Interesting Film Priest Characters - My List

Tools    

9. Jerry Connolly by Pat O'Brien, Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) by Michael Curtiz

Jerry Connolly is a catholic priest who tries to stop gangster (his childhood friend) corrupting youth in neighbourhood.

8. Father Lucas Trevant by Anthony Hopkins, The Rite (2011) by Mikael Håfström

Father Lucas Trevant is an Exorcist in Rome with questionable methods yet successful and true believer. Loosely based on real Father Gabriele Amorth, Exorcist of Rome.

7. Father Chuck O'Malley by Bing Crosby, The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) by Leo McCarey

Father Chuck O'Malley, a catholic priest trying to do some good rebuilding a school.

6. Father Gabriel by Jeremy Irons, The Mission (1986) by Roland Joffé

Father Gabriel, Jesuit priest, missionary in South America, who builds a mission and tries to protect the Indians against Portuguese colonialist.

5. Father Karras by Jason Miller, The Exorcist (1973) by William Friedkin

Father Karras, the Jesuit priest and psychiatrist, first doubts and then in pursuit of evil.

4. Father Merrin by Max von Sydow, The Exorcist (1973) by William Friedkin

Father Merrin, the Jesuit priest, scholar and exorcist fighting an evil entity that possessed a teenage girl.

3. Ivan by Mads Mikkelsen, Adams æbler (2005) by Anders Thomas Jensen

Ivan, a priest in a rural church, sees the world through the rose-colored glasses, taking care of paroled convicts and wanting to bake a perfect apple pie.

2. Priest of Ambricourt by Claude Laydu, Journal d'un curé de campagne (1951) by Robert Bresson

Priest of Ambricourt, the saddest priest in the world, new to a small French town, teased and ridiculed, diligently making entries to his journal.

1. Léon Morin by Jean-Paul Belmondo, Léon Morin, prêtre (1961) by Jean-Pierre Melville

Léon Morin, young and handsome priest in a war ridden French town, giving a guidance to a young woman who eventually falls in love with him.

Try

Father Tomas Ericsson played by Gunnar Bjornstrand in the Ingmar Bergman film A Winters Light. Hears the gospel for the first time, decades after he becomes a priest, from the most unlikely of sources.

The Devils=Urbain Grandier=Oliver Reed
Robert De Niro=Father Bobby=Sleepers
San Francisco=Tim Mullin=Spencer Tracy
Kid Monk Baroni=Father Callahan=Richard Rober
Lawnmower Man=Jeremy Slate=Fr. Francis McKeen

18. Rev. Graham Hess by Mel Gibson, Signs (2002) by M. Night Shyamalan

Rev. Graham Hess, a pastor and widower who lost his faith and strange things start to happen around his farm.
God, I hated this movie.

5. Father Karras by Jason Miller, The Exorcist (1973) by William Friedkin

Father Karras, the Jesuit priest and psychiatrist, first doubts and then in pursuit of evil.

Jason Miller was BRILLIANT in this movie.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Missing...

Byrne from Stigmata (1999)

Roache and Wilkinson from Priest (1994)

Koteas from The Prophecy (1995)

and I'll toss this one in, for fun.

Jason Miller was BRILLIANT in this movie.
you probably know that but Father Dyer and and the other older priest character that was grabbing bear with Father Karras were the actual priests from, I think, New York Diocese

Missing...

Byrne from Stigmata (1999)

Roache and Wilkinson from Priest (1994)

Koteas from The Prophecy (1995)

and I'll toss this one in, for fun.

ive seen these except Priest, gonna check it out

Try

Father Tomas Ericsson played by Gunnar Bjornstrand in the Ingmar Bergman film A Winters Light. Hears the gospel for the first time, decades after he becomes a priest, from the most unlikely of sources.
i missed this one .thanks for the tip