Tips for Writing a Review

→ in
Tools    

Master of My Domain
This might be an act of hypocrisy because clearly I'm not the best reviewer in town and I sometimes don't fallow the advice I wrote, but I thought that just a few tips and basic advice could be forgiven lol.

These are just a few basic ones, if there is something that I missed then tell me by posting and I'll add it to the thread along with your credit. That's why I consider this a project more than a simple guide, and I hope a lot participate and get a lot of people to write their own reviews.

Current Tips:

1. Watch the film and revise your review multiple times

The former isn't something that is required to do, but if you want to write a good quality review then my suggestion is to do it. The latter however is definitely needed. Even a few words mixed up can block your point from getting through and makes your review look sloppy and careless.

2. Use pictures

A single image may be more powerful than a thousand words. It can capture what the viewer will expect when they read your review and watch the film for themselves. It can also be a break from a wall a text that reviews are, especially when they contain lots of information.

3. Have your own style

If you want your reviews to stand out and receive recognition as a reviewer its good to have a special and flamboyant style of your very own. Don't try to copy from other famous reviewers even if originality can be hard. Whether you're gonna go for humor, insightful thoughts, or having a totally different point on films they're all better than ordinary Joe.

4. Don't be afraid to express your thoughts

This is why some people can't achieve tip 3. They're afraid about what other people think and in the end just write plain and boring reviews. Why be afraid? As long as its not something like cursing and swearing at a director like Martin Scorcese its your review, and because its yours you have the right to write anything (well most of them) you want. Haters gonna hate, aligators gonna aligate, and potatoes will potate.

5. The most important thing is to get your point across

Some people try to put sophisticated college words into their reviews to sound intellectual and all that without even knowing what the hell their blabbering about. Even famous reviewers use basic words such as 'hate' and 'like'. A lot of people only see reviews to just check out whether a certain film is bad or good, simple as that. They don't give a damn about what kind of words you used. Be loud and clear.

Captain Spaulding

1. Don't focus too much on plot synopsis. Most people who are interested enough to search for a review usually know what the film is about. Also people tend to get too detailed.

Kaplan

1. Learn and use proper grammar if you want to be taken seriously.
2. Try to be informal.

Christine

1. Spell correctly.

Yoda

1. Entertain the user. They want to read about the actors and stuff but most importantly they want to here about you.

Rodent

1. Have a routine in your reviews. Decided what you will do in each paragraph so that there is consistency.

2. Avoid spoilers, thought if its extremely necessary to have one use a spoiler tag or warn the user beforehand.

MovieMeditation

1. Write in a constructively way. Make sure where a focus ends and begins.

Citizen Rules

1. Brevity....don't write a novella length review.
2. Leave the potty mouth at home.

Godoggo

1. Write in your own vernacular.
2. Try to be honest in when writing reviews instead if trying to impress others

Tim R-T-C

1. Respect the film, regardless of genre or budget.
2. Know a film's cinematic parentage. Before reviewing a film of a certain genre watch some films similar to the one you are reviewing so you can properly discuss it.
3. Know the historical/background/source material.
4. Know the background of the film. That way you can provide lots of information.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Cool tips, but using sophisticated words can be a good exercise for non-native speakers. It should improve their language and all...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
Cool tips, but using sophisticated words can be a good exercise for non-native speakers. It should improve their language and all...
I'm not against those words, I'm against people using them without any sense of knowing what their going with them.

All good tips, Gatsby.

If a film inspires me to write a review, I try to jot down my immediate thoughts after watching it, reminding myself of certain scenes and moments and whatnot that I can later use as a reference point to trigger my memory in case a few days pass before I get a chance to write the review. For Peeping Tom, I actually re-watched the film a couple of days later and wrote down my thoughts as it went along, which is probably why it's the best, most thorough review I've written so far.

I think some reviewers waste too much time on plot synopsis. I generally skip those portions of a review, since I usually already know what a film is about, even if I haven't seen it. Plus some reviewers make those sections too detailed, giving away too much of the plot for those who haven't watched it. I generally avoid plot summaries altogether in my reviews.

I also write all of my reviews completely naked from the waist down, but I doubt that has any bearing on the quality of the reviews.

Use proper grammar if you want to be taken seriously.

Do some research and give some background on the film, its backstory, other projects the director and actors have been involved in and how it might relate to the film you're discussing, and how the film compares to similar films in its genre.

Learn and use proper grammar.

If you're blocked, just write it as you would if you were writing the review as part of an email to your buddy overseas. Informal works, unless someone is actually paying you to write the review for a wider audience. In which case...

Just sayin'. Myself, I try to go for the informal style, because otherwise I'll spend an hour writing a two-hundred word review, and I just don't have time for that.

P.S. I know, I haven't exactly written any "reviews" on this site, but I have in the past elsewhere, and I struggle over every word, only to hate everything I've written when I reread it a week later. Therefore, I give a few thoughts and leave it at that.

Master of My Domain
All good tips, Gatsby.

If a film inspires me to write a review, I try to jot down my immediate thoughts after watching it, reminding myself of certain scenes and moments and whatnot that I can later use as a reference point to trigger my memory in case a few days pass before I get a chance to write the review. For Peeping Tom, I actually re-watched the film a couple of days later and wrote down my thoughts as it went along, which is probably why it's the best, most thorough review I've written so far.

