Movie Tab II

Tools    

Maybe I should explain. I'm in my early 20's and didn't have the luxury of seeing most classics in the theater. I also live in a horrible neighborhood, far from any independent theater they may be screening things like Blade Runner or Jaws and so forth. I'd say 95% of the movies I've seen, I've watched at home.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Battle of the Bulge (Ken Annakin, 1965)

God's Gift to Women (Michael Curtiz, 1931)

The Big One (Michael Moore, 1998)

The Great Raid (John Dall, 2005)

Near the end of WWII, a battalion of U.S. Army Rangers, led by Lt. Col. Benjamin Bratt and Captain James Franco, attempt to rescue 500 POWs from a Japanese camp in the Philippines.
From the Ends of the Earth (No Director Listed, 1939)
+
The Go Getter (Busby Berkeley, 1937)

Herbie Fully Loaded (Angela Robinson, 2005)

Nothing Sacred (William A. Wellman, 1937)

In this first screwball comedy filmed in three-strip Technicolor, Hazel Flagg (Carole Lombard) , misdiagnosed with radium poisoning, accepts from a headline-seeking newspaper a trip to NYC where everyone celebrates her life and “impending death”, and since she knows she’s fine, she naturally gets drunk.
The Blue Bird (Michael Tourneur, 1918)

The Forest for the Trees (Maren Ade, 2005)
+
Little Journeys to Great Masters (E.M. Newman, 1931)

OT: our town (Scott Hamilton Kennedy, 2003)

Two teachers decide to stage Our Town at Compton’s Dominguez High School where they haven’t staged a play for 20 years.
Levity (Ed Solomon, 2003)
+
Devil’s Island (William Clemens, 1939)

The Corn Is Green (Irving Rapper, 1945)

Birdman of Alcatraz (John Frankenheimer, 1962)

Robert Stroud (Burt Lancaster), a two-time murderer sentenced to life in solitary confinement, finds, nurses and trains a sparrow, his first bird among thousands he eventually studies.
Quality Balls: The David Steinberg Story (Barry Avrich, 2013)
+
Glory Daze (Rich Wilkes, 1996)
-
Airplane II: The Sequel (Ken Finkleman, 1982)

Airplane! (ZAZ, 1980)
-

Pilot Peter Graves takes an interest in having young Rossie Davis in his cockpit.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The only funny (and creepy) scene in Airplane!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Welcome to the human race...
It's hard to just name "one" when you see countless of films that look good on the big screen, hence my list. And my previous comment....

Wasn't me feeling or showing anger or annoyance at what Carbs had to say, or what he thought, it was just a question out of curiosity.
You're right, I did misinterpret the intent to a degree - it helps to clarify in case someone might read it the wrong way. Anyway, I'd say Jaws would be me definite answer simply because it's the highest film on my Top 10 that I've managed to see in a theatrical context (twice, no less), but yeah, I have a lot of opportunities for seeing good films in theatres.

Puni Puni Poemi (2001)

8/10

Agent Aika (1997)

8/10

Magical Girl Pretty Sammy (1995)

5/10

When Marnie was There (2014)

8/10

Starship Troopers (1988)

5/10

About Elly (2009)

Buddha Collapsed Out of Shame (2007)

Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015) (Rewatch)
+

Cool Hand Luke (Stuart Rosenberg, 1967) (Rewatch)

A Beautiful Mind (Ron Howard, 2001) (Rewatch)
+

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (Robert Zemeckis, 1988) (Rewatch)

Yellow Submarine (George Dunning, 1968)
-

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Mad Max (1979) -
(Solid introduction to the superior second part. The wife and baby scene was hard-hitting. Besides, your standard revenge flick. Not too original.)

Mad Max 2 [The Road Warrior] (1981) -
+ (Amazing. Gibson is amazing, Doggie is amazing, Captain is amazing, the final action sequence is very well done, too. I'm a snob and can't give it a better rating, since it's not artsy-pantsy slow burning drama about nothing. Then again, I rate Indiana Jones original trilogy the same and I love these films, so it's a very high rating for this type of films.)

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) -
(Good Lord! What happened here? Mad Max became a children-friendly family adventure movie. The cage fight was mildly entertaining, but it just went downhill from there.)

Der ewige Jude [The Eternal Jew] (1940) -
(Propaganda is good when it works. And it works.)

Kung Fury (2015) -
(Very cool, but heavily draws from Danger 5. Manborg is better.)

Patrz±c pod słońce (1971) -
(Good short. It has Polish beauty Barbara Brylska running naked on the beach!)

Kobiela na plaży [Kobiela On The Beach] (1963) -
(One of the most known Polish actors of the era decides to do something that today we would call 'pranks'. He wears skier's costume on the beach, becomes a rescuer, ice-cream seller and then photographer to TROLL people. Entertaining watch.)

Nightcrawler (2014) -
(Glorious. Maybe I'm overrating it, because I rate it higher than Taxi Driver and American Psycho, but I was really impressed with this. The restaurant scene has so much tension!)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Golden Glamour (Larry Williams, 1955)

Johnny Dangerously (Amy Heckerling, 1984)

Ecstasy (Rob Heydon, 2012)

Alice Adams (George Stevens, 1935)

Alice Adams (Katharine Hepburn) is so self-conscious about her family’s lack of wealth and the “good things in life” that she can’t tell her rich beau (Fred MacMurray) is crazy about her.
The Last American Hero (Lamont Johnson, 1973)

The Terrorists (Caspar Wrede, 1974)
-
The Life of Vergie Winters (Alfred Santell, 1934)

Munyurangabo (Lee Isaac Chung, 2008)

After the 1994 Rwanda genocide, two friends - Sangwa (Eric Dorunkundiye), a Hutu and Ngabo (Jeff Rutagengwa), a Tutsi - struggle to overcome family history and racial hatred which threatens to drive them apart.
Crazy Kind of Love (Sarah Siegel-Magness, 2013)

Romance in Manhattan (Stephen Roberts, 1935)

Saskatchewan (Raoul Walsh, 1954)

Time After Time (Nicholas Meyer, 1979)
+

After traveling into the future in his time machine to catch up to Jack the Ripper (David Warner), who did the same thing , H.G. Wells (Malcolm McDowell) finds himself in a San Francisco museum exhibit about himself and almost accosted by Corey Feldman.
Trinidad (Jay Hodges & PJ Raval, 2008)
+
World Without End (Edward Bernds, 1956)

The Puppet Masters (Stuart Orme, 1994)

Stir Crazy (Sidney Poitier, 1980)
+

Unemployed writer Gene Wilder and actor Richard Pryor are wrongfully convicted and sent to prison where they eventually agree to participate in the prison rodeo.
Redacted (Brian De Palma, 2007)

Dr. Who and the Daleks (Gordon Flemyng, 1965)

Married Bachelor (Edward Buzzell, 1941)

Alienł (David Fincher, 1992)

After her escape pod crashes on a prison planet, Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) finds herself face-to-face with another alien, but this one doesn’t want to kill her.

Alan Partridge (Declan Lowney, 2013)
I'd give this the same. Saw it in the cinema with my mates who are much bigger fans of Steve Coogan than me (in the fact that they've watched a lot more of his stuff, I still think he's really funny), and although parts of it were really standard, it had me laughing quite a bit.

Have you seen Jim Jarmusch's Coffee and Cigarettes? I watched that earlier this year and I thought Coogan and Molina's segment "Cousins?" was the best part.

I saw Coffee and Cigarettes when it was in theaters but didn't know who Steve Coogan was at the time, I remember liking the sketch with Molina though. For Coogan, I especially liked 24 Hour Party People and The Trip (I liked The Trip to Italy, Tristram Shandy, Hamlet 2 all a little less than Alan Partridge but they were still okay). Anything else you would recommend?

Logan's Run (1976)

Dir. Michael Anderson

One of the better sci-fi movies I've seen. Not just for its time, but in general. Sure one could say it's a bit dated, but that's a nothing criticism. It's almost 40 years old, of course it's going to look a little aged. That being said, the story is great and the ending is as well.

FINAL VERDICT: Worth a watch. Especially for the last thirty minutes or so. A really nice message in there.

Mean Streets (1973)

Dir. Martin Scorsese

Arguably the most authentic Scorsese film and definitely one of my favorites. Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro absolutely kill this one. You gotta love a tight, well told story. Never strays from the path, never drags and never finds a way to become a broken record. The ending isn't one I expected either, but loved nonetheless. Might do a full review on this at some point.

