Final Fantasy VII

Tools    

Who is psyched for this game? I sure am.

The original is probably the prime game from my childhood and is the first game I played with my step-dad. He in fact introduced me to the game and franchise.

I just thought I would make this thread to see if anyone else shares the same interest as me in the franchise.

Also, I think it would be great to discuss both the upcoming remake and the original game.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm dubious about a remake. The original is brilliant. Will a remake be better graphics at the expense of story? To me, VII was the high point of the franchise, although I stopped playing after X-2.

I'm dubious about a remake. The original is brilliant. Will a remake be better graphics at the expense of story? To me, VII was the high point of the franchise, although I stopped playing after X-2.
I've heard that they are building upon the story. Trying to add extra elements and depth maybe.

Although yes, FF7 is the high-point of the franchise for me too and if they don't make this good I will be very disappointed.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I like the scope of the original story though, all the unanswered questions, all the things that don't quite add up, all the little side stories and subplots, it's all part of the charm. I hope they don't try to tie up loose ends or make it tighter.

Will the characters talk? I'm not sure how I feel about that. It wouldn't be the same without Cid swearing in a little blue box...

Final Fantasy VII is my favourite ever game. I do agree with TN though that I'm not exactly crazy about this idea, still I'll play it. I had a copy of FF7 that my uncle gave me for about two years before I finally played it and I've since completed it multiple times and have a save on my ps1 memory card as well as my PS3 in which I'd done everything. And I'm not even much of a gamer.

I hope they dont change the Materia concept. That was the best power concept they had in the entire series, and made most sense.

A system of cells interlinked
Loved this game. I wonder though...will the magic remain if i return to it after all these years, or is it best left as a fond memory of gaming's past?

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I liked VII a lot, but it wasn't the high point of the series for me. For that, I'd choose the FF spinoff Final Fantasy Tactics, which got a typical Square Enix semi-remake some years back. As far as main series goes, I like FF IV, VI, and X more that VII, though I still like VII a lot.

My hope is that they don't turn it into an ARPG and retain the Materia system to keep character customization up. I liked FFXIII's fast paced combat system, but one of the things that this lacks is full party control, which most ARPGs lack as well. I think full party control is essential to FF's storytelling and should not be scrapped for a "more fun" (read: modern) combat system.
As far as voice acting, I fear that with Nomura directing there's a fair fear of it being cringeworthy performances. I'm not fundamentally against voice acting, but I don't have much confidence in them to pull it off, especially for the angst-filled Cloud and for Barrett.

I like the scope of the original story though, all the unanswered questions, all the things that don't quite add up, all the little side stories and subplots, it's all part of the charm. I hope they don't try to tie up loose ends or make it tighter.

Will the characters talk? I'm not sure how I feel about that. It wouldn't be the same without Cid swearing in a little blue box...
I get what you mean yeah.

I imagine that it will be voice-acted too.

FF X is probably my second favourite. While I'm one of the few who actually liked FF VIII even if it was a bit easy
X is probably my third favorite (just above IX).

I don't have an Xbox One or PS4 but after seeing the reveal for this... It's got me thinking of picking a Playstation up. I'd like to get into all the Ratchet & Clank games I've missed since PS2, as well.

I don't have an Xbox One or PS4 but after seeing the reveal for this... It's got me thinking of picking a Playstation up. I'd like to get into all the Ratchet & Clank games I've missed since PS2, as well.
I remember those games! I heard that the PS4 is soon to be backwards-compatible and I haven't played the PS3 ones. I'll probably purchase them at some point after it is possible to play them on a PS4.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Judging by Square Enix's current trends, it'll probably come out on PC too, so you're good if you have that

Judging by Square Enix's current trends, it'll probably come out on PC too, so you're good if you have that
Oh!! If they have FF VII II (?) on PC then that would be perfect!!! Could you imagine the graphics quality?!

I hope they go all-out on the music because believe me it was award winning in the first one yet was the most underappreciated aspect of the game. Aint no way someone could play that for hours on hours if it sounded like an episode of Barney.