10 Favorite Horror Films from Gatsby the Non-Horror Fan

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Maybe. I think the difference is thrillers may scare you, but that is not their purpose. Their purpose is to tell a story and maybe there are elements that scare you. Like MG was talking about, because they scare the character. When I watch a horror movie, and this is the reason I don't like them, I feel like there purpose is to only scare. They have no interest in actual storytelling, any of that is just a device to get to the next jump scare and kill. Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th, Scream, most Saw movies, Texas Chainsaw. There is no character development, it is just about the scares. Its fine if that's your thing, I think the same can be said of comedies, just replace scares with laughs. To me that's the difference.

Like I said before, my definitions are not the actual definitions of horror and thriller, but for me it has to do with how much is actually shown on screen vs. how much is left for your imagination to scare you. I don't need to see all the blood and gore. That's not scary. It's just disgusting.

This is probably the key. To not nail a movie down to one specific genre, maybe that is where we get in trouble.
Yeah, you really cant do that.. because then we wouldnt have "romantic comedies", can we?

lol Sauna is both historical and horror. .Historical in the sense that it takes place after the Russo-Swedish War when they were mapping out what we now know as Finland. Horror as in inhuman behavior and perhaps supernatural aspects of the film.

Blood and gore does not make a horror movie a horror movie. There are plenty of horror movies without blood and gore.

Blood and gore does not make a horror movie a horror movie. There are plenty of horror movies without blood and gore.

I'm sure you know that I'm not an expert in horror movies. I'm just saying that's the difference for me. I consider the old horror movies without blood and gore to be more thrillers than horror, but the newer horror movies seem to be mostly slasher movies.

I'm sure you know that I'm not an expert in horror movies. I'm just saying that's the difference for me. I consider the old horror movies without blood and gore to be more thrillers than horror, but the newer horror movies seem to be mostly slasher movies.
There are some that arent slashers but more jump scares.. which I enjoy more...

I don't mind movies with jump scares. In fact, I love good suspense thrillers. I just hate blood and gore movies.
Blood and gore does not phase me.. however I dont like low budget crap.. with poor video or sound... bad acting, bad script... etc...

I love The Birds, great film. I suspect people have become jaded over the years by ever increasing doses of intensity in thriller/horrors.

Perhaps you need to place yourself in Tippi Hendren's place..
That's a very intelligent statement and true for most movies. There's usually a character that we empathize with. I suspect some times people can't make a connection with the the character on the screen. Tippi's character was a perfect vehicle for us to see the world through her eyes.

Have you seen the movie Wait Until Dark? Alan Arkin is terrific when he terrorizes Audrey Hepburn. I can feel Audrey Hepburn's terror when I watch that movie.
Exactly!

I am beginning to realize that when I say I don't like horror films, what I really mean is I don't like slasher flicks.
I like that realization. I too don't like slasher flicks but horror is OK.

I like that realization. I too don't like slasher flicks but horror is OK.

I kind of agree with this. I hate slasher movies because I hate gory movies, but I don't mind the old classic horror movies that weren't gory.

The Birds is one of my least favorite Hitchcock movies, but it's still a great movie. And I like some of the old Vincent Price movies, so maybe there's a fine line between thrillers and non-gory horror movies.

Master of My Domain
I'm okay with gory horror films. The problem is, the violence isn't a tool used to advance the story and build characters, it's basically the entire movie. What's the difference between a slasher and a video of someone killing bunch of people. Sure, there are slashers that have a great plot which I like (some will pop up on this list) but the majority is the same, the only thing changing is the setting, actors and the villain. And most of them are parodies of each other anyway. Main reason why horror isn't my cup of tea.

Then there are the horrors with an 'older' style or actually really old, the ones I'm a fan of. But unfortunately even those are void of necessary elements to create a picture that can give you an amazing experience, make it linger on your head, and eventually become a favorite. Even worse, these type of horror films are decreasing in number year by year. It's extremely depressing when nowadays all that's around you is flashy, choppy-edited, nonsensical horror films, made to match the taste of the newer generations.

I don't have much too add because y'all used 3 pages to type almost everything what I was thinking about. Just wanted to share my opinion and sort of rap up the argument, because in a few hours my number 8 will arrive.

Blood and gore does not phase me.. however I dont like low budget crap.. with poor video or sound... bad acting, bad script... etc...
And yet you chose Cannibal for the Horror HoF.

And yet you chose Cannibal for the Horror HoF.
because I asked about posting extreme horror... and Sexy said to go for it....

You should never listen to anything that Sexy says!
now that I know he drops out of everything.. yeah I wont let him help me suggest.... I would have suggested a Danish unknown horror.... I should have just posted "Opstandelsen".. if you havent seen it, check it out.

Gats, its one I think you should check out as well..

Master of My Domain
8. Dracula

Another ancient horror that I love. In my opinion this is the best Dracula film the only true Dracula film. Everything in this classic is amazing. Well for starters, Bela Lugosi still visits me once in a while in my dreams. He was born to play a Dracula, a great casting choice and performance. The sets, the way the film looks, and the cinematography are astounding to look at been today, not because it's high-quality technology, but because nothing today can revive the look of the eerie and beautiful oldness.

Master of My Domain
Not a fan of The Birds, but I really like Dracula. Stilly yet to see Caligari.
*Gasp*

I'm ashamed of you Camo.

now that I know he drops out of everything.. yeah I wont let him help me suggest.... I would have suggested a Danish unknown horror.... I should have just posted "Opstandelsen".. if you havent seen it, check it out.

Gats, its one I think you should check out as well..
Yeah I've seen Opstandelsen. A pretty fun and messy time! For a danish film, and a for a danish horror film, I respect it a lot. It's not anything extraordinary, but I did enjoy myself.