Live Action Musical Movie Hall of Fame

Tools    

My only choice would've been Singin' In The Rain i think. Or Wizard of Oz that isn't even a major favourite of mine. I've struggled with the majority of live-action musicals i've seen. Which is why i was closer to joining Vamp's one.

West Side Story. I wondered if anyone would nominate it. Then I was hoping nobody would. And then I didn't think anybody would. But there it is. Why was I hoping it wouldn't be? Because I didn't want to have to have something fight against my own nomination in my mind. I just love mine - 1776 - so much. And I just love West Side Story so much. And I just wanted to automatically like mine the best in case nobody else liked it (besides gbgoodies ). Nobody should ever have to be put in the this situation.
That's how I felt having Blade Runner go up against my own nom, East of Eden. And guess who nominated Blade Runner...Thursday Next! I love West Side Story too, so this is going to be an interesting Hof!

I seriously considered Into the Woods. And then I thought I would go for something a little less known. I like seeing it here, though.
I've never seen it, so I'm happy it's here.

I auditioned for The Pajama Game. Got a part, too. But if it wasn't some sort of theatrical cliche. I re-injured and old ankle injury. I couldn't be in it.
That's really neat that you auditioned (too bad about the ankle. What part would you have done?

I won't comment anymore than that. I will save it for reviews.
Nah, the more comments the better

The best part about this HoF is that I can analyze and babble on and on about these and nobody can stop me!

I considered joining this HoF, but since I don't typically like musicals, I didn't want to end up disliking all the nominations and not having anything nice to say. Also the only thing I could think of to nominate was Rocky Horror. Seeing the other nominations now, it really would've stuck out haha.

You could of nominated that. I know GBG don't like it I'm not a fan of it either, but a lot of people are, so who knows you might have won.

Up until now I've watched musical films only sporadically and a priori rejecting them. I see this as a good opportunity to have a system in my watching movies. I sure will be participating in more HOFs but not at once. Good job Citizen and all others that helped this to happened!

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
That's how I felt having Blade Runner go up against my own nom, East of Eden. And guess who nominated Blade Runner...Thursday Next! I love West Side Story too, so this is going to be an interesting Hof!
Well, then! Apparently Thursday Next is nothing but an instigator.

I've never seen it, so I'm happy it's here.
I thought you did see Into the Woods. I must be thinking of that other Stephen Sondheim musical - Sweeney Todd.

What part would you have done?
I had something that I said (don't remember what it was - wasn't a part of it long enough to remember it - I hurt the ankle during the early rehearsals ). But it was more the chorus, which was fine because I only wanted to be in the chorus (that was my goal) as The Pajama Game is the sort where I would much prefer the chorus. It is fun music for the chorus parts. All the singing and the dancing.

There is a production of 1776 this year. I would LOVE to be in that. But with the way life is for me right now, I don't know that I could obligate myself to any show. I probably wouldn't get either role that there is for a woman anyway.

Anyway, I didn't say before, but I own 4 of these movies:
West Side Story
Swing Time
Meet Me In St. Louis

As soon as I get some of the movies in for the Musical Artist HoF, I will request those other films that I don't have.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
So this is how much I've watched musicals: I've never heard of any of these, except for Into the Woods(which is fairly new), West side story(which is a classic) and my own nomination(which I'm totally nostalgic over and love), so this will be a perfect opportunity to broaden my horizon so to speak. I've also never seen any of these I might add (save for my nom of course), so the broadening will be expansive. I can't wait to get into this, though sadly I can't start now due to having to get up early tomorrow for work. This weekend though, it will be non-stop musicals, music related movies (no, I haven't forgotten about your HoF Vamp) and old horror movies (previous ongoing HoF).

Also, it seems that the start of this HoF just so happens to fall at the same time as a little milestone for me: This is my 1000th post since I joined the forum. I take this as a sign that this will be a very fun HoF filled with good movies (and since it is linked with this one, I deem that so is also the case with Vamp's HoF)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I thought about picking a modern musical, like Dancer in the Dark or Hedwig and the Angry Inch, because I was concerned they might be under-represented. Or making everybody watch Repo! The Genetic Opera . But much as I love all of those, the hall of fame really has to be the best of the best so I’m going with West Side Story.

As a film I probably prefer Cabaret, but as a musical I prefer West Side Story. I know this is a movieforum and we’re voting on more than the soundtrack, but I figured the songs would count more here than in a regular hall of fame (where people might be voting despite the songs, rather than because of them). Plus, I already nominated Cabaret in a previous HoF.

West Side Story has some great, memorable songs including Jet Song, America and Tonight, a classic storyline delivered in a new way and is just overall a great movie. I'm looking forward to rewatching it.

I have seen half of these nominations, although some not for a long time:

West Side Story
Meet Me in St. Louis
Swing Time
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

+ half of Into the Woods

Not seen:

1776 (not even heard of it but I am intrigued already)
Pajama Game (also never heard of it)
The Young Girls of Rochefort (which I have had on my watchlist for a while but not got round to)
Godspell

The only one I have watched other than mine is Swing Time, I knew there would be some Astaire and Rogers on here. It's going to be an interesting discussion when in talks about THAT scene. All I'll say is good lord, it's dated.

I've seen a little bit of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and I'm excited to watch the rest of it. Meet Me In St. Louis, and West Side Story are both classic I've been wanting to get to for years, so I'm thrilled to see them on here. I've heard of 1776, but I don't know much about it. I don't even think I've heard of The Pajama Game, or Godspell. The one I'm most excited about is Les Demoiselles de Rochefort, as Demy has been getting a lot of talk lately with all of the La La Land comparisons, and I haven't watched a single one of his movies.

Hope everyone likes my pick. As I said to Citizen, it's such a polarized movie, so I know it'll start a good discussion.

This weekend though, it will be non-stop musicals, music related movies (no, I haven't forgotten about your HoF Vamp) and old horror movies (previous ongoing HoF).
We will have a pretty big space to watch these. So when I can figure out the deadline, and if my estimate is correct right now, you will have MORE than enough time to finish both. There will be no worries there.

I'm an idiot, though. I knew what the nominations were for mine. So I should've requested them from the library as they were PM'd to me. Instead I put it off until yesterday to do it. Now I have to wait for them. Which means I won't be able to request what I need for this HoF for awhile. I always request the Best Picture nominees when I can every year. As I've requested those, and I have a limit of only 15 requests, they've been filled. And as I am, for example, #256 out of 455 requests of "Manchester By the Sea", I don't want to lose my spot. So I just have to wait until the films come in, and as soon as I pick them up, immediately request what I need for this one.

As for my nomination, 1776, it is a semi-history lesson. My family doesn't really have much in common. But if there is ONE thing that we all like, that is 1776. Seriously. From my father, mother, brothers to their kids. For sure my one sister-in-law likes it, too. I don't know how others will feel about it, too, but I really enjoy it. It is humorous but it is also kind of heavy in some of the dramatic parts. I think enough have heard of this one. I just don't think that many have seen it. I was really curious to see what others think of it. And I figured this would be the one and only time it would ever get nominated in a HoF. I had to take advantage of the moment.

I see @Gideon58 just joined.

And I noticed Gideon nominated one that I was REALLY tempted to nominate.

....Also, it seems that the start of this HoF just so happens to fall at the same time as a little milestone for me: This is my 1000th post since I joined the forum. I take this as a sign that this will be a very fun HoF filled with good movies (and since it is linked with this one, I deem that so is also the case with Vamp's HoF)
Your 1000th post, we are honored!

... Plus, I already nominated Cabaret in a previous HoF.
Which Hof? I don't remember that being in one. Love Cabaret BTW.

I see @Gideon58 just joined.

And I noticed Gideon nominated one that I was REALLY tempted to nominate.
Yes he did! And I'm glad to have Gideon here

So there's one more movie in this Hof, Mary Poppins (1964). A good one too!

Deadline stuff....we have 10 movies to watch so it's good to start watching right away. The deadline to watch all the movies is 3 months from today by June 1st....How does that sound to everyone?

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Sounds good to me. And Hey, Gideon! Welcome to the HoF! Mary Poppins was one I considered before going with my nom, it's awesome. So now I guess there are two noms I've watched previously.

Yes he did! And I'm glad to have Gideon here

So there's one more movie in this Hof, Mary Poppins (1964). A good one too!

Deadline stuff....we have 10 movies to watch so it's good to start watching right away. The deadline to watch all the movies is 3 months from today by June 1st....How does that sound to everyone?
I just sent you a PM asking how long we had to watch the movies we haven't watched...I guess I should have just checked the thread, sorry.

The only 2 I have seen are my nomination (The young girl of Rochefort) and West Side Story which are both amazing.

Looking forward the other 8!

Mary Poppins is my favorite musical film of all time, so I'm glad to have it on the list.
You must be new to the site, because most folks around here know that Mary Poppins is my favorite movie of all time, period!

Sounds good to me. And Hey, Gideon! Welcome to the HoF! Mary Poppins was one I considered before going with my nom, it's awesome. So now I guess there are two noms I've watched previously.
I have two nominations that I've never seen as well...and I may re-watch a couple just for the hell of it, because I haven't seen them in a while.

As for my nomination, 1776, it is a semi-history lesson. My family doesn't really have much in common. But if there is ONE thing that we all like, that is 1776. Seriously. From my father, mother, brothers to their kids. For sure my one sister-in-law likes it, too. I don't know how others will feel about it, too, but I really enjoy it. It is humorous but it is also kind of heavy in some of the dramatic parts. I think enough have heard of this one. I just don't think that many have seen it. I was really curious to see what others think of it. And I figured this would be the one and only time it would ever get nominated in a HoF. I had to take advantage of the moment.
You're so lucky to have family members who like 1776...I can't think of one movie that my entire immediate family all like. And if there was such a movie, I know it would NEVER be a musical...my family thinks there is something seriously wrong with me and my love for musicals...my parents could never understand why most of their friends' kids were listening to the Stones, the Beatles, and Elton John and their kid was listening to West Side Story, Bye Bye Birdie, and Gypsy.

...my parents could never understand why most of their friends' kids were listening to the Stones, the Beatles, and Elton John and their kid was listening to West Side Story, Bye Bye Birdie, and Gypsy.
That is confusing.... I mean, if you liked showtunes, surely you should also be into Elton John, like the other kids.