No, this Top 10 Directors List is not brilliant but...

Tools    

Four months into a top 10 list and only at number 8! Dude ...

10. Richard Linklater
9. John Cassavetes
8. Abbas Kiarostami
7. Michael Haneke
6. Mike Nichols
5. Peter Greenaway
4. Asghar Farhadi
3. Theodoros Angelopoulos
2. Yasujiro Ozu
1. Hirokazu Koreeda

See - not that hard

Haven't seen your thread before Gatsby, so sorry for being late!
I like Tim Burton, for me his best film will always be Edward Scissorhands. Love the heightened colours, the dreamlike atmosphere, the music and of course Johnny Depp, and I also love Dianne Wiest as the lovely caring Peg.
I like Sergio Leone's films too, but I love Darren Aaronofsky. I remember seeing Pi back on its release and going on about it to anyone who would listen. Then seeing Requiem for a Dream and loving its power. I can never get into The Fountain , tried a couple of times but it just doesn't grab me, however he came back with Black Swan which I thought was back into fiercely intense territory. The Wrester was good, but not amazing, and Noah was mad but enjoyable

Master of My Domain
Bump. Gatsby, you gotta finish this!
I'll try to do one tomorrow.
Four months into a top 10 list and only at number 8! Dude ...

10. Richard Linklater
9. John Cassavetes
8. Abbas Kiarostami
7. Michael Haneke
6. Mike Nichols
5. Peter Greenaway
4. Asghar Farhadi
3. Theodoros Angelopoulos
2. Yasujiro Ozu
1. Hirokazu Koreeda

See - not that hard
Ah yes but you lack all the write-ups and effort (it's all for the replies and rep).

And thanks from the kind comments Christine!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
As of this minute...

1. Frank Capra
2. Elia Kazan
3. Stanley Kubrick
4. Robert Altman
5. Akira Kurosawa
6. John Huston
7. Billy Wilder
8. John Cassavetes
9. Ingmar Bergman
10. Paul Mazursky

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Gatsby, you are not the only one who liked Noah. I LOVED Noah. One of my favorite films of last year. And Black Swan is amazing. So yea, continue your list!

My son and I share a love of Tim Burton, and I once wrote a college paper describing how brilliant Once Upon a Time in the West is.

Master of My Domain
Yeah I really have to continue, but somehow when I plan to post more I'm suddenly swallowed by other things.

Glad you liked Noah too, Tramp, welcome back to MoFo.

Gatsby been complaining about my pace for the horror list, yet he abandoned his when it had barely started - and his isn't even more than 10 entries long either. He do one little write-up, I do three for each set in my 50-long list. Seriously!?

What a wanker.

Nah seriously though, finish this b*tch Gats! We wanna see the rest!! Feed the forums! Aaaaargh!

Master of My Domain
7. Wong Kar-Wai

(Btw, he looks really cool)

How I got to watch his work:

Strangely, Taxi Driver was the main reason. I fell in love with the film on the first viewing, of course, but what stuck with me most was the blurry and dreamy images of the streets of New York during night. I tried to find other films that have similar atmosphere. Luckily, soon I discovered who would later develop into my favorite Chinese filmmaker.

Opinions on his filmography:

The first film I encountered is his best and a huge favorite of mine, Chungking Express. It delivered exactly what I yearned for for so long. I always think of it when I'm walking on the way home alone, waiting for a suspicious blonde woman with sunglasses pass by me any moment. I then saw In the Mood for Love, which focuses more on the relationship aspect, but still poetic and elegant, and most of all the ending is one of my favorite scenes. Ashes of Time is underrated and shows the diversity of Wong Kar-Wai and ability to input his style and ideas in a less modern setting. Happy Together is great, and Days of Being Wild was a disappointment, though I reckon it's because the film is only his second film, when put in chronological order. I still need to see As Tears Go By,2046, My Blueberry Nights and The Grandmaster,

How I rank his filmography:

Chungking Express -
+
In the Mood for Love -

Fallen Angles -

Ashes of Time -
-
Happy Together -
+
Days of Being Wild -

Burton and Aronofsky would never even come close to my top 10 (although I do like some of their films), but Leone and Wong Kar-Wai are directors that I definitely would consider! They're both brilliant at what they do.

It's also cool to mention that Wong Kar Wai used a part of the music score of Leone's Once Upon a Time in America (by the incomparable Ennio Morricone) in his latest film, The Grandmaster, which is an absolute must see in the longer 130 minutes Chinese version.

You also forgot to say that you still need to see his Fallen Angels, which you'll probably love, since you loved Chungking Express.

Master of My Domain
Burton and Aronofsky would never even come close to my top 10 (although I do like some of their films)
I actually need to remove Burton, this list is already outdated.

And I've already seen Fallen Angels, I can't believe how I left that one out. Thanks cob for reminding me.

Days of Being Wild is his weakest for me as well, but I should see that one again. I have to rewatch 2046 too, I thought it was really messy the first time I saw it. Otherwise I'm a huge fan.