Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Mother Joan of the Angels (Kawalerowicz, 1961)

Dr. David Sorfa of The University of Edinburgh has a terrific paper on this movie. You should read that.
https://www.academia.edu/12090025/Mo...lerowicz_1960_

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
Ghost - 10/10
Gravity - 10/10

Would say more, but I'm a tad stressed for time.

Unregistered User
Was that your first viewing of "Minnie and Moskowitz"? I remember I first saw it at the age of 22, and I was annoyed until the end - I think because it was radically different than the movies I was watching. I saw it at another time a few years later, and then a few months ago, I saw it again, and I gave it an 8 or 9, I loved it, and I find that with all the Cassavetes movies - they keep getting better and better. I think part of it might be due to the fact he never spoon-fed the audience, and I always discover new stuff.

First viewing of M&M yes. I liked it but it never hit the heights of Cassavetes other films. The scene with the mothers was hilarious though.

Still to see Too Late Blues and Big Trouble but I rank his work:-

1. Woman under Influence
2. Chinese Bookie
3. Love Streams
4. Opening Night
5. Faces
6. Husbands
7. Gloria
8. Child is waiting
9. Minnie
10. Shadows

How come its always Camo that spots the mistakes?!

The Light Between Oceans (2016)

The movie is about this enormous moral dilemma. Characters are torn between sadness and anger. Their conscience was truly speaking to them each with a different approach to the issue. Even I was torn between sympathy and disagreement. Up until now everything played to my cards. However screenplay and directing was torn between too many aspects. The cast was excellent. I could see the true emotions but why to do so much underlining of emotions? Let's say there is an emotion expressed by story itself, plus the same emotions expressed by an actor and on top of it the emotion is underlined by change of weather or different shot of ocean, landscape and such. I don't find this emotional crescendo necessary. Also, I haven't read the novel, but I think the story in the book is more extensive and it is not always possible to make a picture of all of it. Well, I think, Derek Cianfrance tend to squeeze all of it in 133 minutes. It was too packed.

Summa summarum, the story was interesting, cast did their best, visuals were beautiful however the execution of the movie went wrong. It didn't reach out to me how this kind of story supposed to.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
First viewing of M&M yes. I liked it but it never hit the heights of Cassavetes other films. The scene with the mothers was hilarious though.

Still to see Too Late Blues and Big Trouble but I rank his work:-

1. Woman under Influence
2. Chinese Bookie
3. Love Streams
4. Opening Night
5. Faces
6. Husbands
7. Gloria
8. Child is waiting
9. Minnie
10. Shadows

How come its always Camo that spots the mistakes?!
Too Late Blues is the best movie about music -- strongly urge to see it. It was made in the studio, still great, but he went independent after this starting with "Faces"

John didn't even want his name on "Big Trouble" -- Peter Falk was starring in the movie, and they fired the original director in mind, and Peter asked John to do it as a favor, and John took it (probably for medical bills, since he was dying) but part of the deal was to put in his name. Stanley Kramer did the same thing -- weasel.

I couldn't get into Bookie -- so muddled, I will try one day.. I'll try to list my Top 10.

1. A Woman Under The Influence
2. A Child Is Waiting
3. Too Late Blues
4. Love Streams
5. Minnie and Moskowitz
6. Husbands
7. Opening Night
8. Gloria
9. Shadows
10. Faces

Conrack - 7/10

Could have been better. Jon Voigt is a good actor, but this isn't one of his best, and some of his material was bad. Maybe this is Ritt trying to compromise (he was blacklisted) -- I've seen his talent (Hombre is on TCM tonight).

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Tower Block (2012)
+

I don't regret watching it. It was good enough.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
And So It Goes (2014)
+

A lot better than Dirty Grandpa. Douglas is great as a grumpy, horny, rude and outspoken grandpa.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
And So It Goes (2014)
+

A lot better than Dirty Grandpa. Douglas is great as a grumpy, horny, rude and outspoken grandpa.
She looks straight out of Something's Gotta Give.

Suspect's Reviews

The Light Between Oceans (2016)

I watched this last night, I found it only average. Visually it was artistically beautiful, with it's muted earth tone colors and soft diffusion look. The story premise too, of a man and his wife alone on a remote island tending a lighthouse, was very promising. This is the type of movie I love.

But the director/writer never really made me feel like I was privy to the lives of the couple. I never felt their emotions (at least for the first half of the film anyway). We see snippets of the character's lives but the moments in between, that are so important for developing finesse, are often missing. I never felt a connection to the characters as the scenes are too brief and mainly function on a surface level. I wanted a deeper existential film and this ain't it.

The Front - 7.5/10

I wish this movie had a more serious tone, with a virile leading man. The blacklist killed any sense of balance (politically) in the US, and the Left died and never recovered. You can't have a blacklist in a free country.

Punch-Drunk Love (2002) -

This deserves a perfect rating because Paul Thomas Anderson managed to make Adam Sandler act

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.