Film Noir HoF...Hall of Fame

Tools    

Just for fun, why did you rank Sweet Smell of Success so low? Same question to all.

Maybe I seen something different but I really liked that movie.

I wish we could do move of these Special Hofs.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Just for fun, why did you rank Sweet Smell of Success so low? Same question to all.

Maybe I seen something different but I really liked that movie.

I wish we could do move of these Special Hofs.

It wasn't really that I ranked Sweet Smell of Success so low. It was more that I ranked some of the other movies so high.

Basically I found the movie kind of predictable, and none of the characters were likable so I didn't have any emotions invested into what happens to them at the end of the movie.

none of the characters were likable so I didn't have any emotions invested into what happens to them at the end of the movie.
That makes sense. It's like what I said earlier that each of us has something different that we're looking for in a movie.

The one thing that most of us look for subconsciously is, a character to relate to in some way. Good movies have a character that allows us to experience the story through their character. I could see the two characters in Sweet Smell of Success were not readily indefinable for many people.

Am I making sense?

That makes sense. It's like what I said earlier that each of us has something different that we're looking for in a movie.

The one thing that most of us look for subconsciously is, a character to relate to in some way. Good movies have a character that allows us to experience the story through their character. I could see the two characters in Sweet Smell of Success were not readily indefinable for many people.

Am I making sense?

Yes. I understand what you mean. It's easier to like a movie if you can relate to someone in the movie. It kind of makes it feel more like you're experiencing the story, rather than just watching someone else's story.

My list:

1. Out of the Past
2. The Third Man
3. The Big Combo
4. Double Indemnity
5. Shadow of a Doubt
6. Pickup On South Street
7. Laura
8. Sunset Boulevard
9. The Set-Up
10. In a Lonely Place
11. Sweet Smell of Success
12. The Wrong Man
13. The Lady from Shanghai

Well done Sane and thanks for running the HoF Citizen, I really enjoyed all the films . I found it easy to do my top three, but after that I could pretty much have swapped all of them around as even at the bottom of my list were still films I liked. I was sorry that The Set Up ended up so low, I thought it was an excellent film. Watching The Third Man again, I realised I liked it even more than my own nomination of Double Indemnity.

Here's my list
1. The Third Man
2. Double Indemnity
3. The Set Up
4. In A Lonely Place
5. Sunset Boulevard
6. Out Of the Past
7. Shadow of a Doubt
8. Sweet Smell of Success
9 The Lady from Shanghai
10. Laura
11 The Wrong Man
12 Pickup on South Street
13 The Big Combo

Watching The Third Man again, I realised I liked it even more than my own nomination of Double Indemnity.
Ha, I had Double Indemnity over my nom Third Man. Guess me and you nominated the wrong films. I really love a bunch of these though, including Sweet Smell Of Success Citizen. I am becoming a noir junkie. I will have a bunch on my next 100 list, including a few of these.

Master of My Domain
Sane won again? I'm not even surprised anymore.

Congrats.

Ha, I had Double Indemnity over my nom Third Man...I am becoming a noir junkie. I will have a bunch on my next 100 list, including a few of these.
I did that too, I nominated Pickup on South Street but had Sweet Smell of Success as #1. I had considered other nomitations including 2 of my all time favorites, Double Indemity and In a Lonely Place.

I'm watching a noir tonight Now, I wish there was some sort of Noir tournament/series going on, anybody want to run one?

There were 4 people who voted for their own nominations. The majority voted for someone else's choice. Is that common in these HoFs?

I don't know if it's common, but it's pretty impressive. That means that people are picking movies that are good enough to beat other people's favorites.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Well, the winner doesn't surprise me at all, specially after reading the comments of everyone about it on this thread.
And I'm happy I entered the Top 5. What was really a shock was The Lady from Shangai ranking last! I almost ranked it 1st on my list, ahead of my own nomination because I really really loved it!

My list:

1. Sunset Boulevard
2. The Lady from Shangai
3. In Lonely Place
4. The Big Combo
5. The Third Man
6. The Set Up
7. The Wrong Man
8. Sweet Smell of Success
9. Double Indemnity
10.Out of the Past
11. Shadow of a Doubt
12. Pickup on South Street
13. Laura

I'm watching a noir tonight Now, I wish there was some sort of Noir tournament/series going on, anybody want to run one?
I will think about it. I would like to discover some more.

There were 4 people who voted for their own nominations. The majority voted for someone else's choice. Is that common in these HoFs?
It doesn't seem like it has been very common at all. I think it kind of goes back to a discussion that has come up surrounding these a few times. People nominated some real heavy hitters for this HOF. I love that, I wish that would happen more in the main one. You can still discover stuff. I hadn't even heard of In A Lonely Place or Out Of The Past before this, and I think they are both phenomenal.

I agree with Sean about the great nominations in this HoF. I'd heard of most of them, but not seen quite a few including one I really loved - The Set Up. Even the ones at the bottom of my list were rating a 7/10 . Truly difficult to rank.

I can't speak for Holden Pike but I gather that he nominated The Set-Up so we all could see an unusual noir that was not well known. The Set-Up and The Big Combo were the only two that I hadn't seen before. I enjoyed both of those.

But both scored low. I had The Big Combo at 7. I think some saw the characters as cold and clinical so the film wasn't rated will high. I thought that film had some initiative story elements. Especially the use of the loud music earphones as torture.

I knew The Big Combo had no chance of winning. I could have gone with The Maltese Falcon if I'd wanted even a chance of winning, but I was more interested in seeing new stuff. I might never have seen The Set-Up (especially since it's so hard to find) or Sweet Smell of Success if not for this HoF. The Lady from Shanghai I already had DVRed from TCM and would have watched it eventually, but it was the only film I didn't like.

I was thinking of joining but I knew I wouldn't have the time to see it through. The Maltese Falcon would've been my nom Kaplan, since I'm not too familiar with the genre and also it's a damn good film. Still I think I'll be using this thread for a reference, since I really need to explore more Noir.

Wow, I completely lost track of this one. But I did vote, back in March. And my ballot looked like this...

1. In A Lonely Place
2. Out of the Past
3. The Third Man
4. Laura
5. Double Indemnity
6. Pickup On South Street
7. Sunset Blvd.
8. The Set-Up
9. The Big Combo
10. Sweet Smell of Success
11. Shadow of a Doubt
12. The Lady from Shanghai
13. The Wrong Man

I'm very happy that Nic Ray's In A Lonely Place won. It's not only my favorite Noir, but one of my favorite movies, period! But that is a very respectable list, and a respectable order, too. As much as I love the Hitchcocks and as good and somewhat underrated as those two are in his own filmography, beyond his name brand recognition I don't think they are two of the very best or key classic Noirs. I was a bit fearful that they were going to migrate towards the top, just because they are Hitch. Our top five or six would be a healthy mix in virtually any discussion of the greatest films the genre has to offer.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra