Suspect's Top 50 Horror Films

→ in
Tools    

You're all brainwashed by the media.

SIXTH SENSE IS A HORROR MOVIE DAMMIT!

They're wrong. Listen to Eli Roth's Cabin Fever commentary, he talks about this.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

The Ring (2002)

Before you die....you see the ring

Here we have the first in the Japanese horror remakes that was trendy here in North America and it's the only good one. I can't say anything about the sequel because I did not watch it, but when I saw this in theatres, the girls near me were screaming their heads off when she came out of the television and I witnessed some truly great horror atmosphere in the theatre for the first time.

Naomi Watts is looking for a tape that supposedly kills the viewer 7 days after they watch it. The voice on the other end of the phone still sends chills down my spine. Verbinski's first big hit which really got his career moving. He knew that slow building tension and dread is what would drive the film. The mystery behind it would draw people in. Then attack them with an insane final act just when you think everything is safe.

I would love the watch the original, which is probably scarier given the non-hollywood budget and slickness, but as it stands, The Ring is one of the best horror films out there.

Suspect's Reviews

I loved the original, though I've only seen it twice I thought it was extremely effective and created a great atmosphere both times. I've still not seen The Ring.

The Sixth Sense may not be a horror film in the traditional sense, but I think it's creepier and has a more unsettling atmosphere than most horror films. I don't even believe in ghosts, but The Sixth Sense always makes me feel like I'm being watched afterwards, which is an unsettling feeling. The scene where the boy is in the tent and the ghost shows up is far scarier than most horror films as a whole, so I think it's an excellent inclusion to your list.

The Ring is also very effective at creeping me the hell out. The image of the girl crawling out of the well is incredibly unnerving and I think the idea of a video tape that kills you is a brilliant premise for a horror film. "It's only a movie," you tell yourself, but when you see ***** start crawling through the television screen, well, you don't feel quite as comfortable.

I'm an idiot. I made up a list in word of my top 50....then for some reason thought it was 25.

It just clicked now that I'm numbering the films wrong.

FIXED.

The list continues...

edit - now if a mod can change the title...???

REC (2007)

One Witness. One Camera

A reporter and her cameraman respond with an emergency crew to an apartment building, but soon find themselves quarantined inside with something....deadly.

One of the found footage entries, that actually has a creative justification as to why the camera keeps running. I caught this film before the horrid American remake came out and it was terrifyingly awesome.

The terror is there, the suspense is there, the dread and horror are there. Unknown actors (to me) made the film feel more authentic with the "found footage" aspect, which is why the remake fails in my opinion.

If only the one poster didn't give away the ending, this could have been higher.

Martyrs (2008)

They did not finish to be alive...

This was a tough watch for me, both times.

A young girl is abused, force fed slop and chained up. She escapes, but is haunted by a ghastly looking demon girl who continue to inflict harm on her. She is sent to an orphanage, where she makes friends with another girl. 15 years later, she seeks revenge on the people that did this to her. What she and her friend end up going through, is more haunting than they imagined.

I didn't know what to expect going in and the film punched me in the gut, hard. The torture, the depravity, the humiliation, everything just struck me as I sat watching this expertly crafted, yet tough to watch experience of a film. I felt dirty afterwards.

The film feels like two films in one and the moment it takes that unexpected turn is when the true horror starts. The real world horror.

Emotionally draining film that gives us no hope for the characters involved. This is a watch once only film, but I decided to watch it twice. Hopefully there won't be a third.

I can't remember if it was Rec or the remake, Quarantine, that I saw, but whichever one it was, I liked it.

I was disappointed in Martyrs. I loved the first 25 minutes or so, but after that, it felt lame, like I had seen it all before. I think I could potentially enjoy it more with another viewing.

The Sixth Sense is most definitely a horror film. People think horror has to scare people, it doesn't. The genre has certain themes, ideas, and elements. They can be bloody, mysterious, campy, suspenseful, dramatic, funny, etc.

The Sixth Sense has a lot of themes, ideas and elements that run rampant in horror films. We have a frightened child who sees dead people, they are trying to enter his world and he's terrified of them. They are of supernatural origin. That sounds like the horror genre to me. It's told in a dramatic way, yet there are elements that are scary; such as Marisa Cooper (ha) vomiting poison under the tent, or the image of the people hanging in the hallway.

To the list now:

Rec is indeed one of the better found footage films and I agree about the remake being rubbish.

You're Next was fun for horror fans, Friday the 13th is considered an iconic horror film and Martyrs is hard to stomach.

You should see Ringu, it's more terrifying than the Hollywood version.

As for Wrong Turn...