Are the Alien sequels in jeopardy?

Tools    

HollywoodReporter came out with an article claiming some studios are rethinking their franchises. One of them being Fox and their Alien sequels. Seeing as Covenant is considered a major loss for them. I think it's a wise decision if they do. No matter what Scott tries it's just not working out.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lis...source=twitter

HollywoodReporter came out with an article claiming some studios are rethinking their franchises. One of them being Fox and their Alien sequels. Seeing as Covenant is considered a major loss for them. I think it's a wise decision if they do. No matter what Scott tries it's just not working out.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lis...source=twitter
It does sound like they're in trouble. I was shocked that Covenant was being called a failure.

“I was cured, all right!”
Covenant sucks. They need to stop this "franchise" thing... Just let the damn movies alone.
"Saw" is coming back, this franchise had a beautiful start with the first one, and a lot of fu***ng bad sequels.
But... yeah U$$$

Covenant sucks. They need to stop this "franchise" thing... Just let the damn movies alone.
"Saw" is coming back, this franchise had a beautiful start with the first one, and a lot of fu***ng bad sequels.
But... yeah U$$$
Agreed. And Speaking of Unnecessary Sequels, James Cameron is OF COURSE making 4 more Avatar Movies. I wasn't even a fan of the first one and didn't think it warranted a sequel. But ALAS, Cameron is no longer the thinking man's Michael Bay, now he's an "Artist" making "deep", "emotionally complex", "films." (All because 'Titanic' won Best Picture, and 'Avatar' became the highest grossing movie ever made.) Cut me a f**king break. Some of these Filmmakers just need to retire if they're going to do stuff like this.
Vice President
358 Exchange Place New York, N.Y. 10099 FAX 212 555 6390 TELEX : () 4534

It would be "interesting" to tell Ridley Scott his services are no longer required .

Interesting subject... I was watching the Making Of Alien 3 yesterday... like, the 3 hour long documentary.

An idea for Alien 3 was originally to go to the planet where the Xenomorph came from, and have Ripley and Hicks leading the mission... and there were a bunch of other ideas, one of which was twisted around a bit and turned into the Alien 3 we got.

One of the producers actually said about the Alien Planet idea... "There's still room to do that... I'd like to see Ridley Scott do it. Return to the franchise and take us to the source"...

And now that Ridley is doing that, nobody likes it.

Welcome to the human race...
I certainly hope not. Covenant was actually going somewhere more interesting than your average franchise installment so the prospect of Scott and co. being swapped out in favour of someone who can provide a profitable but empty crowd-pleaser doesn't sound good to me.

I certainly hope not. Covenant was actually going somewhere more interesting than your average franchise installment so the prospect of Scott and co. being swapped out in favour of someone who can provide a profitable but empty crowd-pleaser doesn't sound good to me.
And yet Covenant — although I haven't seen it yet — appeared to be at least a partial crowd-pleaser.

It's a divisive film, that's for sure.
Shame, I liked the approach in Prometheus of avoiding the Alien where possible and showing something new.

Hmm, if that's your take then who knows what you'd make of Covenant.
Well exactly, I don't have high expectations .

Interesting subject... I was watching the Making Of Alien 3 yesterday... like, the 3 hour long documentary.

An idea for Alien 3 was originally to go to the planet where the Xenomorph came from, and have Ripley and Hicks leading the mission... and there were a bunch of other ideas, one of which was twisted around a bit and turned into the Alien 3 we got.

One of the producers actually said about the Alien Planet idea... "There's still room to do that... I'd like to see Ridley Scott do it. Return to the franchise and take us to the source"...

And now that Ridley is doing that, nobody likes it.
I think it's the way he's putting it together that's the problem. There's potential there, but it tends to get lost in the nonsense and an almost listless disposition from those involved. I can only speak for myself, but ultimately the problem I have with the new films is a lack of zeal and grit. Bottom line.

I have to return some videotapes.
I really enjoyed Covenant. I wouldnt care either way.. I think they've overdone the Alien franchise anyways

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I believe Ridley Scott is a talented director and, after watching Alien: Covenant, I believe that it is a misuse of his time and resources.

I admit to having some catching up to do in the alien franchise and haven't seen covenant but just thought I would add my thoughts on how I would love to see neill blomkamps alien sequel. Ridley is old an just doesn't have a fresh take on movie nowadays. District 9 is the perfect example of the fresh ideas and energy needed to revive the alien franchise. Elysium had the right ideas but just was poorly executed. I won't try and and defend chappie which is a steaming pile of crap, and seems to have hurt blomkamps chances of getting his alien movie made. Nontheless, blomkamp would give a fresh take on the alien franchise, sort of like what James Cameron did with aliens after Ridleys alien. Ridley needs to stop trying to recreate the first and stop focusing on visual effects as much as he is. E isn't the right man for the franchise and I don't blame the studio for reconsidering their plans for this sinking ship of an iconic franchise

I tend to bristle at people's insistence that Blomkamp would be guaranteed to do a "fresh" take on Alien compared to what Scott did, especially if the complaints against Scott are "trying too hard to recreate the original" and "over-reliance on special effects". I could make the case that the reason Covenant bears similarities to the original is a compromise for all the people who complained about Prometheus not being enough of an Alien film, so it's a real damned-if-you-do kind of situation. As for Blomkamp, District 9 is an Alien Nation riff with a blunt apartheid allegory and an even greater dependence on special effects than your average Alien film - and that's still leagues better than the diminishing returns of either Elysium or Chappie. The fact that so much of the conversation surrounding a potential Blomkamp entry revolves around Aliens (such as the set-up being a direct sequel to Aliens that would disregard the unpopular entries in the franchise) seems a little hypocritical, too. That would be like The Force Awakens trying to overcompensate for divided responses to the prequels by trying to make the most deliberately appealing film possible and being derided as a hollow knock-off - again, damned if you do. Like I said, I'd rather that the series kept getting weird rather than try too hard to please an unpleasable fanbase, but of course that's not going to make the big bucks. And people wonder why big movies don't take risks.

Also, this is a better use of Scott's talents than the stodgy period dramas that make up at least half of his filmography.

Blomkamp is a hack.
One hit wonder with District 9...

... and he has a weird fascination with body-dysmorphia. Even his concept art for Alien was based solely on disfiguration of the human body.

I still think that I need to check out these shorts he's been putting online before I pass too much more judgment on him, but yeah, I'm afraid to revisit District 9 for fear of it not holding up. The one-director-per-film concept is a cool one in theory, but it's always a gamble.