Documentaries...the next Countdown List?

Tools    

The Documentary List?
59.65%
34 votes
Yes, I plan on joining.
17.54%
10 votes
No, I do not want to join.
22.81%
13 votes
I'm not sure.
57 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Discuss here:

Documentaries seems to be the forerunner for the next Top Countdown list, but how much interest is there in docs?

Is there enough interest to make a successful Documentaries Top 100 Countdown?

Should it be a Top 50 Countdown with partial nomination list acceptable?

Thoughts? Ideas?...Post them...

Woody Allen is a pedophille
The big argument is whether the list should have 100 entries, and I agree with what donniedarko said -
I don't think the amount of films on the docs list should be set in stone. If we get 70 full lists with 400 films ya 100 makes sense. But if we get 50 list and with only 35 full ones with 180 documentaries total, than it should be 50. The fact is even with film avaliabllity the amount of documentaries that will interest a person is much more limited than the amount of films from a decade.
The amount of movie listed should be dependent on the amount of movies nominated

What Donnie said made sense, let the amount of interest in the voting list be a guide as to how the Countdown is run.

Destiny actually said the same idea first, I'd like to give her credit:
To make sure it will work out as a top 100, first get a so/so list together, of the members that plan on joining. After that, you all should be able to decide whether or not it should be a top 50, or a top 100.

I think at this point the bigger questions are what should and should count like Vamps question. Pretty sure everyone agrees with Donnie and there's no way to know how many will be nominated until the deadline.

I just have two questions.

1. Would television documentaries be allowed in the countdown? After all, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" did get some votes and that wasn't a theatrical release (yes, I am a little irritated that I know this fact and that I didn't list "Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer" in my 60's countdown ).

2. If there are plans to do a complete list of the overall best movies of all-time, wouldn't you want to do that after there were lists representing the best movies from the decades that are before the 1950's as well? I don't see how an overall list could be made unless every decade has been given their own individual lists. I am basing this question on some of the posts (I saw nothing mentioned for anything before the 1950's - unless I missed it somewhere).
1st question...Depends on the person who runs the countdown, they will be the boss and decide. But it's good for us to input our thoughts, so thoughts???

2nd question...We should eventually do a 1950's list, 1940's list, 1930's list and a 1920s to 1890s (the silent era) list. Then we should do an Overall Best Movies Top 100 Countdown.

My question should The Up series be counted as one? Or should we nominate the individual ones, like 14 up, etc? If it is the latter I have no idea which ones I like most.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Each movie is different, so you'll probably have to bite the bullet, but personally, I don't care if it gets counted as one.

As far as TV docs, what are we talking about? Cable TV (HBO, Showtime) initially shows two or three of the best docs each year. Those, of course, would be allowed.

Each movie is different, so you'll probably have to bite the bullet, but personally, I don't care if it gets counted as one.
If it does I'll probably just pick one to represent the series. Not really that bothered. Hopefully some people here check it out, great series.

My personal choice would be UP series would count as 1, otherwise if each individual one was counted separately it wouldn't stand much of a chance of doing well.

When I think of TV docs I think of say Blue Planet.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Histoire(s) du cinéma has to be counted as one. It's an experimental found footage essay film, though.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My personal choice would be UP series would count as 1, otherwise if each individual one was counted separately it wouldn't stand much of a chance of doing well.

When I think of TV docs I think of say Blue Planet.
It is also just an ongoing examination of their lives. If they had got a new group I think there'd be a bigger problem with counting it as one.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
So, with the Up series in mind, what about something that would be considered a mini-series documentary (i.e. Ken Burns' "The War")? Would that be considered as one?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Totally unrelated but is everyone OK with me starting up the 50s thread late December? Then six months to watch with a start time of late June/early July.

So, with the Up series in mind, what about something that would be considered a mini-series documentary (i.e. Ken Burns' "The War")? Would that be considered as one?
I was going to bring Ken Burns up. Been watching his Civil War and every episode is like a movie. Still think they should count as one though.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I was going to bring Ken Burns up. Been watching his Civil War and every episode is like a movie. Still think they should count as one though.
So do I.

And, truthfully, The Civil War is the reason I asked if TV docs would be included in the first place.

Totally unrelated but is everyone OK with me starting up the 50s thread late December? Then six months to watch with a start time of late June/early July.
Sounds good to me.

Raul how much would the timeline for the 1950s countdown coincide with the Docs countdown?...One thought is that MoFo has more activity after summer is over (I think), perhaps the countdowns should be done after the summer months? (just a thought, I'm obviously here in the summer , so summers good too)

I'd say Burn's Civil War counts as one, otherwise not much chance of an individual installment making the countdown.

Without TV docs, like Burn's Civil War being allowed, the amount of interest in the countdown would go down. So I think TV docs are a good idea. I personally like documentaries, but I don't know how excited all MoFos are about them?