Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Maybe it's a matter of perception. I understood his reasoning to be a bit of both, i.e. you don't want anybody to know you're a hitman, *especially* your children.

As for the son participating later, that's precisely the reason why he's in the moral crossroad later on. He's tried so hard to protect his children from this "perdition" by keeping them at a distance, but the events "force" him to push his son towards the same thing he had been protecting him from. At this point, he has no choice, it's either let him participate and survive, or not and they'll die. But that's precisely why he's morally afflicted and why the events in the last act unfold the way they do. He's trying to drag his son away from that.
Why do you think his reasoning was a bit of both?

If there were conversations involving him explaining that was the reason he kept his criminal activities secret from his kids, it could be argued that's part of the reason, but in the end, I'm left with what the film provides to judge what his motives are and, based on what we see, it seems like his reasoning revolves around fearing the threat this knowledge could cause to his family if his boss were to find out.

As for him bringing his children along, while that does feature him indirectly involving his son in his criminal behavior, this would only add to this theme of him fearing that his kids would grow to be like him if this theme took priority in the film beforehand. I didn't get the same connection you did though for reasons stated above, so I didn't have the same reaction to these scenes you did. It wasn't until his conversation in the church basement that this theme took priority for me.

Unregistered User
I also really enjoyed it.

My one complaint (possibly down to the print I saw), was that I had a hard time seeing the shot
WARNING: spoilers below
at the end with the wife in the wheelchair
. It was kind of quick and muddy and I had two watch it twice and then finally resort to a Wiki summary to make sure I was understanding that part correctly.

Yeah Takoma, pretty dark on mine too especially that bit. Shame as it was actually a really disturbing shot so maybe held for a few more seconds, it could have been pretty powerful.

Cathy Moriarty is just so under-appreciated. Whether it's Raging Bull, Neighbors, Soapdish, or Casper, she delivers.
I also liked Christina Ricci in this.
I've always liked Moriarity. She's also great in Patti Cake$ from a few years ago.

Also, can anyone scream like Bill Pullman?

Why do you think his reasoning was a bit of both?

If there were conversations involving him explaining that was the reason he kept his criminal activities secret from his kids, it could be argued that's part of the reason, but in the end, I'm left with what the film provides to judge what his motives are and, based on what we see, it seems like his reasoning revolves around fearing the threat this knowledge could cause to his family if his boss were to find out.
I don't think it has to be spelled out. He's trying to keep his children away/apart from his job and this life, and part of that is keeping them away/apart from Rooney, etc. so there's a connection. Being close to Rooney is what led him down the path he's in now, so he fears the same might happen to his children.

Like I said, I haven't seen the film in probably 10+ years, so I'm hesitant to go very far into discussing the details and nuances of it, but as far as I can remember, that's what stuck with me, and that's why I wrote the review I wrote.

I don't think it has to be spelled out. He's trying to keep his children away/apart from his job and this life, and part of that is keeping them away/apart from Rooney, etc. so there's a connection. Being close to Rooney is what led him down the path he's in now, so he fears the same might happen to his children.

Like I said, I haven't seen the film in probably 10+ years, so I'm hesitant to go very far into discussing the details and nuances of it, but as far as I can remember, that's what stuck with me, and that's why I wrote the review I wrote.
I didn't get the sense he was trying to keep his kids away from Rooney. They did talk to him and his son a few times in the first act and Sullivan never brought up any concerns of that during that sequence, nor did he seem to disapprove of them speaking to him. If I watch the early segments again, I may have a different reaction to them, but all I know is I didn't get a sense of this being implied by the film during the first act. That's why I say this theme didn't take prominence until the church scene.

Watched Four Lions. As someone who enjoys British humour this was right up there with the best. Knowing Hindi and Urdu was an added bonus cause the slangs spoken were creatively top notch. Some of them weren't accurately translated in the English subtitles provided by the film.
A really well made satire.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Welcome to the Circle (David Fowler, 2020)
5/10
Postman's Knock (Robert Lynn, 1962)
5.5/10
A Family Tour (Liang Ying, 2018)
5/10
Sound of Metal (Darius Marder, 2019)
6.5/10

Riz Ahmed's heavy metal drummer goes deaf and during a doctor visit realizes he may have to live with it permanently.
Always and Forever (Chris Stokes, 2020)
5/10
Pardon Us (James Parrott, 1931)
6/10
What Lies Below (Braden R. Duemmler, 2020)
5/10
Big Business (J. Wesley Horne & Leo McCarey, 1929)
+ 7.5/10

Christmas tree salesmen Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy take a breather in what may be theit funniest film.
Smiley Face Killers (Tim Hunter, 2020)
- 5/10
Honest Thief (Mark Williams, 2920)
6/10
Barbs, Wastelands (Marta Mateus, 2017)
+ 5/10
Ammonite (Francis Lee, 2020)
6.5/10

Wealthy, married and sickly socialite Saoirse Ronan and renowned, repressed scientific researcher Kate Winslet bring out the best in each other
Survival Skills (Quinn Armstrong, 2020)
+ 5/10
Minor Premise (Eric Schultz, 2020)
6/10
Love, Weddings & Other Disasters (Dennis Dugan, 2020)
5/10
No Place (Peter Matsoukas, 2020)
6/10

The resolution of the escalating problems of not-so-crooked crook Benjamin Madrid lies behind the door.
Maybe I'm Fine (Elizabeth Blake-Thomas, 2019)
6/10
Elyse (Stella Hopkins, 2020)
+ 4.5/10
Darkness Falls AKA Anderson Falls (Julien Seri, 2020)
5/10
Moonstruck (Norman Jewison, 1987)
7+/10

Italians are people too... and funny.

Surprisingly, I had never seen this movie before. So good & entertaining. Bates & Caan terrific together.

Re-watch. Silly movie at first, but it grows on one. Tom Hanks killed in his rôle.

Based on a true story. Pedophilia in the Catholic Church & the subsequent cover-ups.

Movie is very slow & it would benefit from being shorter. But I finished it & it’s worth seeing.

The Lady Eve

****/*****

A very charming screwball comedy from Sturges that released the same year as his own Sullivan's Travels. I didn't like it QUITE as much as that film but this is likely my favorite performance from Stanwyck, outmatching her iconic turn in Double Indemnity.

Catching up with a weekend watch...

DIE HARD (1988)
A Christmas film

The Holiday season is on! I usually wait until Christmas or Christmas Eve for my annual watch, but I rescheduled it to prepare for a podcast and I don't regret it at all What can I say about this? My favorite action film and a great film, period. Love everything from McTiernan's tight direction to the snappy script; love the way they set up things, with great payoffs later on; most of the performances are great, led by Bruce Willis with a perfect "everyman" attitude, and Alan Rickman as one of the most iconic antagonists. A must-see for anybody who enjoys films.

Grade: