The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
all hail hideko takamine
Love her to death.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Raiders on the Lost Ark is a wonderfully entertaining action movie, it was #16 on my list, it's worthy of such a high placement, it's bound to be just as fun twenty years in the future as it was in 1981, etc., but there is one question that needs to be asked - this may not be the best place to do it - but I will anyway:

WARNING: spoilers below
How did Indy travel on the Nazi submarine all the way to the secret island base where they opened the Ark without drowning?

Welcome to the human race...
WARNING: "Raiders" spoilers below
He wraps the whip around the U-boat's telescope and hangs on until they reach the island.

He wraps the whip around the U-boat's telescope and hangs on until they reach the island.

How bad ass is that!

*swoon*

WARNING: spoilers below
Except it's not his "whip," if you catch my drift.
I can actually buy that. Nicely done.

I love Raiders of the Lost Ark. It is definitely one of my favorite movies. Does it have anything profound to say about humanity? Probably not, but it is still one of the greatest movies of all time. I certainly could have put it on my list, but decided against it, as I did lean toward movies that better encapsulated my mood at the time. There's some fluff on my list, but generally I did lean toward slightly heavier films.

Anyhow, I'll give it one more try to predict the final seven:

My prediction:

1. The Godfather
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey
3. Jaws
4. Casablanca
5. Blade Runner
6. Pulp Fiction
7. Goodfellas

Not much I can say about Raiders that hasn’t already been said.

It’s the crème de la crème of adventure films. A classic for a reason. So many iconic scenes and moments. It’s pretty much the definition of the genre. And it was on my list.

I love the first and third movie of Indiana Jones. Absolutely hate the second movie, even though it stars one of my favourite actors (Amrish Puri - who incidentally was my grandfather's boss, before he became a film star).
However, I think Indiana Jones breaking into the top ten is bit too high. Just a personal opinion, I know it's a list.

Also, this wasn't in my list.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I chuckle at the people who have thought there was any discussion of what movies might make the top 9. It was solidified.

Raiders is good. Not on my list though.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Tomb Raider was way better.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I thought The Princess Bride had a good chance to make the countdown, and it's one of the movies that I'm kind of sad to see didn't make it. His Girl Friday is another great movie that I hoped to see make it, but I'm not surprised that it didn't. Both movies were strongly considered for my list, but I just couldn't find room for them.

I've read some great reviews of Amélie, so I bought the DVD, but I haven't found time to watch it yet. It's one of the few foreign movies that I have on my watchlist.
Princess Bride was a late time cut. Honestly thought it would have made it.

And I'd LOVE to hear what you thought of Amélie. It made the top third of my list.

Disney's greatest traditional animated film is still just about the most surreal movie ever made (take that, Buñuel ). It's also Disney's funniest, even though the humor is incredibly dark. Alice in Wonderland (my #15) is a non-stop assault on the pomposity of logic and staid Victorian England which is also still able to include digs at many modern foibles which humans have in our current day and age, among them being rude and in far too much of a hurry to even say good day. It's also a potent political satire when we get to the Red Queen and how all things must be her and the "law's" way. But above all, it's crazy and just a lot of fun. There are so many crazy characters to choose from: the White Rabbit, the Doorknob, the Walrus, the Carpenter, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Bill (my fave, "Well, there goes Bill!"), the Mad Hatter, the March Hare, the Caterpillar, the Cheshire Cat, the Queen and King of Hearts, etc. The animators let their minds run wild and created a trip of a movie, that's for sure.

May I say, A Happy Un-Birthday to YOU!

I agree with the overall assessment shared here. Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably the best adventure film out there, and certainly one of the most iconic. It's endless fun from start to end, and there's hardly any lull in it. That said, I didn't include it in my list. I had it at #56, but I have no issues at all with it showing up in the Top 10.

Is Apocalypse Now a hot mess? Of course it is and considering the madness that it delves into, it inherently MUST be to effect us, the viewers, as deeply as it has. War in itself is a nightmare and from the tortured souls that graced me with their personal knowledge, Vietnam had a surreal madness to that nightmare. Hence, the almost necessity of this "madness" going off the rails and taking us with it. Especially having such a memorable scene of Brando rambling from the darkness.

Good God! That never leaves you!

Coming in at #20 only because of how I placed my final 25. Putting my all time favorite at the top and the more iconic near the bottom with the occasional exceptions like Butch & Sundance.
Like everyone else this IS a paradise of popcorn-munching euphoria. Inspired by the Saturday Matinee Adventure Serials it continually tips its hat and honors them by adding a little more to the mix.
Even at its more relaxed moments it still keeps you enthralled and I often hear the phantom cheering of packed movie theaters when I first discovered this Summer Blockbuster and the multiple times I went back to cheer along, whenever I revisit it. That is its "movie magic" and my stamp of approval seeing it make the Top Ten.

Movies Watched 76 out of 93 (81.72%)
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (1969) #81
7. Amadeus (1984) #50
8. Lafabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulan aka Amélie (2001) #???

One of the very few on my list that I have not seen countless times. In fact, I have only seen this three times - so far. But I already knew from the very first time, being one of those Movie Posters that spoke to me, telling me this will be a new favorite, watch me.
And it is.
It is very much my kind of whimsical; with a delightful, and at times, an almost diabolical adeptness at trickery in our main character. Played wonderfully by Audrey Tautou, whom I loved previously in The DaVinci Code.
The first time I saw this, I got about 10 minutes in when I knew I had to stop and share this with my room mate, who, equally, loved this film.
We chuckled, giggled, smirked and made all kinds of "awww!" noises by the very end of this. Enjoying this pixie of a girl with all the mischief and joy for life and love, while being too drenched in shyness to venture forth to experience it herself; Amélie decides to dedicate her energies and elaborate plans to aiding, and occasionally, avenging others. The neighbor in her youth and the grocery owner were the source of many of the chuckles and giggles.
Couple these with the beautiful and delightfully eccentric moments of discovering the secret behind the torn up photos from the photo machine and the sprinkling of "bread crumbs" for the man she has a crush on, to getting her dad to go on a journey by stealing his gnome and sending photos of him in different cities was adorable as all get out.
And I truly loved the romantic, happy ending. Their first kiss and the bike ride. Cue "awww!" noises.
10. The Big Lebowski (1998) #18
13. The Wizard of Oz (1939) #36
16. The Third Man (1949) #48
20. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) #8
23. Metropolis (1927) #73
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

Yes.

By the IMDb ratings Shawshank Redemption is the greatest film ever made. I think that can end that line of argument.

Jaws finished behind only The Godfather on our 1970s list.

No not really since Shawshank got up very high on our list, and Jaws has a lower Imdb rating than Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Raiders and even Jurassic Park, and unlike those four Jaws doesn't appear on the Imdb top 250. Not to mention, those four movies have higher ratings on Letterboxd.Now I'm not saying it's impossible, but don't confuse what I'm saying with "our chart would reasonably match the imdb one movie for movie."

It's another online list, so there are bound to be major similarities to other online lists. Having said that, there are common consensi that you'll find around the internet regarding a filmmaker's best film or films and the consensi can be pretty common. These consensi are typically calculated from the collaborative ratings of a whole community, such as Imdb, RYM, Letterboxd and even MoFo. For example, the top film in the anime / animated consensus is usually Spirited Away. This isn't a rule, but it happens very often. For sci-fi movies it's usually The Empire Strikes back, for superhero films it's usually The Dark Knight (and for Nolan films either that or Memento). And as for the highest rated Stephen King film, Shawshank was a full-on obvious one with the second currently going to the next obvious film, The Shining.

Basically, all I'm saying is that you can use common consensi to make educated guesses. For example, everyone knew that The Godfather would be the highest-rated Coppola film on our list, and that 2001 would be the highest-rated Kubrick. Even RYM says that Schindler's List and Raiders are the two best Spielberg films, and Jaws barely scrapes the top 1000 there.

Now it's possible for Jaws to make it, but all I'm saying is that the guesses are based off of results from common factors in community ratings.

Edit: Let me ask, how many super-hits did Spielberg make in the 70's? You are aware Jaws didn't have to stand up to bigger hits since the list was exclusive to a single decade, so "it made number 2 on our 70's list" isn't a very convincing argument. How similar were the 70's top 100 and the all-decadesv2010 top 100?

You may hypothesize all you like and give seven different external sources for your common consensi. I know MoFo. Jaws is finishing above Raiders and Schindler and Jurassic and every other Spielberg. Here. On this list. For this vote.

It will be revealed for sure, one way or the other, in the next few days so there's no point arguing about it.