The Movie Forums Top 100 Horror Movies

→ in
Tools    

Portraits of Horror

True Horror film fans connect with some Horror icons. Which ones are yours? Lon Chaney- stage, film actor, make-up artist, director and screenwriter known as The Man of 1,000 Faces, who often worked with former carnival barker Tod Browning, has become one of my favorites. Horror FX artist Tom Savini (Dawn of the Dead, Friday the 13th, The Burning, The Prowler, Creepshow, etc) values the work of the elder Chaney, and considers everyday to be Halloween. Savini has a 16-month educational program for skills such as application, mold-making, casting, animatronics, animation, sculpting, life casting, appliance prosthetics, exhibit, and design. Truthfully, my interests are varied, yet Tom Savini is an example of a guy who has really committed to everything HORROR. Through the Horror magazine Fangoria, he became a superstar to moviefans in the late 1970s and 1980s, as he builds on the legacy of Lon Chaney. Gene Simmons from the band Kiss also made a song in tribute to the horror icon, linked below. I'd love to extend and elaborate on these topics, yet only if there's interest and if others have horror icons they enjoy as well. We grow near two weeks remaining for The Top 100 Horror Movie submissions.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chaney1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	52026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Man.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	52027   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_mhtsdrMmCg1qf9djko1_640.png
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	52028  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I need to watch this again for the countdown.

It'll either be my #1 or not place at all.

Suspect's Reviews

Anyone have some extra Vincent Price films to recommend?

I've seen

Theater of Blood (1973)
Witchfinder General (1968)
The Masque of Red Death (1964)
The Haunted Palace (1963)
Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
House of Usher (1960)
House on Haunted Hill (1959)
The Fly (1958)
The Mad Magician (1954)
House Of Wax (1953)

Will be tough choosing which ones to feature on my vote...

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	VincentPrice.jpg
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	52100  

Dude, watch Abominable Dr Phibes. It's my fave Price film.
Ooooh yes. I have that one too.

Just a week and a half left, everyone! Make sure to wrap-up your must sees and get those lists in. I know we all love to wait until the end for every list (myself included), but don't forget.

Over here (and I think in much of the world) they were released as two separate films. So I'd say vote either Death Proof or Planet Terror unless you actually want to vote for Grindhouse.

We've got TEN votes thus far

Citizen Rules
The Rodent
ahwell
Jase
John-Connor
ScarletLion
Hey Fredrick
Steve Freeling
TokeZa
Sunomis

Awaiting a response from @Holden Pike in PM's as well.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I've got a couple of classics I want to watch before sending my list, but I'll send one. It will be mostly zombies though.

How the hell are Aliens and Nightmare Before Christmas not counted as horror movies on Imdb? Honestly that rule should be reevaluated because that's bull****.

Can I ask the OP something? Did you not consider that we could use Rotten Tomatoes or other websites as well? Because imdb is terrible with genre tagging.

Or what about ourold list? Aliens is on that. I had to watch 100 horror movies for this and even ones that I hated and my number 1's not allowed bevause of imdb's crap? That movie scares people like hell all the time and it's somehow not a horror movie?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
How the hell are Aliens and Nightmare Before Christmas not counted as horror movies on Imdb? Honestly that rule should be reevaluated because that's bull****.

Can I ask the OP something? Did you not consider that we could use Rotten Tomatoes or other websites as well? Because imdb is terrible with genre tagging.

Or what about ourold list? Aliens is on that. I had to watch 100 horror movies for this and even ones that I hated and my number 1's not allowed bevause of imdb's crap? That movie scares people like hell all the time and it's somehow not a horror movie?
There was huge debate over this. Lots of films that can't be counted that I would consider part of the Horror genre such as The 6th Sense, Silence of the Lambs, Jaws, American Psycho to name a few.

But hey....Take Shelter is listed as horror.