Avengers: Endgame does the unthinkable.

Tools    

Seeing as it's about 55 million dollars away from catching avatar is still seems moderately feasible, but not certain. We have heavy hitters coming soon which is gonna cause endgames boxoffice to drop off even harder now. The most likely shot it has at passing avatar would be re releasing it in theaters again to bump it past 2.8 billion

Seeing as it's about 55 million dollars away from catching avatar is still seems moderately feasible, but not certain. We have heavy hitters coming soon which is gonna cause endgames boxoffice to drop off even harder now. The most likely shot it has at passing avatar would be re releasing it in theaters again to bump it past 2.8 billion
Comparing to past box office performance of Infinity War it is not going to reach Avatar. Infinity War grossed only 20 million more in North America after the same number of days out last year. But over the last few days Endgame is grossing at only 2/3 of the daily rate that Infinity War was doing last year (since it was super front loaded everybody who was interested in it already saw it). So Endgame is likely to gross only about 13 million more in North America, in other regions it has already left theaters in many countries so it is not going to gross more than 70% of the remaining gross outside of North America. So, I project an additional total gross of about 40 million which means Endgame is going to finish with 2.774 billion compared to Avatar's 2.788 billion.

Yes Disney could try re-releasing it to get it over Avatar's finishing line. Thing is that Disney owns Avatar too. So Disney does not want Endgame to surpass Avatar's box office because they will be able to announce Avatar 2 as the sequel of the biggest movie ever.

I guess Avatar's box office record is going to last a bit longer. Well, I would only think that something very different would beat Avatar. Maybe, as the Chinese currency gets stronger and more and more people flock to theaters there, a Chinese fantasy movie about talking monkeys will beat it's record.

Comparing to past box office performance of Infinity War it is not going to reach Avatar. Infinity War grossed only 20 million more in North America after the same number of days out last year. But over the last few days Endgame is grossing at only 2/3 of the daily rate that Infinity War was doing last year (since it was super front loaded everybody who was interested in it already saw it). So Endgame is likely to gross only about 13 million more in North America, in other regions it has already left theaters in many countries so it is not going to gross more than 70% of the remaining gross outside of North America. So, I project an additional total gross of about 40 million which means Endgame is going to finish with 2.774 billion compared to Avatar's 2.788 billion.

Yes Disney could try re-releasing it to get it over Avatar's finishing line. Thing is that Disney owns Avatar too. So Disney does not want Endgame to surpass Avatar's box office because they will be able to announce Avatar 2 as the sequel of the biggest movie ever.

I guess Avatar's box office record is going to last a bit longer. Well, I would only think that something very different would beat Avatar. Maybe, as the Chinese currency gets stronger and more and more people flock to theaters there, a Chinese fantasy movie about talking monkeys will beat it's record.
Completely agree. I'm actually rather glad Avatar is going to keep the number 1 spot for a while longer.

A system of cells interlinked
And then this happened...

It's Only Weird If You Make It Weird
Yeah, it'll likely beat Avatar now it's being re released. Apparently the new footage is just a post credits thing which is a bit lame

But do you guys think that a couple minutes of new footage at the end of the movie is going to influence mass audience members to see it once more? Just a casual fan of the MCU so personally I can't justify committing 3 hours again for just a few minutes of footage.

It's Only Weird If You Make It Weird
True. I won't go and rewatch it in theatres, but the hardcores defintely will. I don't know if that will push it past Avatar though

You ready? You look ready.
I won’t be seeing it again, and I reject Endgame as canon. It’s actually all a dream in Tony Stark’s head. None of it actually happened.

But 7 minutes of additional footage (shown after the credits and out of context) and a Stan Lee tribute? If there was ever any doubts this should put an end to them. Greatest cash grab in cinema’s history, and they are aiming for that last Avatar record.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I'm a bit torn on this, Avatar wasn't a great movie but it was a cinematic spectacle, it was in theaters for ages, Endgame was 2 months maybe? Avatar is still the best 3D film I've seen, Endgame was a closing chapter of a long cinematic journey in which I'd only missed 1 film in the series in theaters so it was a rewarding experience.
I say let Endgame make enough to overtake it but not by enough when you adjust for inflation, then the "debate" can continue

I won’t be seeing it again, and I reject Endgame as canon. It’s actually all a dream in Tony Stark’s head. None of it actually happened.
I posted a lot about its box office but I have not actually watched it. I find following movie box office more interesting than the movies themselves.

Well, Marvel and Disney apparently do not care that much for Avatar to hold the record as they indeed are trying with tooth and nail to make Endgame force through Avatar's record: They re-released it in many markets already and it managed to push its box office to already 2.781 billion, 7 million away from Avatar's record and already about 5 to 10 million above the level it was supposed to settle given the box office trend of the weeks before the re-release.

Just a little more push (keeping re-releasing it in several countries plus keeping over 1,000 screens in North America) should do the trick and it will reach about 2.790 billion.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Personally, I enjoyed Avengers: Endgame a lot more than I enjoyed Avatar. This isn't to say I think either film is among the heavy-hitters in-terms of artistic merit. Although, I will say I think what the Marvel Cinematic Universe has accomplish thus far has been one of the most consistent commercial spectacles I've witnessed, even if the genre itself is over-encumbered. I'd love to be surprised with a new series of films to capture everyone's attention. Currently, for a lot of movie-companies, I think they're walking in circles, repeating themselves in an attempt to capture a lost glory. This isn't anything new, of course, but it really does feel like a while since a film series has been able to breakout that didn't originate from a previous decade. Warner Bros. is trying to recapture Harry Potter with the Fantastic Beasts (and is not) ... and, before that, Warner Bros. tried to recapture Lord of the Rings with The Hobbit series (and they, kind-of, did, at least from a box office standpoint). I haven't seen the film and I know the reviews are bad, but it's be fantastic if a film like Mortal Engines was able to capture the zeitgeist, so to speak and breakout.

So it finally broke Avatar's nominal box office record:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
It think this record is going to last a while now, since the biggest box office movies usually generate 1-1.5 billion. I don't think Avatar's sequels are going to be as big as Avatar was.

I would point out in terms of re-releases the number quoted for Avatar includes the taking from its own re-release the following summer that including another 20 mins of footage rather than just an east end after the credits, End Game actually surpassed its original release awhile ago.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If you don't think they are going to re-release Avatar ahead of Avatar 2...you're nuts. I think it will reclaim the throne.

Suspect's Reviews

The year is 2046. Avengers: Endgame has been re-re-re-re-released with a completely digital recreation of Stan Lee in one of the starring roles. It edges $496 moon dollars ahead of Avatar: Special Unobtanium Version. The war continues.