Dream Superhero Movies. Cast and Director

Tools    

Please hold your applause till after the me.
There's no question that comic book films are huge part in pop culture, this thread is for you to take any Superhero, DC, Marvel, or independent, it doesn't matter, pick a superhero and choose an actor or actress to portray them and who you think would be best to direct the film.

Okay, envision this.

The Punisher, starring Tom Hardy, directed by Doug Liman.
A Tom Hardy Punisher?! That would be baaaaaaad ass!

My fantasy Justice Society of America movie: release date 1944
Directed by Frank Capra

Superman (Clark Kent): Cary Grant

Batman (Bruce Wayne): Gregory Peck

Wonder Woman (Dianna Prince): Gene Tierney

The Flash (Jay Garrick): James Stewart

The Atom (Al Pratt): James Cagney

Hawkman (Carter Hall): Victor Mature

Hawkgirl (Shiera Hall): Maureen O'Hara

Dr. Fate (Kent Nelson): Vincent Price

The Spetre (Jim Corrigan): Basil Rathbone

Green Lantern (Alan Scott): Alan Ladd

Wildcat (Ted Grant): Robert Mitchum

Mr. Terrific (Terry Sloane): Henry Fonda

Mr. America (Tex Thompson): Clark Gable

(And direct from More Fun Comics #73!)

Special appearance by Golden Age Aquaman (Arthur Curry): Buster Crabbe

And...
Golden Age Green Arrow (Oliver Queen): Burt Lancaster

Unfilled spots
:
Sandman (Wesley Dodds)
Hourman (Rex Tyler)
Dr. Mid-Nite (Charles McNider)
Johnny Thunder (John L. Thunder)

Always thought Cary Grant would have made a terrific Superman...I'm also having a little trouble with Emma Thompson as Sue Richards...can't see that at all.

Special appearance by Golden Age Aquaman (Arthur Curry): Buster Crabbe
Don't know much about Aquaman, but this seems to work perfectly.

Don't know much about Aquaman, but this seems to work perfectly.
Larry "Buster" Crabbe won an Olympic Gold Medal for SWIMMING!
He had blond hair and a terrific build. (Oh, he could also send those fish-telepathy circles out from his head that went "Nnnggg-nnnggg-nnngggg!")

He may have played Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and Tarzan, but he was born to be Aquaman!

I have one for the villains, Gian Maria Volonte as The Joker. Volonte gave excellent performances as Ramon Rojo and El Indio in Sergio Leone's Dollars Trilogy, particularly El Indio.

The Justice League of America
Release date: 1966
Directed by John Sturges

Superman (Clark Kent): Rock Hudson (Hudson was the person that artist Curt Swan based his Superman drawings on.)

Batman (Bruce Wayne): Guy Williams (he played Zorro, which was one of the influences for Batman.)

Wonder Woman (Dianna Prince): Linda Harrison (she appeared briefly as Wonder Woman in an unrealized TV pilot.)

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan): Paul Newman (he was the model on which Silver Age Green Lantern's look was based.)

Flash (Barry Allen): Steve McQueen

Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz): Yul Brynner (exotic looking with bald head)

Aquaman (Arthur Curry): Robert Redford

Snapper Carr (Lucas Carr): Bobby Rydell

Green Arrow (Oliver Queen): Kirk Douglas

The Atom (Ray Palmer): David Hedison

Hawkman (Katar Hol): Charleton Heston

Hawkwoman (Shayera Hol): Raquel Welch

Black Canary (Dinah Lance): Stella Stevens

Elongated Man (Ralph Dibny): Dick Van Dyke (Painter Alex Ross obviously used Van Dyke as the model for his rendition of Elongated Man.)

Red Tornado (John Smith): Michael Rennie

Zatanna (Zatanna Zatara): Dalia Lavi

Always thought Cary Grant would have made a terrific Superman...I'm also having a little trouble with Emma Thompson as Sue Richards...can't see that at all.
Christopher Reeve based his Clark Kent on Cary Grant's portrayal of Tom Mankiewicz in Bringing Up Baby.

Larry "Buster" Crabbe won an Olympic Gold Medal for SWIMMING!

He had blond hair and a terrific build. (Oh, he could also send those fish-telepathy circles out from his head that went "Nnnggg-nnnggg-nnngggg!")

He may have played Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon and Tarzan, but he was born to be Aquaman!
Actually, on the same subject, I saw Jason Momoa the other day in a film with Virginia Madsen called Tempted. There's a bit where he's asking her to swim out to an area under a large rock and she mentions him doing his "Captain Nemo" thing. So close!

I've never even heard of half of these characters...I guess I need to read more comic books, my history with comic books is limited to Richie Rich and Archie Andrews.

I've never even heard of half of these characters...I guess I need to read more comic books, my history with comic books is limited to Richie Rich and Archie Andrews.
Just a different genre within comics.
There were (and are) many genres. What I call "kiddie comics" - things like Richie Rich, Casper, etc. There's funny animal comics - about a million of them (think Mickey Mouse). There's comedy, western, romance, teen-romance, horror, sci-fi, satire, crime, history, classic literature, war, and of course probably one of the largest & most successful genres... superhero!

Bumping this thread because I had to update some of the lapsed images for my era-specific Justice Society and Justice League of America fantasy casting calls (see above)!

The Fantastic Four

Directed by Gary Ross
Why? Because Gary Ross directed Seabiscuit. An emotional story on an epic scale with a handful of characters. Plainly put, he can sell it. He can sell the Fantastic Four was a family, and thats what seperated them from the rest. Plus Reed Richards is a workaholic explorer. At their best when it was Stan Lee/Jack Kirby, John Byrne, or Jonathan Hickman, they were a family of explorers. The Fantastic Four movie has to have a different rhthym than the rest of the Avengers, and X- related fare.

Reed Richards played by Ben Stiller

If youve seen Permanent Midnight, then you already know Ben Stiller can act, and with the heaviest material, Reed Richards wouldnt be too much of a stretch, BaDumCh! . With the salt and pepper hair he actually does look like Richards, and could breath some life into Reed like RDJ did Iron Man. Stillers dry humor would be perfec for Richards hypergenius perception.

The Invisible Woman played by Charlize Theron

Why not? Shes delivered in every capacity in the business, paid her dues, and deserves that superhero paycheck which gives dividends for a lifetime.

Johnny Storm aka The Human Torch played by Bradley Cooper

Johnny has to be Sues younger brother, (Theron & Cooper are the same age, thatll work), but most importantly Johnny Storm was a brash, good looking, smartass. His dynamic with Ben Grimm and their ball breaking, fights, and pranks were everything. Bradley Cooper would nail Johnny Storm to-a-T.

Ben Grimm aka The Thing played by Gerard Butler

The hardest one to cast is Ben Grimm. He has to be lovable, and hilarious when getting his balls broke. He is the lug everyone loves, and that takes something thats not taught in acting schools. Damn, James Gandolfini would have been a perfect Ben Grimm. Gerard Butler is the right age and personality to do the voice work for the ever lovin blue eyed Thing. He would have to try and sound a little Jersey though, shouldnt be too difficult.

Doctor Doom played by Mads Mikkelsen

Not only does he sound like someone from a place called Latveria, but Mikkelsens dramatic acting shown on Hannibal completely sold me he could pull of Victor Von Doom. I could see him and Stiller having great dialogue interaction, and his snobbery towards Grimm and the rest...of humanity I guess! Dooms a incredibly resourceful megalomaniac and I think Mikkelsen would feel unleashed playing someone so forceful after having played Hannibal so subtle & sinister.