The MoFo Top 100 of the 1940's

→ in
Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
List #2 is in!

The Gunslinger has sent in his list!

Do short films count?
I never heard one way or the other that they wouldn't count.

And like he said:
Duck Amuk made the 50's list. Shorts are good
I thought the same thing when I saw that you asked that, Guap.

So, if there are some films that you think deserve to be on it, go ahead and include them.

I need some recommendations for this countdown!
There's 10 weeks left until the deadline and I want to watch some 1940's movies, so I can send in my top 25 list.

So give me some 40s movie recommendations please

@Citizen Rules
I have a feeling that if I recommended something to you, you will have seen it.
Except for the film Kitty, of course.

@Citizen Rules
I have a feeling that if I recommended something to you, you will have seen it.
Except for the film Kitty, of course.
Kitty (1945)

This one right?...I found it online and should be watching it soon. It's highly rated but I've never seen it, so should be a real treat

Kitty (1945)

This one right?...I found it online and should be watching it soon. It's highly rated but I've never seen it, so should be a real treat

That's the one.

Just for the fun of it, I will have to try to come up with a list and we'll see how many you've seen. There's one in my mind already that I have talked about (and no, it is NOT The Pride of the Yankees - but I still recommend it to everyone even if they have already seen it - like you!) - but I can't recall if you've ever said that you've seen this particular movie or not. Yeah, that will be my goal for the day. Try to create this list for you. I've got absolutely nothing else happening today.

Ha, that's cool...and you know even if I've seen one before, it's probably been like over a decade, and so I do need to watch it again.

I want to watch a whole bunch of 40s movies before I send in my voting list

I need some recommendations for this countdown!
There's 10 weeks left until the deadline and I want to watch some 1940's movies, so I can send in my top 25 list.

So give me some 40s movie recommendations please
I highly suggest He Walked by Night from 1948. A Hollywood adaptation of an actual manhunt for a thief, burglar and cop killer. Very well shot, lots of shadows, and full of suspense.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I want to watch a whole bunch of 40s movies before I send in my voting list
According to your lists you have not yet seen Brighton Rock. I think it would be up your street.

I highly suggest He Walked by Night from 1948. A Hollywood adaptation of an actual manhunt for a thief, burglar and cop killer. Very well shot, lots of shadows, and full of suspense.
Good one! I've seen that once before, but I can hardly remember it as it was like 10 years ago, so I will try to watch it again. I love noir and I remember it was unique in how the story was told as we see it from the eyes of the cop killer on the run.

According to your lists you have not yet seen Brighton Rock. I think it would be up your street.

Nope, I haven't seen Brighton Rock, I'll watch that after I watch Kitty (1948)

Cool that's 3 movies I would never have considered, thanks! Keep them coming

@Citizen Rules
I am going to take a chance and throw a bunch of film titles out there of ones that I enjoyed.
Like I said, you will probably have seen a few of these (I have a feeling which ones those might be), but I will still mention them, anyway, just in case.

The Corn Is Green
Gaslight
The Uninvited
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
Going My Way
The Miracle On Morgan's Creek
Heaven Can Wait
The More The Merrier
Now Voyager
The Palm Beach Story
The Man Who Came to Dinner
Random Harvest
Penny Serenade
The Letter
Here Comes Mr. Jordan
Abe Lincoln in Illinois
Remember the Night
Life With Father
The Heiress
Adam's Rib
Portrait of Jennie
Fort Apache
3 Godfathers
The Picture of Dorian Gray
(this was the movie that I wasn't sure if you'd said anything about having seen it when I mentioned it awhile ago)
The Blue Dahlia
Gentleman's Agreement
My Darling Clementine
The Razor's Edge
Twelve O'Clock High
Sorry, Wrong Number

And of course The Pride of the Yankees. Never forget that one!

Anyway, I tried to come up with enough of a variety of films. I didn't want the list to be too stuck in one genre.

@SilentVamp thanks for the movie recommendations. That helps, as I haven't seen some of those...while others I had forgot all about

I put links in to the IMDB movie page as I was reading about each one, so why not? it saves time for someone else who wants to click and look

I haven't seen these:
Here Comes Mr. Jordan Just requested it
3 Godfathers Just requested it too
The Corn Is Green Bette Davis I have this one but haven't ever watched it.
The Picture of Dorian Gray I hope I can find this one.
The Blue Dahlia Veronica Lake, woohoo!
My Darling ClementineJohn Ford cool and my library has it even cooler.
Remember the NightNot sure if I seen this but I have most all of Barbara Stanwyck's film so I'll watch it

I've seen these and you got some nice choices there too! I'll try to watch some of these, before the deadline.

Gaslight
The Uninvited
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
Going My Way
The Miracle On Morgan's Creek
Heaven Can Wait
The More The Merrier
Now Voyager
The Palm Beach Story
The Man Who Came to Dinner
Random Harvest
Penny Serenade
The Letter
Abe Lincoln in Illinois
Life With Father
The Heiress
Adam's Rib
Portrait of Jennie
Fort Apache
Gentleman's Agreement
The Razor's Edge
Twelve O'Clock High
Sorry, Wrong Number

The Pride of the Yankees!

I hope you can find that one, too. I only own it recorded off of TV. I never got around to buying the tape, or now the DVD. I was really hoping my library had a copy because this countdown put me in the mood to watch it again, but they don't. And we all know I can't watch my videotape of it.

Remember the NightNot sure if I seen this but I have most all of Barbara Stanwyck's film so I'll watch it
And if you like, you could also watch Remember the Day after Remember the Night. Completely different sort of film, but if you are a fan of Claudette Colbert, you get her in there. As for me, I get some John Payne with it.

Going My Way
The More The Merrier
Penny Serenade
Oh, gosh darn it! I was really hoping that these three would be movies that would've been a first-time-viewing for you. Oh, well.

Abe Lincoln in Illinois
YOU'VE SEEN THIS MOVIE??? I thought I was the only one! At least I am the only one I know of that has seen it.