I think some reviewers waste too much time on plot synopsis. I generally skip those portions of a review, since I usually already know what a film is about, even if I haven't seen it. Plus some reviewers make those sections too detailed, giving away too much of the plot for those who haven't watched it. I generally avoid plot summaries altogether in my reviews.

I also write all of my reviews completely naked from the waist down, but I doubt that has any bearing on the quality of the reviews.
Use proper grammar if you want to be taken seriously.

Do some research and give some background on the film, its backstory, other projects the director and actors have been involved in and how it might relate to the film you're discussing, and how the film compares to similar films in its genre.

If you're blocked, just write it as you would if you were writing the review as part of an email to your buddy overseas. Informal works, unless someone is actually paying you to write the review for a wider audience. In which case...

Just sayin'. Myself, I try to go for the informal style, because otherwise I'll spend an hour writing a two-hundred word review, and I just don't have time for that.
Added both to the main thread. Thanks for your advice.

Added both to the main thread. Thanks for your advice.
You forgot the part about no pants!

Master of My Domain
You forgot the part about no pants!
I was considering possible female reviewers...

Probably part of the proper grammar Kaplan added, but spell words properly!
A magazine was delivered to us yesterday with this as the headline - "Local Residents Take The Reigns" (as local people start to run a new community centre) . This is a local mag run by your trendy supposedly educated people. I don't want to come across as a spelling nazi but it's so easy to check spelling these days!

Write your review in a well constructed manner. Make sure you show the reader where a new focus begins and where another ends, don't be all over the place it will confuse the reader.

If you aren't good at making smooth transfers to a new focus, then just make a few more paragraphs, as long as it is clear and easy to read.

And just to agree with some of what has already been said, don't be afraid to be subjective, nobody want to read just a review, they wanna read your review. Spice it up, create your own style, don't be afraid to critize the film, as long as you back up why and do it with thought, and not just slam words out there.

One of the nice, horrifying things about running this site so long is that I can go back and see the kind of dreck I wrote when I was 16. And doing that taught me one thing that I think helped me improve immensely:

Your first job is to entertain the reader.

This sounds stupidly obvious, but a lot of reviews (my own included, initially) feel the need to cover all bases, IE: gotta say something about the writing, gotta say something about the acting, gotta say something about...and so on. But all you really "gotta say" is something interesting. The interesting or the funny or the compelling should always take precedence over the rote checklist of Things You Comment on in a Movie Review, or the checklist of Things I Thought.

Reviews that merely inform can be quite useful, but they're not enjoyable. They won't make people want to read you, specifically.

The other suggestions so far are great, and there are a half-dozen other things I want to say, too. But this is the thing I would pick if I had to pick only one thing.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm writing a book, reviewing my favorite fims, this might take a while, but I find my problem is wanting to put too much stuff in. It would be longer than a novelization. Deciding what scenes or things to leave out is too difficult for me.

Rodent Tips:

Keep to a routine.

I have a particular layout for mine, I know JayDee does as well. It stops you from rambling too much about random crap.

As an example, mine for instance is (roughly):
Paragraph 1: Synopsis (keep it short, no spoilers)
Paragraph 2: Personal Feelings (keep it short so as not to ramble)
Paragraph 3: Good Stuff about the storytelling, Exposition, Scripting, Screenplay, General Writing etc
Paragraph 4: Bad stuff about the Storytelling, Exposition, Scripting, Screenplay, General Writing etc
Paragraph 5: Actors, Acting, Casting Choices
Paragraph 6: Technical stuff like Effects (CGI Practical etc), Choreography, Photography, Camera, Lighting etc
Paragraph 7: My signature "All In All" Round-up and my rating

I almost never sway from my layout and routine.
Sure from review to review the paragraphs change size, I write more about The Bad or The Good in one review than another for example, but the paragraph routine I use stays consistent.
It means two things...
1) People know what to expect when before they come into my thread to read the new review I've written
2) It makes it easier for myself to not forget stuff I want to say

No Spoilers

Spoilers ruin things. A review is a review, and shouldn't be you posting up the full script and screenplay.
I only occasionally put spoilers about the plot or whatever, and if I do, I make sure I say so beforehand at the top of the review, or use the spoiler tags.

Trivia And Humour Goes A Long Way

Little snippets of Trivia are always interesting. JayDee does it, I do it... Trivia = Fun.
Humour is always good. Yoda pointed this out to entertain the reader. Throw in something about something bad you spotted, or if something tickled you make a little joke about it and give a or a or something... it'll enthuse your audience to watch, or avoid, the film in question.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Interesting you single out some reviewers, I'd like to see your thoughts on more people's personal reviews.

Suspect's Reviews

Interesting you single out some reviewers, I'd like to see your thoughts on more people's personal reviews.
I thought that was what he wasn't doing at first too. It's not just to get things clear.

It's their suggestions that they wrote in this thread, which has later been added to the first post. I agree it could be more precise, like "Captain Spaulding's suggestions:" or something, so more people won't get confused.

MovieMediation beat me to the post....I agree with him.

BTW great thread idea. It's interesting to read the tips for reviews. I've been doing lot of them and what I want to know is: what do others what to see in a review?