Sci-Fi HoF...Hall of Fame

Tools    

Are you going to list the movies you have so far, or wait? I'm curious what I got myself into, you see. I may need a heads up on finding movies I'm going to hate.

Something you newer members don't know about me is that I don't rent movies. I stopped renting movies around 1990. I only buy, and because of that, I'm not too sure I'm going to buy a bunch of movies that I fear I'll hate. I'm not trying to say that's what you all are nominating. I'm simply saying that "if" a few movies are nominated that I feel sure I won't like, I'd rather not buy them unless I can pay next to nothing for them. I need some time to get this sorted. So, the sooner you share that list, the sooner I can figure out how I'm going to view them.

Also, no, this is not me dropping out. I'll get it sorted out in time.

I feel I'm gonna have a hard time deciding haha... by the way, do we have some rules on what counts or not as sci-fi?
And I was thinking maybe the nominations should be posted as you get them, so we don't send in the same movie as someone else.

I feel I'm gonna have a hard time deciding haha... by the way, do we have some rules on what counts or not as sci-fi?
If it says sci-fi on the film's IMDb page, that's good enough for me.

I remember there was a discussion in the other thread about this, cause there's a really wide range of movies that are listed as sci-fi on IMDB... even Hunger Games and a lot of superhero movies. So that's why I was asking.

Are you going to list the movies you have so far, or wait? ...So, the sooner you share that list, the sooner I can figure out how I'm going to view them.
And I was thinking maybe the nominations should be posted as you get them, so we don't send in the same movie as someone else.
Destiny and Natasha, that's a very good point about finding the movies now. So I will post the movies that are nominated as they come in, so you guys can look for them. Hopefully that gets the ball rolling on this. If you have a problem finding them online, message me and I will help.

Let's make sure it has a good dose of sci-fi in the film. If in doubt just post what movies you're thinking about and we all can discuss them

I wasn't going to join this but considering I've seen all of those films except Guap's it shouldn't take up too much of my time. Will PM a nomination shortly.

Sane, I'm happy to have you in the Hof

Regarding not needing to watch the films that you've seen in the past, the general Hof guideline will apply here:

Everyone is required to watch all the movies. If a movie has been nominated that you have seen several times you may excuse yourself from watching that particular movie. The guideline I go by is; if you can clearly remember the details of the movie and have an in-depth conversation about it, then it's up to you whether or not to rewatch it.
http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=37943

So in a nut shell we need to watch all nominated films to be fair to everyone, unless we recently have seen the film or have seen it several times and know the film very well.

I'm going to update the very first post with any rules or guidelines as we have some new people in the Hof. Please ask questions if you have them.

Guaporense's entry is the only one I haven't seen (an obvious one), and Citizen's I watched very recently. The rest I'm really looking forward to revisit.

Me. It's no secret that I have always been positively predispossed towards you.
From this I see three possibilities.

1.SFS returns the deep, burning, desire I have for him

2.Me and Sean's lists were the first he came across.

3.Me and Sean are the cream of the crop here. If that's the case then we're all fvcked

A couple years ago I watched half of the first episode, but decided I didn't like it. I've reconsideredwatching it though. I think I am more open to itnow, and theanimation andcharacters are actually quite charming.
Gunbuster is the best direct to video movie of all time. Note: I did some research and there are apparently two versions of it, the original ca. 180 minutes long, 6 parts, original version and the 95 minutes heavily edited single file version, the original version is the correct one to watch.

See this review on Letterbox:
http://letterboxd.com/film/gunbuster/
Review by Sean ★★★★★

The original episodic series is an unparalleled masterpiece and one of the absolute greatest works of animation, ever. The film version, edited down to an hour and a half later on for the purposes of being shown back to back with a similarly compiled version of its follow-up, Diebuster (which I reviewed earlier), is... not quite that.

It hits all the important beats of the story by removing all the not-strictly necessary bits, which really ends up being cutting a proper and full and beautiful story to ribbons. I don't envy the editors who had this task, but I just wish it had been done in some other way.

I recommend (and am giving the rating for) the original more highly than I would almost anything, but unfortunately the film version is the only one readily available (on Hulu) as the DVDs are out-of-print. Tracking them down or renting them is worth it.

Here's the list of the nominations so far and in chronological order. I will post these as they come in on the 1st page on this thread. Right now we have

Sane, The Face of Another (1966)

Hit Girl, Planet of the Apes (1968)

Destiny, The Thing (1982)

The Sci-Fi Slob, Blade Runner (1982)

Lucas, Brazil (1985)

Guaporense, Gunbuster (1988)

Citizen Rules, Starship Troopers (1997)

BlueLion, A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001)

NatashaR, Snowpiercer (2013)
All the ones I watched before were great, the ones I haven't watched yet I have high expectations of.

I own five of the nine. Not too bad, so far. I'm not into anime, at all. My daughter loves it, and can draw like a pro. Since she was 14, actually. I'll share that later, in the appropriate thread. Anyway, I'll watch that one with her. I am just not into much of any animation. I had to grow up at the age of eleven. I like blaming it on that.

I checked out Amazon . . .

The Face of Another (1966) ~ That be expensive.
Planet of the Apes (1968) ~ Own.
The Thing (1982) ~ Own.
Blade Runner (1982) ~ Own.
Brazil (1985) ~ Can buy.
Gunbuster (1988) ~ I'm not digging the price of a movie I don't want to watch.
Starship Troopers (1997) ~ Own.
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) ~ Own.
Snowpiercer (2013) ~ Can buy.

I own five of the nine. Not too bad, so far. I'm not into anime, at all. My daughter loves it, and can draw like a pro. Since she was 14, actually. I'll share that later, in the appropriate thread. Anyway, I'll watch that one with her. I am just not into much of any animation. I had to grow up at the age of eleven. I like blaming it on that.

I checked out Amazon . . .

The Face of Another (1966) ~ That be expensive.
Planet of the Apes (1968) ~ Own.
The Thing (1982) ~ Own.
Blade Runner (1982) ~ Own.
Brazil (1985) ~ Can buy.
Gunbuster (1988) ~ I'm not digging the price of a movie I don't want to watch.
Starship Troopers (1997) ~ Own.
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) ~ Own.
Snowpiercer (2013) ~ Can buy.
Well, participating in a Hall of Fame also includes the responsibility of watching everything nominated. If you don't want to watch it, drop out.

Also, you already own/watched everything here except two "exotic" Japanese movies that you probably are not going to enjoy anyway. So why participate?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Gunbuster is the best direct to video movie of all time. Note: I did some research and there are apparently two versions of it, the original ca. 180 minutes long, 6 parts, original version and the 95 minutes heavily edited single file version, the original version is the correct one to watch.

See this review on Letterbox:
http://letterboxd.com/film/gunbuster/

I think the six episode version of Gunbuster is on YouTube.

If I'm right, this should be the first part, and you should be able to easily find the rest of it from there: