Film Noir HoF - Part 2

Tools    

Yeah, I just saw it a couple years ago and liked it quite a bit. It is plot heavy though, with a capital P. I couldn't tell you a thing about it. Think I will order the Blu-ray.
Ha, I know what you mean. We shouldn't feel bad, Orson Welles said he like The Big Sleep but didn't understand what it was about. So that's the reason he gave for then making Touch of Evil, it's his plot heavy, twisty, hard to figure movie. I love them both.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Happy to have you GBG! Tuesday or Wednesday is fine. I didn't make a firm deadline yet, usually in HoFs there's a week to get movie nominations in...so if someone wants to join in say the next week, that's cool...

Thanks. I'll let you know either Tuesday or Wednesday if I'll be able to join, as soon as I find out what's happening here with the gas and power issues.

Just to let you know, if I'm able to join, my nomination will be The Big Clock (1948).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040160/reference

Thanks. I'll let you know either Tuesday or Wednesday if I'll be able to join, as soon as I find out what's happening here with the gas and power issues.

Just to let you know, if I'm able to join, my nomination will be The Big Clock (1948).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040160/reference
You'll be able to join, I'm being positive...The Big Clock (1948)...I'm not sure but I don't think I've seen that one. I've heard of it, sounds good too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the gas guys to do the job fast and right! I'm out of here, off to watch a non noir

You'll be able to join, I'm being positive...The Big Clock (1948)...I'm not sure but I don't think I've seen that one. I've heard of it, sounds good too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the gas guys to do the job fast and right! I'm out of here, off to watch a non noir

I saw it recently for the first time, and I thought it was great. The movie No Way Out (1987) with Kevin Costner is a remake of this movie, but the original is much better, (and I like the remake.)

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Yeah VCRs are still a handy thing to have. I had one for years then it broke so I had to buy a used one off ebay as I couldn't find one in a local store. I don't use it much but there's times when it does come in handy.
They do come in handy! Nobody listens to me, but they do! I have been considering looking for a used one. I don't know when, though. The cable company is making everyone who has a VCR plugged straight into the cable box get this digital adapter (which, of course, costs more money a month ). If I can get a brand new one, maybe I will do that only because there is that chance that I won't need that stupid adapter and spend that extra money to watch TV. Ridiculous.

Just to let you know, if I'm able to join, my nomination will be The Big Clock (1948)
I looked it up to make sure I can get it, and I can. There is only ONE copy in the ENTIRE city. And guess what? Someone has checked it out. It is due on the 5th. So I am hoping they will return it! When I saw that it was checked out, this was a time where I thought "Why would somebody check that out?!". And then I have to tell myself "I wanted to check it out. So why wouldn't somebody else". I always get irritated when someone checks out the "rarities" when I want them.

They do come in handy! Nobody listens to me, but they do! I have been considering looking for a used one. I don't know when, though. The cable company is making everyone who has a VCR plugged straight into the cable box get this digital adapter (which, of course, costs more money a month ). If I can get a brand new one, maybe I will do that only because there is that chance that I won't need that stupid adapter and spend that extra money to watch TV. Ridiculous.
I still have several working VCRs just so I can watch my old video tapes, but my cable company also charges extra every month if I want to actually use them to watch TV through them. I only use them for watching tapes now because I don't want to give the cable company any more money than I have to. Their prices are high enough already.

I looked it up to make sure I can get it, and I can. There is only ONE copy in the ENTIRE city. And guess what? Someone has checked it out. It is due on the 5th. So I am hoping they will return it! When I saw that it was checked out, this was a time where I thought "Why would somebody check that out?!". And then I have to tell myself "I wanted to check it out. So why wouldn't somebody else". I always get irritated when someone checks out the "rarities" when I want them.
I'm glad to hear that you were able to find The Big Clock (1948). I watched it on cable recently, and I saved it to a DV-R, so I'm not sure how hard it will be to find. Hopefully it will be easily accessible for everyone. (If it turns out to be a hard to find movie, I guess I'll have to pick a different movie.)

