Latitudes

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I know you loved Cocoon that's why I mentioned it, it's a good comparison too. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel is not a bad movie and I didn't hate it, just didn't care. It reminded me of an Indie film The 100 Foot Journey (2014) which I reviewed and really liked. In that film a large Indian family moves to France and takes over an old crumbly restaurant. I think you would like that one.

I just looked up both movies on IMDB, and they both have the same rating, (7.3). I'll have to look for The 100 Foot Journey.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
That is too bad about "Serena". I thought it looked interesting. Oh, well. I am not one that goes ga-ga over Jennifer Lawrence, and if she is practically the entire movie, I don't know if I care to sit through it.

I am one of those rare people that didn't care for "Silver Linings Playbook". It was OK, but I thought it was very overrated. But don't listen to my opinion as there are more that would be "for" you watching the film rather than "against" it.

I JUST watched "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" Wednesday night (after The Civil War, of course! ).
I thought I'd love this. I mean this is the type of movie I usually enjoy.
That is how I felt when I would see commercials for it. But it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It is a fine film (I think your rating of 3 out of 5 is dead on), but I don't see how this became the big hit that it did. I thought it was really going to be some sort of "feel good" film, and it really was nothing special.

Having said that, yes, I did request the sequel from the library. I might as well watch that one, too! More than anything else, I am curious to see how they made a sequel out of it when everything that needed to be done with the characters happened. So, I am almost more interested in seeing the second one than the first one.

Having said that, yes, I did request the sequel from the library... More than anything else, I am curious to see how they made a sequel out of it when everything that needed to be done with the characters happened. So, I am almost more interested in seeing the second one than the first one.
Me too...and so last night I watched The Best Second Exotic Marigold Hotel....I'm in a quandary over doing a review now? Or latter?

Me too...and so last night I watched The Best Second Exotic Marigold Hotel....I'm in a quandary over doing a review now? Or latter?
Well, the copy I have is sitting at the library right now, but I won't get a chance to pick it up until later next week. But if you want to write the review, go ahead. I will just avoid this until after I have seen it.

Tell me this much. Was it better or not (or about the same) as the first one?

I liked it much better than the first one. So if you don't mind I will write a mini review here and if you do read it I promise not to reveal any of the plot surprises. I will be very brief and nothing about the story itself.

I liked it much better than the first one. So if you don't mind I will write a mini review here and if you do read it I promise not to reveal any of the plot surprises. I will be very brief and nothing about the story itself.
Go ahead. I don't mind. I will just avoid this for a few days. I am getting it this week, which means I will watch it this week. So, I won't be avoiding it for too long. But go ahead! It is your thread, anyway.

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2015)
Director: John Madden
Stars: Dav Patel, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy,
Genre: Comedy, Drama
Length: 122 minutes

The ever optimistic Sonny (Dev Patel) who's the owner of the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel seeks to expand his dreams and searches for a second hotel to buy. This takes all of his time and he neglects his elaborate wedding plans to his fiance Sunaina (Tina Desai), which puts him at odds with her. His mother doesn't approve of his modern girlfriend either. Meanwhile his efforts to acquire another hotel to fix up and lease is being stalled by the ex boyfriend of his fiance.

Guy (Richard Gere) is a new face at the hotel. He plays a mystery man and if you like Richard Gere, will then watch that movie.

I liked this much better that the first one. It's like the producer listened to my other review and improved the sequel with all my suggestions!

I had wanted to see more of Sonny the Indian young man who owns the hotel and more of his mother and girlfriend...and I got it! I had wanted to see less of the older British people...I got that too. And I got to see a lot, lot more of India.

This film really is eye candy for anyone who's interested in India and much of it is filmed there. The film looks great and by that I mean the cinematography has a much more artistic feel to it. Finally the story was more interested too.

An enthusiastic

World War Z (2013)
Director: Marc Forster
Stars: Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci Fi Horror
Length:116 minutes

Brad Pitt is Gerry Lane a former U.N. special ops personal who's called back to duty in a frantic race against time to find the cause of the 'Zombie' pandemic caused by an unknown pathogen.

Zombies! not my kind of movie!...But I liked it anyway

I noticed the title of this thread before but just figured it was something weird that I wouldn't understand. I'll have to go through it tomorrow.

Blonde Ice (1948)
Director: Jack Bernhard
Stars: Robert Paige, Leslie Brooks, Russ Vincent
Genre: Crime, Drama, Film-Noir
Length: 73 minutes

A social climbing woman, manipulates the men around her to further herself. She marries several wealthy men who all die under mysterious circumstances. Now she's about to marry another.

This might be an old film but the subject matter is relevant today. How many times have we heard of someone who's a social climber who will use people at all cost to further their means? This film explores that phenomenon with deadly results.

This is a little known film noir, made by Martin Mooney Productions, not by a big studio. Yet for all of it's obscurity it's worth seeking out. For two reasons: one is Leslie Brooks.

Pretty women are a dime a dozen in Hollywood but Leslie Brooks is so much more than a pretty face. She plays a woman accused of being a cold blooded social path murder. And she does her role so believable. She's cold and yet charming, manipulating and cunning. In other words a first rate femme fatale. I'm surprised that she is virtually unknown today.

The other reason to watch this is it's a different type of noir. The music score and the way the story is told seems more like a film from the late 1930s.

Director Jack Bernhard (known for the film noir, Decoy) is not a name that most recognize but he does a really fine job here balancing 30s style drama with 50s style film noir.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blonde Ice.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	24108  

I noticed the title of this thread before but just figured it was something weird that I wouldn't understand. I'll have to go through it tomorrow.
View it with an open mind and a positive Latitude!

I thought you posted here before? Anyway good to see ya, and this is just mini reviews and ramblings.

The Bad Sister (1931)
Director: Hobart Henley
Stars: Conrad Nagel, Sidney Fox, Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Zasu Pits
Genre: Drama
Length: 68 minutes
Studio: Universal

I'm starting on watching all of Bette Davis' films. I've seen many of them but never this one which is her film debut.

Nice film, if you like oldies.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad_Sister_poster.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	22671  

You guys talked me into watching Jersey Boys, so I wanted to let you know that I watched it. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as I had hoped. It felt more like a standard biopic than like a musical, and it had some problems that bothered me. The worst for me was the way they changed the meaning of the song "My Eyes Adored You". That's always been one of my favorite songs, and they almost ruined it for me by making it about his daughter.

This is what I wrote about it in my logbook.

Cricket: hang in there I'm bound to have some movies you like (but not the next 2 that I post)

GBG: I seen your Logbook thread late last night but didn't have time to post. I thought the same thing when he sang "My Eyes Adored You" to his daughter. I know it was done for a touching moment but it seemed kind of creepy to be singing a romantic song to his daughter....So what did you think of the other stuff we complained about?

GBG: I seen your Logbook thread late last night but didn't have time to post. I thought the same thing when he sang "My Eyes Adored You" to his daughter. I know it was done for a touching moment but it seemed kind of creepy to be singing a romantic song to his daughter....So what did you think of the other stuff we complained about?

I don't remember all the specific complaints, but the movie just didn't work on a few different levels. It might have worked if I didn't know that it was based on a Broadway musical, because it would have just been another biography, and I wouldn't have had certain expectations.

I just don't think that his life was all that interesting. It's kind of cool that Joe Pesci had a part in his career, but it wasn't enough to make an interesting movie about him. His life was kind of depressing when you really think about it.

I also didn't care much for the voice of the guy who played Frankie Valli. He doesn't have a bad voice, but it just sounded wrong.