Should a woman replace Andrew Jackson on the U.S. $20 bill?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I think there are much more pressing issues than this - it's silly to consider costing money to make new money. They spent millions making the new $5 bill, as if there was an alternative, or people boycotting the way a bill looks like.

They spent millions making the new $5 bill, as if there was an alternative, or people boycotting the way a bill looks like.
The "alternative" is counterfeit money. They redesign bills to add in new security measures to make them harder to counterfeit.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Counterfeiting with the $5 bill? I would have thought the $100, $50, $20, or even the $10 being more likely for counterfeit, but I don't keep up with fiat news as much.

I'm sure they were much more likely to be counterfeited...right up until they introduced more sophisticated versions of them. At which point suddenly the risk/reward ratio changed and it became more profitable to counterfeit smaller bills, with a smaller chance of being caught, than larger ones with a higher chance.

I've heard of Rosa Parks, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Harriet Tubman. I probably heard of a few more but just forgot who they were.
Those are the 3 women that I've heard of too. There were many great women in our history, but most didn't have the same impact in creating our nation as did Andrew Jackson. That's mainly because women didn't have the vote or the same rights as men, way back when, so they didn't have as much chance to impact the nation.

Grant was one of our most corrupt presidents and he's on the 50, I think it's more important to look at how influential the person was, rather than their morals. Which while in our day disgusting, in his time perfectly acceptable
I agree with that. It's the importance of shaping the American nation. And with his Manifest Destiny, Jackson made America into the global power that we are today. Personally I don't like Andrew Jackson after seeing a documentary about him BUT he was very influential in building the country.

...My issue is just throwing a random woman on the bill, just so we can have a woman on a bill. The gender of who's on the bill should not matter. Unless we're just looking for a Quota Woman
Excellent post!

I think there are much more pressing issues than this - it's silly to consider costing money to make new money....
Also an excellent point. The Andrew Jackson $20 bill has already been brought up to security standards. I couldn't find a estimate on the cost of replacing the Jackson $20 bills but it would be in the many millions I'm sure.

My suggestion is, we did 50 different quarters for each state. So how about 50 more different quarters to honor women and others.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
He's one of your Ulster-sourced politicians (like John McCain, Useless Grant, Woodrow Wilson and Harry Truman in order of importance) so keep him on...

...Unless he's replaced by an Ulster-American woman, of course, and there's plenty of those: Dolly Parton, Kim Basinger, Debbie Reynolds, Christina Ricci etc. Take yer pick America!

If you're going to pick a female celebrity, shouldn't it be Meryl Streep?

I like Eleanor Roosevelt, she was a strong and influential First Lady.

My personal vote would be for Amelia Earhart (but I'd get rid of the hat, she looks like the Flying Nun)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like Eleanor Roosevelt, she was a strong and influential First Lady.

My personal vote would be for Amelia Earhart (but I'd get rid of the hat, she looks like the Flying Nun)

You're right. She does look like the Flying Nun with that hat.

The People's Republic of Clogher
If you're going to pick a female celebrity, shouldn't it be Meryl Streep?
Compared to Dolly, Kim, Debbie and old lightbulb head? Certainly not.

A Meryl Streep banknote would spend far too long pretending to be different currencies anyway.

Those are the 3 women that I've heard of too. There were many great women in our history, but most didn't have the same impact in creating our nation as did Andrew Jackson. That's mainly because women didn't have the vote or the same rights as men, way back when, so they didn't have as much chance to impact the nation.

I agree with that. It's the importance of shaping the American nation. And with his Manifest Destiny, Jackson made America into the global power that we are today. Personally I don't like Andrew Jackson after seeing a documentary about him BUT he was very influential in building the country.

Excellent post!

Also an excellent point. The Andrew Jackson $20 bill has already been brought up to security standards. I couldn't find a estimate on the cost of replacing the Jackson $20 bills but it would be in the many millions I'm sure.

My suggestion is, we did 50 different quarters for each state. So how about 50 more different quarters to honor women and others.
And another set of quarters to honor the great American artists/writers/musicians/actors etc.

Counterfeiting with the $5 bill? I would have thought the $100, $50, $20, or even the $10 being more likely for counterfeit, but I don't keep up with fiat news as much.
It's more common for lower currency to be counterfeit as it's easier to pass it off. People inspect high currency notes more closely. Just over 3% of British pound coins in circulation are fakes. We're moving to plastic banknotes starting next year so it'll be ok if you leave your money in your jeans pocket in the washing machine

I see the point that having someone on the currency of the country doesn't mean that you endorse what he did. However saying he was a great president would be hard to prove.

And another set of quarters to honor the great American artists/writers/musicians/actors etc.
I like that idea. I believe the U.S. mint makes money when they change the did the state quarters as people collect them, so it's like the U.S. Mint sells them.

If we're putting writers on money, I nominate Mark Twain.
Yup Mark Twain would be perfect. So would Jack London. Both were characters on one of my favorite TV shows. My favorite writer would me Hemingway.

I think we should replace him with Christopher Columbus

It's about time! I am so ready to spend my Melissa McCarthy money.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	MelissaMoney.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	20672