Interesting Film Priest Characters - My List

Tools    

Hi all,
let me share with you this my list of films with interesting, encouraging, funny and sometimes repulsive priest characters. I saw all these films in a period of 10 years among plenty of others. I’ve searched thru the Forum and was inspired by all of you making your lists, countdowns. I’m sure there is plenty of other films with a priest character, however my list contains only 21 of them. It is not a lot but that’s all I remember plus I don’t like even numbers. I’ll be posting them in order of my personal ratings. Of course you are free to comment. Thank you.

21. Padre Manolo by Daniel Giménez Cacho, La mala educación (2004) by Pedro Almodóvar

Padre Manolo, difficult character, principal and teacher in Franco-era Spain, involved in an inappropriate conduct.

20. Padre Amaro by Gael García Bernal, El crimen del Padre Amaro (2002) by Carlos Carrera

Padre Amaro, young and new to parish, falls in love with a local beauty, only to discover the corruption of local priests in a small Mexican town.

18. Rev. Graham Hess by Mel Gibson, Signs (2002) by M. Night Shyamalan

Rev. Graham Hess, a pastor and widower who lost his faith and strange things start to happen around his farm.

17. Father Des Spellacy by Robert De Niro, True Confessions (1981) by Ulu Grosbard

Father Des Spellacy, monsignor, who’s got a corrupted relationship with his brother, the homicide detective.

16. Father Brendan Flynn by Philip Seymour Hoffman, Doubt (2008) by John Patrick Shanley

Father Brendan Flynn keeps questionable relationship with a troubled student and fights the school principal's implications.

19. Father Brennan by Patrick Troughton, The Omen (1976) by Richard Donner
Nice to see Patrick get a mention .

It was a belter. I love Troughton's story about Gregory Peck, that he'd seen Peck one day with his script and certain parts had been annotated with "NAR". When he asked him what it meant, Peck said "No acting required" .

I have some favourite priest characters but I'll wait until you've finished your list out of respect to the work you've put into it
Yeah, I'll think about it as well.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

The High Priest of Debauchery and Deflowering from School of the Holy Beast.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The High Priest of Debauchery and Deflowering from School of the Holy Beast.
LOL, now that you mentioned it, I saw some similar Nunsploitation film long ago, cant remember the name.

14. Father Moore by Tom Wilkinson, The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) by Scott Derrickson

Father Moore performed an exorcism on a young girl. The girl dies and Moore is subsequently sued. Based on Anneliese Michel’s story.

13. Cardinal Altamirano by Ray McAnally, The Mission (1986) by Roland Joffé

Cardinal Altamirano, a Bishop, who comes to visit a mission in South America and under the political pressure, to decide whether or not to shut down the Jesuit built mission.

12. Cardinal Glick by George Carlin, Dogma (1999) by Kevin Smith

Cardinal Glick, peculiar and funny character, trying to revitalise the Catholic Church with a Buddy Christ