Movie Tab II

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Hoops U (Dan Gati, 2015)

Ride in the Whirlwind (Monte Hellman, 1966)

The Shooting (Monte Hellman, 1966)

Rain Man (Barry Levinson, 1988)
+

Selfish businessman Tom Cruise, his girlfriend Valeria Golina and his brother and autistic savant Dustin Hoffman take a dive in Las Vegas.
The Adventurer (Charlie Chaplin, 1917)

Hit by Lightning (Ricky Blitt, 2014)

Story of a Love Affair (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1950)
-
I vinti aka The Vanquished (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1953)

A three-part movie about young amoralists in different countries – the English segment has connections to the later Blow Up when bored poet Peter Reynolds finds a dead body in a park and decides to get famous by confessing to murder.
Desperate Journey (Raoul Walsh, 1942)
+
Prisoners (Denis Villeneuve, 2013)

I Married a Woman (Hal Kanter, 1958)

Where Eagles Dare (Brian G. Hutton, 1968)

American Lieutenant Clint Eastwood and British Major Richard Burton parachute behind Nazi lines to make their way to a mountain fortress where they must accomplish a secret mission.
Billy’s Hollywood Screen Kiss (Tommy O’Haver, 1998)
-
Bait (Hugo Haas, 1954)

White Lightning (Joseph Sargent, 1973)

Jagged Edge (Richard Marquand, 1985)
+

Attorney Glenn Close defends Jeff Bridges for the gruesome murder of his wealthy wife and finds herself falling in love with him.
Cyborg Cop III aka Terminal Impact (Yossi Wein, 1995)

Sweethearts (W.S. Van Dyke II, 1938)

Bitter Sweet (W.S. Van Dyke II, 1940)

West Side Story (Robert Wise & Jerome Robbins, 1961)
-

The Jets imagine a song they’d sing to their beat cop to describe how they’ve turned out.

The Cobbler (2014, Thomas McCarthy)
- An Adam Sandler film that's actually entertaining and fun to watch. I never knew a movie like that existing these days.

Nightcrawler (2014, Dan Gilroy)
- Re-watch but this time on Netflix. A very satisfying and entertaining psychopathic movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Mothra (Ishirô Honda, 1961)

The Fortress (Fernand Melgar, 2009)

A Single Shot (David M. Rosenthal, 2013)

Romeo and Juliet (Franco Zeffirelli, 1968)

Romeo (Leonard Whiting) and Juliet (Olivia Hussey) are members of feuding families in Verona, but they fall in love and live a life’s worth of passion in a few brief moments.
Neighbors (John G. Avildsen, 1981)
+
Trouble Man (Ivan Dixon, 1972)
+
The L Word Mississippi: Hate the Sin (Lauren Lazin, 2014)
+
The Fly (Kurt Neumann, 1958)

While experimenting on his teleportation device, scientist Al (David) Hedison goes through with a fly and turns into a monster, although his wife Patricia Owens wants to help.
Goal! The Dream Begins (Danny Cannon, 2005)

Winchester 73 (Herschell Daugherty, 1967)

The Capital City: Washington, D.C. (James A. FitzPatrick, 1940)

Support Your Local Sheriff! (Burt Kennedy, 1969)

On his way to Australia, relaxed marksman James Garner takes a job as sheriff in a gold-rush town and defeats by using his brains all comers who try to kill him
99 River Street (Phil Karlson, 1953)

Waxworks (Paul Leni & Leo Burinsky, 1924)

Rebus Film 1 (Paul Leni, 1925)

Quiet Riot: Well Now You're Here, There's No Way Back (Regina Russell, 2015)
-

Quiet Riot started at the height of the New Wave craze, and their original contract was such a pathetic joke that it’s legendary, but when they went popular (on MTV yet!), they gave rise to hundreds of similar metal bands, but then the bad times came.
Exiled (Johnnie To, 2006)

The Face Behind the Mask (Robert Florey, 1941)

Special Flight (Fernand Melgar, 2012)

The Equalizer (Antoine Fuqua, 2014)

Hardware store employee Denzel Washington seems to moonlight as a revenge-wielding agent for those who need it.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave

My mum would appreciate this. She adores this film. As a teenager she fell completely in love with it. She even showed me some artwork she did at the time that was inspired by the film; was very good. She loves the music and still has her old vinyl record of the soundtrack. And a couple of years back I found and bought her an original programme from the film for her birthday

Finally after years of hearing about it I watched it with her last year. Kind of hated it! She wasn't best pleased.

I rented the movie The Leopard and, at my biggest surprise, the lead is Burt Lancaster (I never noticed before putting the DVD in) and it kind of botters me to hear the dubbed italian of his charatcter. For those who have seen it, would you say that the English version is good or should I stick with the original italian (except Lancaster's annoying dub)?

thanks!

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Whatever language you watch The Leopard in somebody is dubbed, because nobody is speaking the same language. In the English version Lancaster is speaking for himself, but nobody else is. I watched the Italian version so I can't say whether the English one is better, I'm afraid. I guess it depends on whether it's Lancaster's voice in particular that you're bothered about.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
My mum would appreciate this. She adores this film. As a teenager she fell completely in love with it. She even showed me some artwork she did at the time that was inspired by the film; was very good. She loves the music and still has her old vinyl record of the soundtrack. And a couple of years back I found and bought her an original programme from the film for her birthday

Finally after years of hearing about it I watched it with her last year. Kind of hated it! She wasn't best pleased.

I love Romeo and Juliet too. My 60's list is currently narrowed down to 32 movies. I don't know yet if it will make my top 25, but it's still in my top 32.

A system of cells interlinked
Fury

Ayer, 2014

Suffers from "one-battle-too-many" syndome, but was still entertaining enough. Pitt was good, not great.

Taxi Driver (1976)

Dir. Martin Scorsese

This is not a well paced film. I kind of don't understand why this is such an iconic movie. I found De Niro's performance in Mean Streets to be 100x better and thought the movie as a whole was too. Taxi Driver, on the other hand, slags and slugs through overly long takes and lifeless performances all around. I have watched this movie several times and simply don't get it. I wish I did.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Gunslinger's rage in 3.. 2.. 1...
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
This is not a well paced film.
The pacing in the film is perfect. It is a chilling dark and melancholy psychological character study throughout.
I found De Niro's performance in Mean Streets to be 100x better and thought the movie as a whole was too.
De Niro's performance in Taxi Driver is one of his best ever, bar none.
Taxi Driver, on the other hand, slags and slugs through overly long takes and lifeless performances all around. I have watched this movie several times and simply don't get it. I wish I did.
Lifeless? How so? Is it because Travis Bickle is extremely misanthropic and overall depressed, and many others are rude and unaccepting towards him? If you think a movie full of life is one that doesn't have the darker side of it, then that is not a movie which fully harnesses the range of human life and thoughts.

Oh and if you think the movie is full of overly long takes, wait till ya see a Bela Tarr film.

It's not the plot, it's the acting. And again, the pacing. Everything is just so wooden and drab. "But that's the point". I get it, but it's just not executed well IMO. There's no juice. There are no stakes. I'm not inclined to care about Bickle or what he does. :/

Chungking Express (Wong Kar-wai, 1994)

Morgan! (Karel Reisz, 1966)

High Fidelity (Stephen Frears, 2000)
-
High and Low (Akira Kurosawa, 1963)

The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer et al, 2012)

Paradise Lost: the Child Murders at Robinhood Hills (Berlinger and Sinofsky, 1996)

Emma (Douglas McGrath, 1996)
+
Machete Kills (Robert Rodriguez, 2013)
+
Ashes of Time (Wong Kar-wai, 1994)

Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (Raoul Ruiz, 1978)

The Great Beauty (Paolo Sorrentino, 2013)

Hits (David Cross, 2014)
-
To the Wonder (Terrence Malick, 2012)

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Chris Weitz, 2009)
-
Lucy (Luc Besson, 2014)
+
Leap Year (Anand Tucker, 2010)

22 Jump Street (Lord and Miller, 2014)

Bewitched (Nora Ephron, 2005)

Larry Crowne (Tom Hanks, 2011)

Let's Be Cops (Luke Greenfield, 2014)
-

A system of cells interlinked
I can't give Taxi Driver anything less than
but mostly I just go with

I can't find anything wrong with that film. I have watched the final seconds with the shot in the rear view mirror probably 100 times...one of my favorite sequences in film ever.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Am I the only one who liked Bewitched? (And I hate Will Ferrell.)
Possibly. it's a terrible film.

I don't think Bewitched is a great movie, but I think it's better than most people rate it. It's at least as good as an average rom-com.