The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

This would've worked slightly better if you were @TheUsualSuspect but given that the character in question is in fact a thief, it works pretty darn well.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
One Pointer Watched List 16 out of 37 (43.24%)
The House on Haunted Hill (1959) A great lil Vincent Price film.
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) Downey and Kilmer are GREAT in this - a fun film I rewatch quite often
Dead Poets Society (1989) HUGE fan of this and have revisited it so very many times in my life. Was very inspired; touching me deep within when it came out. Review from 13th General Hall of Fame
Clay Pigeons (1998) Saw this when it first came out at the theater. Can't remember too much from it though
Donnie Brasco (1997) great little gangster flick with Pacino and Depp in the leading roles.
Poison for the Fairies (1984) I KNOW who this one belongs to!! I enjoyed this one when I saw it in the 16th Hall of Fame
**The Impostors (1998) This sounds OH SO familiar and after reading Yoda's review, I may have to search it out.
A Man For All Seasons (1966) Have not seen this since my late teens, early twenties and really need to rewatch it. I do know I thoroughly enjoyed it when I did WAAAAAAAY back then
Coraline (2009) Actually own this one. Very good film
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) Quirky film in a VERY good way
The Florida Project (2017) This was in the 18th Hall of Fame and I was on the fence about this one.
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) Did a rewatch of this during the VHS Comedy Era Hall of Fame. When I first saw this back in the late 80s I was so-so with it. The recent watch? Quite enjoyed it.
Army of Darkness (1992)
F@CKIN COOL FLICK!
Dangerous Liaisons (1988) Been a decade since I saw this but I used to watch this one over and over again. Close and Malkovich were excellent as Seducers and Pfeiffer. . . oh sweet lord! PPEIFFER!
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991) didn't care too much for it
My Favorite Year (1982) Peter O'Toole is hilarious as an old screen movie idol via Errol Flynn and John Barrymore, being babysit by a comedian writer for a Comedy/Variety TV Show he's appearing on in the 50s.

And my One Pointer: Cyrano de Bergerac (1953)

With the most sublime mixture of Romance and Adventure this specific rendition of Cyrano is done brilliantly with Jose Ferrer. None shine a candle to it. It resides in my Top Ten and like Yoda's The Imposters, I never hear anyone speak of it. For shame.
But, for any who may be curious, there is one of very many favorite scenes (the insult/sword fight) here:

And, so, as I end my refrain (trolling). . . Thrust home!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
My 25 ranked film makes the list.

And to the person who put Lolita Torture Vibrator as theirs.
It's not one of the 800+ other films? TTP (to the person) will almost always be Minio, as in this case.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Day of the Jackal was mine, a film I've watched about as many times as any other film over the past 20 years.

It's just about perfection, brilliant mix of detective/assassin film.

My favourite parts are the crisis meetings with the heads of all the departments and the growing confidence of the investigator.

The only movie I have seen on the one pointer list is Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Dead Poets Society and Step Brothers. I liked Step Brothers more, thought the other movies were decent.

One of my favorite scenes from the step brothers movie lol

And my One Pointer: Cyrano de Bergerac (1953)

With the most sublime mixture of Romance and Adventure this specific rendition of Cyrano is done brilliantly with Jose Ferrer. None shine a candle to it. It resides in my Top Ten and like Yoda's The Imposters, I never hear anyone speak of it. For shame.
But, for any who may be curious, there is one of very many favorite scenes (the insult/sword fight) here:

And, so, as I end my refrain (trolling). . . Thrust home!
José Ferrer is indeed magnificent in this. Maybe I'm biased because I'm Puerto Rican, but I think he was excellent. For me, the film loses a bit of steam in its last act, but I still enjoyed it a lot.

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
The One-Pointers I've put my eyeballs on:

Irreversible, In this Corner of the World, A Ghost Story, Coraline & Army of Darkness are all mid to alright. House on Haunted Hill rules, Three Billboards is just dreadful and my pick Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets is obviously an all-timer.

Day of the Jackal was mine, a film I've watched about as many times as any other film over the past 20 years.

It's just about perfection, brilliant mix of detective/assassin film.

My favourite parts are the crisis meetings with the heads of all the departments and the growing confidence of the investigator.
I am DYING to finally see this and just never seem to

We Are Marshall (2006)

was my #25. One of my favorite sports/football movie of all-time, Bring me a tears of sadness and happinest each time I watch it. I just love it.

Oooo my one pointer didn’t make the list. Someone else had Cabin in the Woods. A kindred spirit.

Irreversible (2002)
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
Dead Poets Society (1989)
Clay Pigeons (1998)
Donnie Brasco (1997)
Poison for the Fairies (1984)
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
Coraline (2009)
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017)
The Florida Project (2017)
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Dangerous Liaisons (1988)
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)
Dallas Buyers Club (2013)

I've seen all of these. I don't like Dead Poets Society, Donnie Brasco, Poison for the Fairies, Lupin, or Coraline. I don't remember Plains, trains, Dangerous Liaisons, or Bogus Journey well enough to still have an opinion. The rest are good.
Looks like I missed In This Corner of the World. I was fairly indifferent to it, but probably should give it another try sometime.

I am DYING to finally see this and just never seem to
Its a bit like what would happen if Jason Bourne decided to take on the entire security apparatus of a first world country in order to assassinate their leader.

The sheer genius of both the assassin and the countries best detective sent to catch him is a joy to behold.

The Bruce Willis/Richard Gere one from the 90s is a stain upon the Earth.

There's a lot of posts to go through
Who had Coraline?
Surprised to see it on the 1 pointers.
Yea I just had that joy at work sifting through about 8 pages to find them.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Three Billboards is just dreadful and my pick Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets is obviously an all-timer.

It was dreadful. After 20 or 30 minutes, I couldn't take it any more. I gave it one last chance by fast-forwarding it a bit, and I just got rid of it.

"Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets" was unique. I gave it a 6/10.

Pretty sure my 25th will make the list, so no one-pointer for me.
From the one-pointers I like/love the following imo very ballot worthy movies:
Donnie Brasco
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Elite Squad: The Enemy Within
The Florida Project
Dead Poets Society
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Day of the Jackal
Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
Dallas Buyers Club

Still need to see:
The Castle of Cagliostro, A Man For All Seasons, Irreversible, Army of Darkness, The 10th Victim, Malena

Its a bit like what would happen if Jason Bourne decided to take on the entire security apparatus of a first world country in order to assassinate their leader.

The sheer genius of both the assassin and the countries best detective sent to catch him is a joy to behold.

The Bruce Willis/Richard Gere one from the 90s is a stain upon the Earth.
I saw the Willis/Gere remake and kept thinking to myself: what the hell am I watching this for when I SHOULD see the original.