FINAL VERDICT: Church for any Scorsese fan but would also work for those maybe not too interested in the crime drama. There's a personal human element here that I think we can all relate to in one way or another.

I saw Coffee and Cigarettes when it was in theaters but didn't know who Steve Coogan was at the time, I remember liking the sketch with Molina though. For Coogan, I especially liked 24 Hour Party People and The Trip (I liked The Trip to Italy, Tristram Shandy, Hamlet 2 all a little less than Alan Partridge but they were still okay). Anything else you would recommend?
I watched some of the TV series of The Trip to Italy and also some of his Alan Partridge stuff, but other than that I haven't seen much, but I definitely want to. He seems like a funny guy whenever I see him, and definitely has a very British feel, so I really ought to watch more.

May, 2015 movies watched-

A Man for All Seasons (1966)
Nice cast and well made, but not for me.

Alice, Sweet Alice (1976) Repeat viewing Excellent Top 10 slasher for me, creepy and seedy with the right amount of violence.

The Professionals (1966)
Entertaining Western with a great cast that I would've loved with a couple small tweaks.

Christmas Evil (1980) Very Good This slasher is a hidden gem that I enjoyed for it's dark comedy.

Dressed to Kill (1980) Repeat viewing Excellent I'm a big fan of erotic thrillers, and De Palma is a master.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
A personal favorite in which I'm able to feel the character's emotions.

Paprika (2006)
Not a movie that suits my taste, but I liked it anyway.

Easy Rider (1969) Repeat viewing
I think some scenes go on too long, but there's a lot I love about this movie.

Ivan's Childhood (1962)
By far the easiest to watch out of the 5 I've seen from director Andrei Tarkovsky.

El Dorado (1966)
Entertaining Western with Wayne, Mitchum, and Caan.

Jason X (2001) Average Jason in space, what else needs to be said?

Teorema (1968)
Decent Italian arthouse from the director of Salo.

Women in Love (1969)
Relationship drama set in the 20's, with a slight dark side.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) Repeat viewing
One of the greatest Westerns even though it definitely drags at times for me.

The Seasoning House (2012)
Average movie with some bite to it, thanks to some great brutality.

Jeepers Creepers (2001) Repeat viewing Above average Fun horror with a great ending.

The Naked Kiss (1964)
Memorable, slightly twisted noir.

The Unforgiven (1960)
Fairly disturbing Wrstern with great performances from Hepburn and Lancaster.

Happy Birthday to Me (1981) Above average I liked everything about this slasher, I just didn't love anything about it.

Time After Time (1979)
Good movie with a good story. I just didn't find it memorable.

The Beyond (1981)
Terrific atmosphere in this Italian horror.

Gate of Flesh (1964)
Good Japanese film that I think could've benefited from a more consistent tone.

Take the Money and Run (1969)
Woody Allen mockumentary that's funny at times, but not much else.

Cool Hand Luke (1967) Repeat viewing
I strongly preferred the first half, but this movie has many memorable scenes.

An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
Rivals Late Spring as my favorite from Ozu so far.
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)
I wouldn't call it a good movie, but it's a whole lot of fun.

Godzilla (2014)
Weak plot of course but I thoroughly enjoyed the action.

Fahrenheit 451 (1966)
Nice story and visuals, but the execution did not excite me.

Romeo and Juliet (1968)
Not my kind of movie at all, but it's very well done and it had enough I liked to keep me in it.

The Gambler (2014)
I probably overreacted when I first watched it, but it's still pretty crappy.

Kes (1969)
The best I've seen of the British kitchen sink.

Samurai Rebellion (1967)
Great story and cast featuring Toshiro Mifune.

Seed (2007)
Extremely dark and brutal, not for the faint of heart.

Naked (1993)
Funny and miserable at the same time, love it or hate it.

Army of Shadows (1969)
Very well done political thriller with some tense and exciting scenes.

Inherent Vice (2014)
-Total disaster for me.

Edward Scissorhands (1990)
Glad to have finally seen this very endearing movie.

The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959)
The first installment of a long ass trilogy was great, but I want more from the next two.

The Night of the Iguana (1964)
A nice movie for adults with a great cast.

May viewings-39
Total 2015 viewings-208

I'm planning on watching another 25-30 60's movies before turning in my list.