you have the right to dump all over the people who chose to open up and tell us something personal about themselves.

There's something seriously wrong with you if you can't see that what you've been saying to people in this tournament is hurtful.

You may not be trying to win an Oscar, but if you're trying to win the Funniest MoFo Award, then maybe you should know that hurtful comments aren't funny. They're just hurtful.

There's been A TON of songs revealed and personal stories written up. Only TWO things got a reaction out of me that you're not liking. It's not like I've gone and said "hurtful" things about all of them. I am not ashamed of what I'm doing. I felt upset and sad that Gatsby deleted his post, but I'm not ashamed. And I wasn't trying to hurt Sane, either.

Frankly, GB, I think you might be taking this to an extreme. As well as anyone who agrees with her about this and my "shameful" behavior.

You're picking out the sob stories and making fun of people for being human and having emotions. That's not funny. It's hurtful.

Since you think that I'm taking this to an extreme, let's find out if I'm wrong.

If anyone thinks that I'm wrong, and his comments aren't hurtful, feel free to tell me right here on this thread, and I'll gladly apologize. But until then, it would be nice if you would tone down your comments.

Let's find out if you're wrong?

I don't care what people think -- people are just gonna kiss your a$$ because you're basically begging them here to tell you that you're not wrong. You're basically asking people, in a way, to stand up for you and say that I'm wrong.

Well, you know what, missy? I'm not wrong. I'm not wrong about how I'm feeling and what I'm doing here.

Screw this damn tournament. I've had enough of you.

So it's okay for you to say what you're thinking about other people, but if someone else says what they're thinking about you, then you just leave?

I think we pretty much accept that SC engages his gob before his brain, he's always been like that. Doesn't bother me, but then he's never been rude to me. It's not great when he's rude to people and they take it to heart. The main thing is that I don't like GBG being upset in her own song tournament, it's hard enough getting all the votes counted and compiling the thing. When someone kicks off it's like you throwing a party and someone being a pain in the arse and annoying the other guests.
This has been a lovely song tournament, I've said it a couple of times now, but it's great reading about peoples experiences in real life. Don't worry about it GBG, we're all enjoying ourselves

Master of My Domain
Asked Yoda to (hopefully) restore my post.

in the mean time I should really get to voting.

The key to MoFo City?
There's a key!?!?! And a city!?!?!?! OK. **** just got interesting. Is this on a map or is this a Eureka type thing?

So to say thanks I shall give a freebie that I nearly nominated instead of that Codo 'thing' that everyone secretly adored. Maybe it'll bring a bit of cheer back to the thread.
Chyp - thanks for that Ohrwurm! I think I spotted you in the audience too

ROUND 2 - DAY 3:

Linda Ronstadt - You're No Good vs. Leonard Cohen - Everybody Knows

Rush - Subdivisions vs. Johnny Cash - San Quentin

Billy Murray - K-K-K-Katy vs. Men Without Hats - Safety Dance

Henri Mancini - Theme from The Pink Panther vs. Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

Bobby Bland - Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City vs. Public Enemy - He Got Game This one is really tough for me.

Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John vs. Elton John - I'm Still Standing

Weird Al Yankovic - The eBay Song vs. Bessie Smith - Gimme a Pig Foot and a Bottle of Beer

Madonna - Into the Groove vs. The Rolling Stones - Paint It Black

Eminem - Lose Yourself vs. The Scaffold - Liverpool Lou

Red shirt w black stripes - the only one 'springing' correctly ..... yeah, that was lil' auld moi - very, very well spotted!!!!
is that like the German version of pogoing?

I think we pretty much accept that SC engages his gob before his brain, he's always been like that. Doesn't bother me, but then he's never been rude to me. It's not great when he's rude to people and they take it to heart. The main thing is that I don't like GBG being upset in her own song tournament, it's hard enough getting all the votes counted and compiling the thing. When someone kicks off it's like you throwing a party and someone being a pain in the arse and annoying the other guests.
This has been a lovely song tournament, I've said it a couple of times now, but it's great reading about peoples experiences in real life. Don't worry about it GBG, we're all enjoying ourselves

That's exactly how I feel. I couldn't have said it better myself. I feel partly to blame because I started this tournament, and I asked people to open up, and now they're getting picked on for opening up. It's cyber-bullying, and I'm not going to stand by and watch it happen without trying to stop it.

I'm sorry if anyone got hurt by his comments. Hopefully it won't happen again.

I'll echo Christine in saying in my opinion it's been great reading about people's experiences, people have opened up to different degrees which is only to be expected, and I've even learned bits about some people just by their actions even if they've not disclosed much by way of their nominations so I think the tournament is certainly living up to it's name.

So to say thanks I shall give a freebie that I nearly nominated instead of that Codo 'thing' that everyone secretly adored. Maybe it'll bring a bit of cheer back to the thread.

That's a nice, peppy song. I looked up the English translation for it, and the lyrics are as happy as the music.

Asked Yoda to (hopefully) restore my post.

in the mean time I should really get to voting.

Hopefully you'll find time to vote in DAY 2 soon. There are several matches that need your vote to break the ties.