The Movie Forums Top 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Oh, come on! I checked it in December! If i wasn't a horrr movie then, I would have voiced my opinion back in December. Again, Duh.

I think I see the problem now. Your suggestions seem to come from the assumption that the primary issue is people not being able to vote for what they want. That is certainly one of the problems, maybe the biggest one, but it's not actually the only one.

When you allow people to vote for whatever, we have an inverse problem: people threaten to boycott the list! They simply don't participate. This, too, has come up again and again. They think it's stupid that Gremlins (or some horror-action hybrid film) is eligible so they just opt-out. There's not just pushing coming from people who want to vote for more, there's also pushing coming from people who think restricting options is the whole point of a genre list to begin with, and they don't like it sullied with some horror-comedy (or whatever). They don't just vote anyway and then debate after, as you say. That would be fine. They just don't participate at all.

True. I almost did this. But opted for the nasty equalisers.

Now if only everyone would think like me....

In December, I just checked Imdb. This all happened because I checked Imdb again yesterday. And the google screncap is from yesterday. Maybe what happened was when I checked ot, it was a horror movie but someone lodged a complaint and they took it off.

In December, I just checked Imdb. This all happened because I checked Imdb again yesterday. And the google screncap is from yesterday. Maybe what happened was when I checked ot, it was a horror movie but someone lodged a complaint and they took ot off.
I mean, I can't prove it either way. I can only point out, again, that the Internet Archive took four snapshots of that page in December, and it didn't say Horror in any of them. So if you did go to that page in December, and did see Horror, it was apparently very weird and temporary and you just happened to look at it then. I have no idea.

Also worth noting that the Google Results might have said Horror then, and the word can still appear on the page but not be with the categories...could be an honest mistake. No way to know for sure.

In December, I just checked Imdb. This all happened because I checked Imdb again yesterday. And the google screncap is from yesterday. Maybe what happened was when I checked ot, it was a horror movie but someone lodged a complaint and they took ot off.
I mean, I can't prove it either way. I can only point out, again, that the Internet Archive took four snapshots of that page in December, and it didn't say Horror in any of them. So if you did go to that page in December, and did see Horror, it was apparently very weird and temporary and you just happened to look at it then. I have no idea.

Also worth noting that the Google Results might have said Horror then, and the word can still appear on the page but not be with the categories...could be an honest mistake. No way to know for sure.
Can confirm. Checked the Aliens tag on imdb back when the countdown was announced. Aliens was not listed as horror.

So what? Because the worst possible restriction is the way we have to live by as horror fans now, one of the few movies that brought me here... I don-t get to represent that at all? And now the list is replacing our old one whoch is just fine?

People have misinterpreted my posts, called me a liar, accused me of lawlessness AND hating freedom all because I called Nostro out on a severe flaw in his rules. I am this close to boycotting this ****8ng thing hecause apparently Nostro is God and I'm not allowed to believe he made a mistake or that Aliens is horror.

Also, it's unfair to attack the organiser of all this. We all agreed to use imdb as the tag decider. You should have fought tooth and nail back then. It's now a done deal. End of story.

Can confirm. Checked the Aliens tag on imdb back when the countdown was announced. Aliens was not listed as horror.

Do you mean November?

Also, it's unfair to attack the organiser of all this. We all agreed to use imdb as the tag decider. You should have fought tooth and nail back then. It's now a done deal. End of story.

If you were still discussing it, I had some hope that you'd realize it was a bad idea. Plus, I AM GOING THROUGH A LOT OF **** AT HOME RIGHT NOW and I didn't want to bring it here. I thought I ginally got a break and now this is happening? Nostrono can't change that it was eligible at one point. If he ignores it, he's breaking rules and forgetting it could happen to ANYONE HERE with another movie.

So what? Because the worst possible restriction is the way we have to live by as horror fans now, one of the few movies that brought me here... I don-t get to represent that at all? And now the list is replacing our old one whoch is just fine?

People have misinterpreted my posts, called me a liar, accused me of lawlessness AND hating freedom all because I called Nostro out on a severe flaw in his rules. I am this close to boycotting this ****8ng thing hecause apparently Nostro is God and I'm not allowed to believe he made a mistake or that Aliens is horror.
Jesus, man. He's not god and nobody says he is. He is, however, going to be doing a **** ton of work for this and your bitching isn't doing anyone any favours.