A lot of these films are avaliable in Hulu Plus. I'll probably sign up for a trial again with my dad's email or something

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I still have several working VCRs just so I can watch my old video tapes, but my cable company also charges extra every month if I want to actually use them to watch TV through them. I only use them for watching tapes now because I don't want to give the cable company any more money than I have to. Their prices are high enough already.
So you have those sort of boxes now, too? It is ridiculous, isn't it? Well, if I can still just watch the tapes, then I suppose I should look into a decent used one. I was wondering about recording from TV. I was thinking that I suppose I don't need to do that anymore. But if I can just watch a movie without needing one of those, then I will have to look into another VCR.

So you have those sort of boxes now, too? It is ridiculous, isn't it? Well, if I can still just watch the tapes, then I suppose I should look into a decent used one. I was wondering about recording from TV. I was thinking that I suppose I don't need to do that anymore. But if I can just watch a movie without needing one of those, then I will have to look into another VCR.
You don't need to use the input of the VCR to just watch tapes, but until you press "PLAY" and the video actually starts, you'll only see static on the screen.

Years ago, my cable company changed the signal so that I could still record with the VCR, but the channels were all screwed up. For example, if I wanted to record channel 7 (ABC), I had to set the VCR for channel 24 because that's the channel that they switched it to, and channel 2 (CBS) was on channel 32. etc. (I kept a chart with the channel lineup and where to find them on the VCR.)

But a few years ago, they changed it, and now I can't watch any channels through the VCR unless I pay them an extra fee every month. So instead of paying for that, we upgraded our cable box to a DVR, and I linked the DVD-R to the DVR so I can just record anything that I want to save onto a DVD-R disc.

This is the longest conversation about VCRs to happen since the VCR was invented. I still have one in my closet and I keep thinking, " I need to get rid of that". Haven't owned a tape to put in it in fifteen years.

This is the longest conversation about VCRs to happen since the VCR was invented. I still have one in my closet and I keep thinking, " I need to get rid of that". Haven't owned a tape to put in it in fifteen years.

Hmm, you have a VCR in your closet that you "need to get rid of", and SilentVamp needs a VCR to watch her tapes, but she doesn't have one. If you think really hard, you might be able to come up with a solution to both problems.

Hmm, you have a VCR in your closet that you "need to get rid of", and SilentVamp needs a VCR to watch her tapes, but she doesn't have one. If you think really hard, you might be able to come up with a solution to both problems.
Your going to make me go to the post office aren't you. It's like I have time traveled to 1995.

Your going to make me go to the post office aren't you. It's like I have time traveled to 1995.

I'm not going to make you do anything. It's your VCR, and yours and SilentVamp's problems, so you two can work it out amongst yourselves. I just put the seed of the thought into your head.

Goodwill, that's a good place to find cheap used VCRs. And I believe they have a return policy if it doesn't work. Either that or a second hand thrift shop. I don't think they sill new VCRs do they?

Goodwill, that's a good place to find cheap used VCRs. And I believe they have a return policy if it doesn't work. Either that or a second hand thrift shop. I don't think they sill new VCRs do they?

I think there are still some VCR/DVD-R combos available for people who want to convert their old videotapes onto discs. I bought one about two years ago from Best Buy, but they had to special order it for me.

Did it work for you? What was the quality like? I have a DVD Recorder that can record stuff off TV and onto a DVD, but the quality was so crappy that I didn't think it was worth it. Now it sets in the back room taking up space.

Did it work for you? What was the quality like? I have a DVD recording that can record stuff of tv onto a DVD, but the quality was so crappy that I didn't think it was worth it. Now it sets in the back room taking up space.

I mostly use it to convert my old video tapes of stuff that I recorded off TV many years ago to DVD-R, so it's hard to say because the original is pretty bad anyway just because they're so old. But I figured it's better to have that stuff in bad quality than to not have it at all.

But if you start with a good quality original, you should get a good quality DVD-R copy.