Untitled

Tools    

ya got me fez.
.....i'm quakin' with fear. i'm going to think about it.....can't be making any hasty decisions.

Kennedy - Lincoln Coincidences

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost a child while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both Presidents were shot in the head.

Lincoln's secretary was named Kennedy.
Kennedy's secretary was named Lincoln.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both Assassins' full names comprised of 3 words.

Both were succeeded by Southerners named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth, who assassinated Lincoln, was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald, who assassinated Kennedy, was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.

Both names are composed of fifteen letters.

Lincoln was shot at the theatre named 'Kennedy.'
Kennedy was shot in a car called 'Lincoln.'

Booth ran from the theatre and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theatre.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

And here's the kicker:

A week before Lincoln was shot, he was in Monroe, Maryland.
A week before Kennedy was shot, he was in Marilyn Monroe.

be afraid....be very afraid........

so what phobia's do my mofo cohorts harbor?
i'm way uptight about walking out on the lake ice (EVEN when i see lot's of people out there. )
if it is covered in snow and i can't see the ice, i'm not afraid.
go figger.

phobia's
------------------------------
pogonophobia - fear of beards
automysophobia - fear of being dirty
scopophobia - fear of being stared at
gephydrophobia - fear of crossing a bridge
cynophobia - fear of dogs
pantophobia - fear of everything
sitophobia - fear of food
clinophobia - fear of going to bed
eisoptrophobia - fear of mirrors
teratophobia - fear of monsters
nyctopobia - fear of the night
poinephobia - fear of punishment
scholionophobia - fear of school
sciophobia - fear of shadows
ceniphobia - fear of strangers
tonitrophobia - fear of thunder

I have a very powerful fear of death. My most irrational fear is probably my fear of spiders. Yes, they are all poisonous, and some are deadly, but that isn't why they scare me; they just give me the creeps for no good reason.

Fear of death? Interesting. Would you be willing to elaborate? Assuming there's anything to elaborate on, that is.

I too used to fear spiders heavily. Now, I don't so much. I don't know why. All I feel now is the overwhelming desire to kill all the ones I find. I guess it's therapeutic to do so, in a way. Creepy bastards DESERVE to die.

Originally posted by Yoda
Fear of death? Interesting. Would you be willing to elaborate? Assuming there's anything to elaborate on, that is.
Well, I think I fear death more than the average person becasue I have no spiritual beliefs. Most people seem to think that when they die they will go to a great place, which alleviates the fear quite a bit.

I suppose. Though if you believe you won't even exist anymore after death, what exactly is there to be afraid of? Seems to me a worldview that potentially contains damnation would cause as much, if not more, fear than one that contains no afterlife whatsoever. But then again, we all see things like death from different perspectives, I suppose.

Well, I don't think it is an intellectual fear. I think it is a survival instinct given to us by nature.

No. I don't think I've got it engrained in me more than you do, I think I don't believe in stories that significantly alleviate the fear.

I'm a bit confused here. You say you have a fear of death, and that you think it's worse for you than most people because you have no comforting thoughts of the afterlife to sedate that fear. I then say that it could be said, reasonably, that believing in an afterlife gives you MORE to fear, not less, about death. You tell me your fear is not an intellectual one.

Are you saying, then, that you disagree with the concept of an afterlife being just as frightening as none at all?

For the most part, yes. Most people who believe in an afterlife believe they will go to a good place, not a bad one.

Well, yes, I acknowledge that, but my disagreement doesn't stem from there. Which is more powerful? The soothing effect of thinking you're likely to go to a nice place when you die, or the horrible thought that you could, POSSIBLY, end up in the opposite? At least in a Godless world, the worst-case (and only) scenario is that you end up simply ceasing to exist.

Well of course the assertions some religions make about a bad place you goto if you aren't good or don't believe in a specific deity can increase the fear of death in many people. I said I believe I have more fear of death than the average person, not all spiritual people.

Well, the overwhelming majority of people are spiritual in some way...so I imagine it'd be tough to fear death more than the average person, yet not more than the average spiritual person. My contention, anyway, was more with this, which seems to be going in a different direction than the statement you just made:

No. I don't think I've got it engrained in me more than you do, I think I don't believe in stories that significantly alleviate the fear.
I realize I'm just a dog chasing a car that can't be caught in this case, however, so I'll bark at you no longer.

I think you should read my messages again. I never said I don't fear death more than the average spiritual person. Where did you get that?

It seemed implied through this:

I said I believe I have more fear of death than the average person, not all spiritual people.
Perhaps I've misunderstood. Would you mind re-phrasing things for me?

What is confusing about that? I have more fear of death than the average person, because the average person believes she is going to a good place when she dies. However, some people are more scared of death than I am because they fear hell, or whereever, so not ALL spiritual people fear death less than I do. What is so hard to understand about that?

I suppose the misinterpretation came from my belief (perhaps it is not yours) that a "spiritual person" is very likely to believe in a good AND bad afterlife. Virtually all of the ones I have come into contact with do. At least, in this country I'd say that's is usually the case. I cannot speak for the religious beliefs outside of the places I've been with quite so much certainty.