Miss Vicky's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

Lots of new favorites lists around here lately! One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Django Unchained are both great. Haven't seen the rest.
^pretty much this. Django Unchained is an awesome gritty western, and One Flew Over is a touching drama.

95. Gods And Monsters (1998)

Director: Bill Condon
Cast: Ian McKellen, Brendan Fraser, Lynn Redgrave, Lolita Davidovich

Why I Love It: It's a very touching but also funny story that gives us a glimpse of old Hollywood. Ian McKellen turns in a fine performance as James Whale, director of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, who in the last days of his life finds an unlikely friend in his newly hired and very handsome groundskeeper, played by Brendan Fraser.

94. Charlotte's Web (1973)

Directors: Charles A. Nichols, Iwao Takamoto
Cast: Debbie Reynolds, Henry Gibson, Paul Lynde, Agnes Moorehead, Danny Bonaduce

Why I Love It: Templeton. Seriously. Even as a child I never really cared much for Wilbur, Charlotte or Fern, but I've always loved that damn rat. I even love his fair song and I usually hate musical numbers. This movie is also probably largely responsible for my near lifelong love of pet rats, the first of which was, of course, named Templeton.

93. Schindler's List (1993)

Director: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley, Ralph Fiennes, Embeth Davidtz

Why I Love It: It's probably the most moving film I've ever seen. The cinematography is gorgeous and the performances are universally great. However, it's a misnomer to call this movie a "favorite." It really isn't, because it's not a particularly enjoyable film to watch. I've included it here because I have a lot of respect for it and I feel that everybody needs to watch it at least once. I've seen it several times but I can only stand to watch it once every few years because each viewing takes an immense emotional toll on me.

You know you've got me with these three choices, MV. Especially the first two.

BTW, have you seen that Sir Ian has signed on to play an elderly Sherlock Holmes, directed by Bill Condon? It's called A Slight Trick of the Mind and here's a brief synopsis.

In 1947, Sherlock Holmes, long retired, lives in a sleepy Sussex village with his housekeeper and her amateur-sleuthing son. But far from living out a peaceful retirement, he is haunted by an unsolved case from fifty years ago. He remembers only fragments: a confrontation with an angry husband, a secret bond with his beautiful but unstable wife.

With his legendary mental powers on the wane, and without his old sidekick Watson, Holmes is faced with the toughest case of his life — a case that might finally reveal to him the mysteries of the human heart.

Now, I'm looking forward to that.

BTW, have you seen that Sir Ian has signed on to play an elderly Sherlock Holmes, directed by Bill Condon? It's called A Slight Trick of the Mind and here's a brief synopsis.
That does sound really interesting and, actually, Gods and Monsters isn't the only Condon film to make it onto my top 100 (and no, I'm not talking about Twilight: Breaking Dawn). More on that later.

And Sexy, honey, sorry but I think I may disappoint you.

92. Tuck Everlasting (2002)

Director: Jay Russell
Cast: Alexis Bledel, William Hurt, Sissy Spacek, Jonathon Jackson, Ben Kingsley, Scott Bairstow

Why I Love It: This is a pretty faithful adaptation of a novel of the same name and the book was a childhood favorite. It's a sweet little romance about the wonders and pitfalls of everlasting love and everlasting life. It has a certain innocent charm to it that I find very appealing.

91. Of Mice And Men (1992)

Director: Gary Sinise
Cast: John Malkovich, Gary Sinise, Ray Walston, Casey Siemaszko, Sherilynn Fenn, Joe Morton, Alexis Arquette

Why I Love It: Another faithful adaptation of a favorite novel. I've seen three different film versions of Steinbeck's classic, but I've always felt that this one featured the strongest performances. Gary Sinise and John Malkovich are both excellent and the rest of cast are very good as well. Then again, Malkovich is always great and you'll find him in quite a few of the upcoming films on this list.

Of Mice and Men the movie is fine, but the acting is a bit laughable at times. The novel is brilliant, though. Read and watched in English class.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

"Laughable" was a very poor choice of words on my part.

John Malkovich was excellent as Lennie, and played the part great. I just didn't enjoy Gary Sinise's performance as much. It's hard to describe, but at some points I didn't feel like his heart was fully in the role.

The movie as a whole was good.

I hate both the book and the movie for Of [Mice] and Men
Well if you hated the book there's little hope for you liking the movie. I assume you read/watched it for school?

Of Mice and Men was one of only three novels I can recall having to read for school that I actually enjoyed (the others were Lord of the Flies and After the First Death) but unfortunately we did not get to watch the 1992 version of the film. Instead we had to watch the 1981 made for TV version starring Robert Blake and Randy Quaid (terrible) and the 1939 black and white version starring Burgess Meredith and Lon Chaney, Jr (decent). I watched the Sinise one on my own.

I just didn't enjoy Gary Sinise's performance as much. It's hard to describe, but at some points I didn't feel like his heart was fully in the role.
I did not expect that response.

And I couldn't disagree more. I felt his performance was understated, but that's the nature of the role itself and he gave the role what it deserved and required. And as actor, director and producer of the film, if his heart wasn't in it, the movie wouldn't have been made.

But we all have our own perceptions.