A Film You Couldn't Wait To See And Was Disappointed When You Did

Tools    

Oh, belive me, I'm not looking for a "war itself" movie.

"SPR is an excellent story of the people behind the war..."
I think we saw very different films, AP. I saw a dramatised version of a wartime propaganda story with some cliched characters and, with the exception of those three scenes I mentioned (all of which are good, but don't really do anything for me) an average, unimaginative script. If it wasn't for the opening and closing shots (which make no sense as Tom seems to be remembering Ryan's memories, rather than his own) and the scene when the guy's silently knifed on the stairs, I wouldn't remember a single visual from that film.

arrgh.. the very thought of these make me scream!

1. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (slept thru most of it)
2. Paranormal Activity 2 (1 was much better)

The Beach...had already read the book and thought it could be a great movie, but somehow what was put out was kinda lame.

"Live forever or die trying"
Dead Snow, looked great and sounded cool being a Nazi Zombie movie and all, but it sucked. ALOT!!!

Yaaaaawn. Here we go.
What do you mean? The story about a mother who'd already lost all but one of her sons, who was then sent home was used as propaganda during the Second World War. SPR is a dramatisation based on that story. Unless that's not what you meant, I don't understand what you mean.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You're talking about The Fighting Sullivans, and in that one ALL the brothers were killed when their ship was sunk.

I honestly can't say that there were any disappointments that I "couldn't wait to see." There've been quite a few that I'd watched because I'd heard great things about them and then found that they just weren't for me, but I wasn't jumping up and down with anticipation over them.

Oh and I LOVE Death to Smoochy, Shutter Island, Shrek 2 and Catch Me If You Can.

p.s i love you was soo bad! i loved the book and the film was sooo rubbish

You're talking about The Fighting Sullivans, and in that one ALL the brothers were killed when their ship was sunk.
Actually I was thinking of the story that inspired that film, but yes you're right, that's the story I was thinking of and all the boys died.

Am I right in thinking that, after that incident, the US stopped all of a families serving members being on the same ship or plane?

What do you mean? The story about a mother who'd already lost all but one of her sons, who was then sent home was used as propaganda during the Second World War. SPR is a dramatisation based on that story. Unless that's not what you meant, I don't understand what you mean.

Just the whole "dramatized propaganda" thing. You're missing the whole point of the movie it's not political at all. You can read into anything and find politics. Besides, it was about a group of men risking their lives to find a mother's last surviving son so she wouldn't lose everything. That was back when men were gentlemen and respected doing the right thing above their own lives. There's no propaganda there unless you create it. Watch all the behind-the-scenes stuff and you'll find that was never intended.

The Maltese Falcon is up there for me.
Then maybe Noir as a genre isn't for you. The Maltese Falcon is about as good as it gets and is one of those iconic noir classics.

What dissapointed you?

I agree with The Maltese Falcon but I want to watch it again real soon. Some of my favorite movies were movies I couldn't stand the first time I saw them.

The fourth Indy made me very, very sad as well. Also, Blue Beard (the 2009 French film) was pretty disappointing, but I really didn't know what to expect going into the theater that time.