Nobody has accused you of jack **** either. Settle down and frankly if you can't accept the exclusiion of a movie, you need to take a seat. And maybe have a cup if tea. It's not that chronic. There is a PLETHORA of options that are equally deserving of your vote.

You can always state in a post that Aliens WOULD have received your top vote but alas.

The old list has tons of flaws. I'm not sure if you're familiar with them or not but it's definitely not fine.

People have misinterpreted my posts, called me a liar, accused me of lawlessness AND hating freedom all because I called Nostro out on a severe flaw in his rules.
Is this serious? I'll take these accusations in order, because they're not correct at all:

1) "Called me a liar." I mean, you EXCHANGED accusations with someone about being wrong or dishonest. You can't tell someone they're dishonest and then get mad that they basically say the same thing. And "called me a liar" is a deliberately provocative way of saying someone disputed what you said. No reason to think of it in those terms unless you specifically want to rile yourself up or are looking to get offended.

2) "Accused me of lawlessness." Nope, didn't happen. He said not having rules would be lawlessness, and he said it as a counterpoint to your general invocation of "freedom." This is, again, taking a general (valid) argument about limiting principles and bending over backwards to make it seem like a personal attack.

3) "AND hating freedom." Really? I even launched into that whole thing about the smilie face. It was blatantly facetious, and I even said so explicitly just to preclude this kind of interpretation. It was demonstrating that none of us "hate freedom," including the people who favor slightly more restrictions than you do, so it's silly to frame the debate as being about "freedom."

I am this close to boycotting this ****8ng thing hecause apparently Nostro is God
This is a silly framing. He's not acting like "God" for just choosing IMDB. In fact, IIRC that wasn't his first instinct, but several people argued for it and he went with it.

and I'm not allowed to believe he made a mistake
Literally nobody said this. I went out of my way SEVERAL times to say it was fine to disagree with it. You just seem to be screening this stuff out in order to take more offense.

or that Aliens is horror.
See above. Totally reasonable position. Nobody said you couldn't think this or argue for it.

If you were still discussing it, I had some hope that you'd realize it was a bad idea. Plus, I AM GOING THROUGH A LOT OF **** AT HOME RIGHT NOW and I didn't want to bring it here. I thought I ginally got a break and now this is happening? Nostrono can't change that it was eligible at one point. If he ignores it, he's breaking rules and forgetting it could happen to ANYONE HERE with another movie.
You're not the only one going through major ****. Stop using that as an excuse to be an *******.

If you were still discussing it, I had some hope that you'd realize it was a bad idea. Plus, I AM GOING THROUGH A LOT OF **** AT HOME RIGHT NOW and I didn't want to bring it here.
Sorry to hear that. Maybe take a break from this thread for a day or two and we can continue later, then?

Nostrono can't change that it was eligible at one point. If he ignores it, he's breaking rules and forgetting it could happen to ANYONE HERE with another movie.
You haven't at all established that it was ever eligible. You say you remember checking in December...and that's it. That's all we have. The evidence against is that it's not eligible now, other people remember differently, and four screenshots from the same time period say otherwise.

I'm not sure why you feel this has been proven.

Jesus, man. He's not god and nobody says he is. He is, however, going to be doing a **** ton of work for this and your bitching isn't doing anyone any favours.

Nobody has accused you of jack **** either. Settle down and frankly if you can't accept the exclusiion of a movie, you need to take a seat. And maybe have a cup if tea. It's not that chronic. There is a PLETHORA of options that are equally deserving of your vote.

You can always state in a post that Aliens WOULD have received your top vote but alas.

Did you read the thread? Toda asked me why I "hate freedom" right after defending it, and Nostro said I was being "dishonest."

What I can't accept is everyone thinking we're improving on our old list by having opinions ruled by a website with a completely underdeveloped genre system because they only slap them on to say they have them.

By the way, I'm going to have to intervene formally if the next responses aren't a good deal more centered and civil.

I've been going out of my way to make substantive arguments and keep things productive. If you can reply to those with similar levels of substance and seriousness, cool. If you're going to pretend people have personally attacked you and yell about problems at home (which, again, I'm sorry to hear of), then please don't reply at all for the time being.