Do you know where you will spend eternity?

Tools    

Where do you think you would spend eternity, if God forbid, you were to die later today?

I am not sending this to you to preach religion. I am asking you if you were standing before a Holy God do you think that He would have an issue with your sin if you were standing in front of a Holy God?

Because that is exactly what the Bible tells us. That a Holy God can not be in the presence of sin. So every human being that has ever lived has had the exact same problem. This sin problem. But do you also know that Jesus Christ offers all of us a free gift, the forgiveness of sin. And faith and belief is all God wants from you. So, do you believe that Jesus was the Son of God who came to earth and lived a perfect life? Do you know that God will accept Christ's perfect life and let Christ be your Advocate, so on Judgement Day God doesn't look at all the bad stuff you've done. Instead, God will look at His perfect Son when He see's you. Because Jesus and His perfection literally stand in our place.

Something like that. I would try to lay it out in the most simple terms so they know what the problem is and what the solution is and how it works.

Then in the last sentence just write a quick sentence like "there really is little difference between you and I, I am a sinner too. But I have accepted Christ's free gift of salvation and I know that I will be with God in eternity. I sincerely hope that this has helped you and I do apologize for being so forward, but I have to share this with you because I'm sure neither of us gets free gifts often. At this point, I would recommend for you a good Bible-based church that can answer any questions you have and will surround you with like-minded believers. Just Google bible church in your local area. God bless you!"

Rom 3:23 :
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Now that you know that no one is good in God's eyes, how do we then become good? How do we become vindicated before God? The Bible teaches that we need to have Jesus' righteousness but the only way to do that is to come to Him by faith:

Rom 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Rom 10:10
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Jesus commands everyone everywhere to repent of their sins, to ask for His forgiveness, and to turn from their sins and to put their faith and trust in Him. Repenting means that you are sincerely sorry for all the bad things you have done in life and you want Jesus to change you into his holiness and righteousness.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think I've been sucked into a chronosynclasticinfundibulum.

On top of a pile of money with many beautiful laydeeez.
Sounds like more fun than the urn my ashes will be in, Iank.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
In a mansion watching season 96,592 of The Golden Girls with Lucille Bluth as a part of the cast. There will be at least a dozen dogs, preferably golden retrievers, but it's okay because they won't die either.

I mean, young-ish Christian Bale as a bf would be nice, but Hagen Dazs would be an acceptable alternative to this should he be straight in my heaven.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Where do you think you would spend eternity, if God forbid, you were to die later today?

Heaven, eventually; but I'm looking at a long time in Purgatory before that blessed day.

Truly, I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny. - Matthew 5:26

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Tom Waits - Dirt In The Ground

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'll spend it having sex with 72 virgins!
Given how you will spend the whole eternity there and how fast virgins "expire", 72 doesn't seem a satisfactory number. No number does. Now, just one person, but one you are willing to spend an eternity with sounds like a better deal. Come on, guys. Forget carnal desires! This is supposed to be Heaven! You will have eternity! An opportunity to acquire all the knowledge known to mankind, and that not yet known. At last an opportunity to watch all movies ever made (take that, @mark f!). You will be able to meet all historic figures (minus the ones in Hell, obviously) and thanks to them acquire a better understanding of history. Well, some virgins wouldn't too bad either. Of course, everyone will have his/hers own Heaven, sort of an ethereal consciousness that has everything just perfect for you. And these could intersect, if both people wanted to, so that you could be reunited with your loved ones. Or you just die and there's dirt.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The idea that anything happens after death beyond blinking out like a light strikes me as rather preposterous. Of course, you can believe anything you want in life because you'll never know you were wrong.

...unless you're wrong, in which case, you will.

I think the idea of calling anything believed so overwhelmingly by the rest of humanity "preposterous" is, itself, inherently preposterous. I can't imagine approaching this question without far more humility than words like that allow for, though if I absolutely had to slot any worldview under it, only materialistic attempts at explaining cosmological origins would make the cut.

I think responding to this sort of topic to say you think nothing does is pretty silly.

Saying that...nothing.

I don't think believing something does is preposterous though, that's really depressing. Love all my Irish family who pray for my soul so much, hope they are right and they convince god i'm worth it.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Yeah, I think I'm too optimistic to accept that there's nothing waiting after we die. It's one of those things where my heart and my head tell me different things. I want there to be something after we die, but it's more likely than not that there really is nothing. I have faith though

Anyway, there's a jewellery store in Glasgow called Eternity - http://www.eternitythejewellers.co.uk/

I'd probably spend alot of money in eternity but there's much better jewellers so this complex targetting of me as a customer has failed, sorry guys.

I think responding to this sort of topic to say you think nothing does is pretty silly.

Saying that...nothing.

I don't think believing something does is preposterous though, that's really depressing. Love all my Irish family who pray for my soul so much, hope they are right and they convince god i'm worth it.
I have Irish family too, my grandparents owned land over there which was used to produce food during the war.

I am not sending this to you to preach religion....
...and then goes on to preach religion. 1 post, 1 thread, vomit your worldviews onto a group of strangers.

This is literally one of the things that turns me off so much to 'organized' religion.

...and then goes on to preach religion.
LOL. I was sitting in a coffee shop yesterday morning when I saw the OP and laughed so hard I snorted. So embarrassing.

...unless you're wrong, in which case, you will.
LOL

I think the idea of calling anything believed so overwhelmingly by the rest of humanity "preposterous" is, itself, inherently preposterous..
So having an opinion different than other people is "inherently preposterous"? I don't follow that logic. Maybe because there is no logic to follow. And I don't know if the idea of an afterlife is overwhelmingly believed by the rest of humanity (not even every religion allows for an afterlife), but it doesn't matter. Whether one person believes something or several billion people believe something doesn't make it true or false. Let me be clear: My post in no way said a person was being preposterous for having a particular belief, only that for me I find the idea preposterous.

I can't imagine approaching this question without far more humility than words like that allow for, though if I absolutely had to slot any worldview under it, only materialistic attempts at explaining cosmological origins would make the cut.
Well, I guess we are different people. I have no idea what point you were trying to make in the second half of that sentence. What do cosmological origins have to do with this topic? Even if some god created the universe, it wouldn't mean there was an afterlife. And when someone says eternity, I wonder if they really understand what that means. Forever. What are you going to do forever? What will you be? Yourself? Something else? Trillions of years after the sun has burned out, will you still be conscious with infinity ahead of you? Even if you're in "bliss" how long does it need to last when enough is enough?

Even after I stopped believing in any God, I still hung on the idea of an afterlife, and I imagined it as this cosmic-like ocean where souls went to after death, and for a while you would still retain your identity, and then eventually your consciousness, so to speak, would slowly merge with all the other souls or spirits in this oceanic existence. It struck me as an ideal view of the afterlife, and then after a year or so I gave up thinking this was anything but my own fantasy.

Not sure there's any way to "LOL" at that statement without doing so at your own, since it was responding in kind. Worse, actually, because yours was just a flat declaration, and I at least bothered to say "unless."

So having an opinion different than other people is "inherently preposterous"? I don't follow that logic.
I don't follow the logic of quoting something and then immediately repeating it differently in a rhetorical question. Here it is again:
I think the idea of calling anything believed so overwhelmingly by the rest of humanity "preposterous" is, itself, inherently preposterous.
So no, "having a different opinion" isn't what's inherently preposterous.

And I don't know if the idea of an afterlife is overwhelmingly believed by the rest of humanity (not even every religion allows for an afterlife), but it doesn't matter. Whether one person believes something or several billion people believe something doesn't make it true or false.
Obviously. But again, you didn't merely assert that it was inaccurate, but that it was preposterous, which implies not just falsity, but absurdity. And you dismissed the idea that anything happens as being preposterous, which encompasses virtually every religion, so that parenthetical doesn't apply.

Let me be clear: My post in no way said a person was being preposterous for having a particular belief, only that for me I find the idea preposterous.
The fact that you were willing to say this about all such people en masse does not make it any less condescending to any one specific person. It's usually the other way: generalizations are usually less defensible than individual judgments, not more.

Well, I guess we are different people. I have no idea what point you were trying to make in the second half of that sentence. What do cosmological origins have to do with this topic? Even if some god created the universe, it wouldn't mean there was an afterlife.
No, but if you posit a God, it's pretty hard to maintain the position that any kind of afterlife is "preposterous," since the most (presumably) objectionable thing about it for skeptics is the fact that it's metaphysical at all, and the existence of the metaphysical will have already been established.

And when someone says eternity, I wonder if they really understand what that means. Forever. What are you going to do forever? What will you be? Yourself? Something else? Trillions of years after the sun has burned out, will you still be conscious with infinity ahead of you? Even if you're in "bliss" how long does it need to last when enough is enough?
Oy, even this is condescending. As if believers don't ask themselves such obvious probing questions about their beliefs.

Clearly, none of us really understand what that means. But that's true of a lot of the alternatives, too. Regardless, I find trying to frame metaphysical questions in physical terms to be pretty myopic. However seriously it may be framed, in substance it's usually just half a notch above "so...do people in Heaven pee?"

Even after I stopped believing in any God, I still hung on the idea of an afterlife, and I imagined it as this cosmic-like ocean where souls went to after death, and for a while you would still retain your identity, and then eventually your consciousness, so to speak, would slowly merge with all the other souls or spirits in this oceanic existence. It struck me as an ideal view of the afterlife, and then after a year or so I gave up thinking this was anything but my own fantasy.
Finally, a point of agreement; I think that any view of the afterlife chosen simply because it feels "ideal" is probably a fantasy, yes. The afterlife I believe in is not the one I would have guessed or chosen, and if God is real, I take it for granted that He won't conform to all my preconceptions or desires. There'd be little point in it all if He did.