All about the upcoming Live Action Musical Hall of Fame

Tools    

This thread is about discussing the upcoming, Musical Hall of Fame.

It's been a long time in the planning and I'm excited to host it! The same general HOF rules will apply. So lets discuss what is and isn't a musical:

I like to keep this to actual musical, theatrical release movies, live action. Yes there's lots of Disney animations that have songs in them but that goes off into another tangent. Soon there will be an animation Hof and those can go in there.

So what's a musical?

A musical has the characters in the movie actually singing several or more songs, and as part of the movies story, not just singing a song on stage (like a band or performer).

A song played in the background, like American Graffiti would not be a musical. Movies like:A Hard Day's Night, Purple Rain, The Wall, This is Spinal Tap, would not be eligible.

I'm going to pass on this one because I just don't like most of the classic musicals. I did consider it, and this would've been my nomination-

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm going to pass on this one because I just don't like most of the classic musicals. I did consider it, and this would've been my nomination-

It's a shame that you don't want to join. I think I would have enjoyed watching Bugsy Malone again.

This thread is about discussing the upcoming, Musical Hall of Fame.

So what's a musical?

A musical has the actors in the movie actually singing several or more songs, and as part of the movies story.

Bugsy Malone made me realize that I think the wording in this rule should be changed. The characters in the movie have to actually sing, not the actors. Many musicals use dubbed songs.

I'll participate, I've not seen many musicals, but I do like them.

I like to see how many people are interested before I announce deadlines for nominations. I'm flexible with that, so I will let this thread run a little while before making the actual thread.

I like to see how many people are interested before I announce deadlines for nominations. I'm flexible with that, so I will let this thread run a little while before making the actual thread.

That's good because I haven't even narrowed it down to my short list yet. I love so many musicals that I have no idea what to nominate.

I won't rush it. MoFo seems a bit slow at this time of the year so I want to give people a chance to see this thread.

I think the timing for this is good as both the sci-fi and slasher hofs are over and the documentary won't start for a couple months.

I haven't any though about what musical I would choose???

The only thing that I already decided is that I don't want to nominate Singin' in the Rain because most people have already seen it. I'd like to choose something that's a little less obvious.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
You can count me in. I have to think about what I would nominate, too. I have a couple of ideas in my head. I will have to make a list and then narrow it down to what I think would be best.

I like that idea. I hope we get a bunch of unique musicals. I'm also fine watching some long time favorites.

If anyone needs some ideas, just breeze over to Gideon's My Favorite Movie Dance Numbers & Choreography thread.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=41443

Hi! SilentVamp, I don't believe we've talked before. Cool avatar BTW, is that Vilma Banky?

Glad to have you in the Musical Hof I assume this is your first Hof? If so Welcome! If you have any questions just let me know.

I like that idea. I hope we get a bunch of unique musicals. I'm also fine watching some long time favorites.

If anyone needs some ideas, just breeze over to Gideon's My Favorite Movie Dance Numbers & Choreography thread.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=41443

Gideon also did a "My Favorite Musicals" thread a while back, and there are some great musicals in that thread too.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=40391

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
Hi! SilentVamp, I don't believe we've talked before. Cool avatar BTW, is that Vilma Banky?

Glad to have you in the Musical Hof I assume this is your first Hof? If so Welcome! If you have any questions just let me know.
Thanks. It is actually Lili Damita. I love to use this one of her because I think it just screams the perfect vamp of the silent screen.

And, yes, this is my first HoF. I think this is a good one to try out since musicals are a tiny bit of an obsession for me.

Gideon also did a "My Favorite Musicals" thread a while back, and there are some great musicals in that thread too.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=40391
I agree. If anyone has any trouble coming up with any, they should look elsewhere for ideas, too.

There are so many musicals that they are talking about filming that I kind of wish they were already made. They would make great choices for this discussion (i.e. "The Book of Mormon"). Especially when they could be combined with the classic musicals.

Master of My Domain
I'm with cricket, I did consider joining but I think one HoF at a time is just enough for me, and musicals don't interest me enough. But I'll surely be joining the animation Hall of Fame.

My nomination would have been my favorite musical of all time, tied with Singing in the Rain: